Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 12:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategy to increase quant score and timing

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 00:32
Hi all
I have already posted two topics only to find very few replies. I will try to be more precise in this post.
I got Q36 in the official GMAT test. I was able to do only 34 sums on the test day. So obviously i have issues with timing. I have used MGMAT strategy guides for my Quant preparation.
Im fine with most of the topics, i need practice and strategy to move my score beyond 46 consistently.

I hope there will be people who would have increased their score in quants from 36 to 46+ in this forum for sure.
can you please suggest me the best possible way to go ahead

Thanks in advance!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: RHCE , CCNA, MCSE and Now GMAT ;)
WE: Operations (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 02:52
Try gmat club tests. They increase the endurance and teach u lot of strategies to save time and also pep your quant scores.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4779 [0], given: 163

Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 03:12
Expert's post
iwillgetit100 wrote:
Hi all
I have already posted two topics only to find very few replies. I will try to be more precise in this post.
I got Q36 in the official GMAT test. I was able to do only 34 sums on the test day. So obviously i have issues with timing. I have used MGMAT strategy guides for my Quant preparation.
Im fine with most of the topics, i need practice and strategy to move my score beyond 46 consistently.

I hope there will be people who would have increased their score in quants from 36 to 46+ in this forum for sure.
can you please suggest me the best possible way to go ahead

Thanks in advance!!!

To go from 36 to 46, I would advice you to practice trickier questions. I am sure your basics are not bad but you are probably not very good in advanced applications. Veritas has an advanced word problems book for Quant which includes tricky problems from all topics. We also discuss alternative strategies for solving the harder questions in that. That might be just the thing for you.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:53
Hi thanks karishma and hoogly for the reply.
As suggested by everyone i will go for GMAT club tests and veristas.
to unlock the major tests we need to pay 70$ ok lemme do that..
karishma can you help me buy the book in India..
which is the correct place to buy it. if it is available in stores would buy it rather than waiting for the shipping time..

Thanks again for the reply!!!!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4779 [0], given: 163

Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 20:45
Expert's post
iwillgetit100 wrote:
Hi thanks karishma and hoogly for the reply.
As suggested by everyone i will go for GMAT club tests and veristas.
to unlock the major tests we need to pay 70$ ok lemme do that..
karishma can you help me buy the book in India..
which is the correct place to buy it. if it is available in stores would buy it rather than waiting for the shipping time..

Thanks again for the reply!!!!

You will need to order the book through flipkart.com

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 124

Kudos [?]: 212 [1] , given: 10

Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you were unable to complete the quant section, the first thing you need to focus on is your timing. Leaving questions unanswered at the end will always demolish your score. You need to make a commitment to yourself that you will *never* time out again. This is a very realistic commitment to make, because you can control how much time you spend on each problem. The key to finishing on time is to identify the "killer" problems that are going to waste your time, and then drop those problems (by guessing randomly or making an educated guess/estimate). It's importatnt to understand that even at the 700 level, you should expect to miss about 40% of the problems. Don't get stuck on the craziest problems--just say "this is one of the problems I'm going to miss" and move on.

The next step is to make sure that you are solid in all your fundamentals. Although it is certainly important to practice with some difficult problems, you should put most of your attention into problems below the 700 level. This is where you need to be very strong and accurate. Make sure that for each problem type, you are able to quickly identify what you are being asked to do, and then follow up with an appropriate strategy. The harder the problem, the more likely it is that there will be some kind of trick or complication. If your underlying technique is strong, you will be able to devote some attention to these kinds of details.

If you have a reliable approach for each problem type, this will allow you to move a little faster. If you also make sure to let the hardest problems go, your timing should even out without increasing the number of problems you miss. In that case, you might easily make a large improvement in your quant score in a short time.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 02:52
I am also facing the same problem... IMO GMAT club tests are good for improving timing.

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8199 [0], given: 3641

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2011, 10:40
Expert's post
Here are my thoughts on timing strategies: timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html?fl=menu

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Strategy to increase quant score and timing   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2011, 10:40