Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 18:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 07:06
Hi,

I took the GMAT a week ago and scored a 700 (Quant 48/ Verbal 38); although I don't know for sure yet, I'm pretty confident I got a 6 on the AWA. In terms of the IR, I didn't study the section much and wouldn't be surprised if I came back with a low score (e.g. 3 or 4). I was hoping to apply to business schools this year, but don't want the IR score to be the thing that holds me back.

To provide a little more context about me, I went to a top 20 liberal arts college (e.g. Amherst, Colby, or Colgate) where I got a 3.45 GPA while double majoring in Government and Middle Eastern Studies. I have worked at an major consulting firm (e.g. Deloitte, IBM, Accenture) for the past 3 years and spent almost a year of that working in Afghanistan doing economic development. The one area I'm a little weak in is the quant skills. Due to AP classes in high school, I passed out of all math course requirements in college and didn't take any.

I really want to go to a top 15 school such as Berkeley, NYU, or Northwestern, but I'm not sure if it's even possible with a low IR score. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 528 [1] , given: 0

Re: Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 08:31
This post received
KUDOS
jysail15 wrote:
Hi,

I took the GMAT a week ago and scored a 700 (Quant 48/ Verbal 38); although I don't know for sure yet, I'm pretty confident I got a 6 on the AWA. In terms of the IR, I didn't study the section much and wouldn't be surprised if I came back with a low score (e.g. 3 or 4). I was hoping to apply to business schools this year, but don't want the IR score to be the thing that holds me back.

To provide a little more context about me, I went to a top 20 liberal arts college (e.g. Amherst, Colby, or Colgate) where I got a 3.45 GPA while double majoring in Government and Middle Eastern Studies. I have worked at an major consulting firm (e.g. Deloitte, IBM, Accenture) for the past 3 years and spent almost a year of that working in Afghanistan doing economic development. The one area I'm a little weak in is the quant skills. Due to AP classes in high school, I passed out of all math course requirements in college and didn't take any.

I really want to go to a top 15 school such as Berkeley, NYU, or Northwestern, but I'm not sure if it's even possible with a low IR score. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Would you be willing to take 1-2 quant courses (freshman level classes in calculus, stats, algebra, accounting, finance, etc.) through an online extension program like UCLA? I think regardless of what your IR score is, you probably should do that to give the adcom some comfort that you'll be able to handle the quant aspects of an MBA program.

If you're able to do that, then I think you should be competitive for the schools you listed (and I would recommend adding 2-3 more schools to that list, since b-school admissions is a numbers game as well, and you want to maximize your odds by applying to a sufficient number of schools).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 584 [0], given: 30

Re: Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2013, 23:34
Expert's post
It's possible, forget about IR. It doesn't matter. As for being weak in quant, Alex' suggestion is a fine one, but since you have a good GMAT it is not something you have to get done before you apply. (Meaning if you write in the optional essay "I intend to take three quant courses: X Y and Z before matriculating", it's enough). It'll save you time, and allow you to do it at a time when you need it more (rught before your studies).

So your GMAT is very good. Your work experience seems nice, but I'm missing too much info to give you any sort of real eval. What did you do? did you lead people? what were your responsibilities? what were your achievements? what have you got for volunteer work? additional languages? who was your employer? What about extra currics at college?

All this stuff counts, so feel free to elaborate here, and I'll happily get back to you with my eval.

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts? [#permalink] New post 29 May 2013, 10:23
jysail15,
I would not worry about the IR score. Business schools are still learning how to weigh/evaluate the IR score; it matters far less than your Quant and Verbal scores, which are good. It will not 'hold you back' especially in that your profile sounds strong: good branding, good GPA, unusual experience in Afghanistan. Based only on your post, I would say that Haas is perhaps a reach for you, but you should be competitive at NYU, Kellogg, and other top 15 schools like Ross, Duke, Darden, UCLA, and perhaps others. I would need to see your resume/CV to give you more concrete odds: paulbodine@yahoo.com.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Re: Strong GMAT Score but low IR- Thoughts?   [#permalink] 29 May 2013, 10:23