Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 19:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy going forward.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Strategy going forward. [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 16:43
Hey all,thanks for taking time out and reading.I wanted to take advise from all of you to improve my score.In terms of my score, I have come a long way(like really from 470 to 600ish),but somehow I am feeling that plateau effect.I have given three tests so far and scores are:- GMAT prep1 = 670(48Q34V) GMAT prep 2 = 650 (46Q32V) Kaplan online test = 660

Verbal --

I mostly used MGMAT SC and Powerscore books.I have tried OG12/13.I frequently commit mistakes in Sentence correction(5-6 q wrong) and 2-3 Q in RC(due of lapse in concentration)

What should be my action plan to improve my verbal score and how to gauge the progress?

For Quant, I have identified some of my areas and I would like to see Q50 by working on them.Whatever I have read on the forums it is matter of 3-4 more questions.

-Work on Geometry,Probablity questions to improve my Math score.
-Keep working on Number props.

But the real boost I need is in verbal like a V38 and above is what I am aspiring for.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2021 [0], given: 30

Re: Strategy going forward. [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 08:55
Expert's post
arkle wrote:
Hey all,thanks for taking time out and reading.I wanted to take advise from all of you to improve my score.In terms of my score, I have come a long way(like really from 470 to 600ish),but somehow I am feeling that plateau effect.I have given three tests so far and scores are:- GMAT prep1 = 670(48Q34V) GMAT prep 2 = 650 (46Q32V) Kaplan online test = 660

Verbal --

I mostly used MGMAT SC and Powerscore books.I have tried OG12/13.I frequently commit mistakes in Sentence correction(5-6 q wrong) and 2-3 Q in RC(due of lapse in concentration)

What should be my action plan to improve my verbal score and how to gauge the progress?

For Quant, I have identified some of my areas and I would like to see Q50 by working on them.Whatever I have read on the forums it is matter of 3-4 more questions.

-Work on Geometry,Probablity questions to improve my Math score.
-Keep working on Number props.

But the real boost I need is in verbal like a V38 and above is what I am aspiring for.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Dear arkle,

I'm happy to share what I can. :-)

I don't know your time frame remaining, but I want to recommend this 3-month study plan that is simply designed for folks in your situation:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/3-month-gm ... l-focused/
If you have less time remaining, perhaps you can pick and choose from that plan --- certainly some of the introductory stuff would be too basic for you at this point.

On the math side, here's a blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/how-to-stu ... gmat-math/
You will also find several articles about geometry on that free blog.

On the verbal side, here are a couple collections of questions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-criti ... questions/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-sente ... questions/
That second collection links to a bunch of individual articles, each one explaining grammar points you may find helpful.

I hope all this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Strategy going forward. [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 15:04
Mike, Thanks for taking time out and guiding me. It seems to me that the way to improve is practice and more practice.Unfortunately, there is no shortcut which I can take and skip the good ol' fashioned hard work.I have read many people talking about going over OG 12/13 multiple times.I wonder how much that help.What purpose does that solve. Also, what is your opinion about 1000 CR/SC/RC. Thanks so much.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 493

Kudos [?]: 2021 [0], given: 30

Re: Strategy going forward. [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2013, 10:08
Expert's post
arkle wrote:
Mike, Thanks for taking time out and guiding me. It seems to me that the way to improve is practice and more practice.Unfortunately, there is no shortcut which I can take and skip the good ol' fashioned hard work.I have read many people talking about going over OG 12/13 multiple times. I wonder how much that help.What purpose does that solve. Also, what is your opinion about 1000 CR/SC/RC. Thanks so much.

Dear Arkle,

I am not familiar enough with the 1000 CR/SC/RC to comment. Here are some reviews I will recommend:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-book-reviews-2013/
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/best-gmat- ... rces-2013/

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Strategy going forward.   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2013, 10:08