Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy- Help!!!!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Strategy- Help!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 08:00
Hi,

I am starting out with my GMAT prep. I gave a GMATPrep mock to see whr I stand. My results are as follows:

Q39 V35 : 620

I plan to take the GMAT sometime in OCTOBER and am looking for a 10 point increase in both quant and verbal, taking my score to about 740-750.

I was hoping if someone could tell me how reasonable are my goals.

I am starting my preparation by taking a knewton course to get my basics in place. I plan to go through with the course in about a month and then start self preparin by goin thru OG12 and other material.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to proceed, I am in a really tight spot and a good GMAT seems to be the only way out for me. Desperately seeking help.

Thanks.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Strategy- Help!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 23:32
Guys plz.. if someone could guide me. I know its a great community with a lot of great people who can show me the way..

thanks in advance
A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Strategy- Help!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 02:46
asuhag wrote:
Hi,

I am starting out with my GMAT prep. I gave a GMATPrep mock to see whr I stand. My results are as follows:

Q39 V35 : 620

I plan to take the GMAT sometime in OCTOBER and am looking for a 10 point increase in both quant and verbal, taking my score to about 740-750.

I was hoping if someone could tell me how reasonable are my goals.

I am starting my preparation by taking a knewton course to get my basics in place. I plan to go through with the course in about a month and then start self preparin by goin thru OG12 and other material.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to proceed, I am in a really tight spot and a good GMAT seems to be the only way out for me. Desperately seeking help.

Thanks.

hi Asuhag,

First - welcome to GMAT Club forum! It is indeed a great place to get advice and learn from lots of people willing to help.

Coming to your question: if you took the test without any prep at all, then it looks good and your target of 740-750 seems achievable. You may find somewhere on this forum if you search that "bb" founder of GMAT Club and 750 on GMAT had a start out score of ~580 (bb - dont ban me if I got it wrong :) ) and he also talks about his friend who got in high 500s and ended up with 730+, so your target score is indeed reasonable.

You should analyze your test results to identify your strengths and weaknesses and use that as a starting point for you prep. Knewton course sounds like a good way of getting understanding of all sections on GMAT. you are heading in the right direction so be confident and get to the task. Also, if you have any specific questions post them and people will respond.

Looking for Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Re: Strategy- Help!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 03:38
Hi vinayrsm,

Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions.

Yes the score was without any preparation. I hope I manage to reach my goals. Its always inspiring to hear about people who made such large leaps (500's to 700's). I hope I can follow the footsteps :)

Thanks again..

A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Strategy- Help!!!!!!! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 12:42
Welcome to GMAT club.

I think a 100-150 point increase in score is achievable through 2-3 months of consistent studying. I would recommend the MGMAT strategy guides for the basics, OG 12, Verbal Review, Quant Review for the retired GMAT questions and MGMAT and GMATPrep for the full length CATs. If you look at this forum, you will find a number of do it yourself study plans. Good Luck!

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Re: Strategy- Help!!!!!!!   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2011, 12:42