Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Strategy Question [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 11:54
Hi All,

I'm about three weeks into preparing for the GMAT. I started by going through questions from the official guide. (13th edition) However, I have heard that isn't really a great strategy. Could someone enlighten me?

I hope to take GMAT within the next 6 months. If I can break 700 I will be more than pleased.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Strategy Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 01:32
Hi!!
I am a GMAT trainer from Calcutta, INDIA. In my experience the Official Guides are only indicative of the nature of the questions and the relative weights of question sub types. For example, if we look at "evaluate the argument" type of questions in CR, we find that while OG 11 had only 2 questions of this type, OG 12 and OG 13 have 13 and 21 questions respectively. Thus we can conclude that, now, questions of this type are tested more frequently.
However, since the OGs contain questions that span the the entire score range, only a few OG questions are of the 700+ standard. Moreover, all these are retired questions, and are somewhat different from the actual questions that are being written now. To do well on the GMAT, on must solve questions that are similar to the ones that have recently been tested on the GMAT.
Hence, my advice to you is that you do not limit yourself to just the OG, but, rather, look at other sources of questions.
With Regards,
AGNISHWAR
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Strategy Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 06:09
Start here:

everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-129968.html

The OG is a good start and could possibly be enough for you, or it could be the beginning of a more lengthy prep process. Everyone has different needs to break the 700 mark.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Strategy Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 17:33
Thanks for the responses. I realize I am many months away from being ready. It is my intention to join an on-demand, online course like Knewton or Veritas. I am also aware that many resources (particularly books and practice tests) must be used.

Right now, I'm getting many questions right, but I need to work on speed.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 6

Re: Strategy Question [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 19:20
Expert's post
Just as a caution, don't be fooled by just getting questions right. Many students panic on test day and questions they normally would have gotten correct they don't on the real test and their scores show it. You want to go into the exam practicing your ability to "sprint" through GMAT questions and develop utmost confidence when choosing an answer choice and then hitting "NEXT". Once you hit that next button, there is no going back so you want to be absolutely confident that you've picked the right answer (without wavering and wasting time) and then move on.

OG13 questions are the most reflective of what you'll see on the exam today. Don't forget to spend some time with Integrated Reasoning - not as important as verbal and quant but these questions are harder. And they may mess with your mind and throw you off track. So, just don't neglect this new section.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Strategy Question   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2012, 19:20