Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 10 Jul 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strong on DS. Average on PS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Strong on DS. Average on PS [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 14:14
Hey Guys,

I've been working away on the OG. Got through roughly 100 DS and 100 PS problems. My average scores are DS - 91% and PS 70 %. My primary degree is in Computer Science so I have a good background in mathematics. I'm just wondering is there anyone out there with this kind of imbalance in their scoring? I see a lot of posts about people wanting to improve their DS scores.. possibly more so than PS. Is this the case? I'm new to the forum still..

I would also like to hear from people who started off with a PS average like mine and cranked it up to 90%+ . Is this possible if I keep practicing?

Cheers,

Aztec
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strong on DS. Average on PS [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 14:54
This would actually make sense to me. A CS background is probably more suited to thinking in terms of logic, which bodes well for DS. I came from an engineering background and physical problem solving was much more commonplace. It's good for you, there are only a select number of types of problems you're likely to see. It seems like they're able to come up with endless DS questions. Though I didn't like DS, so maybe it's all in my mind...

I'd say keep practicing, maybe a GRE book or something simple would help you make sure you have all the concepts.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2132

Kudos [?]: 7260 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Strong on DS. Average on PS [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 15:07
Expert's post
Aztec wrote:
Hey Guys,

I would also like to hear from people who started off with a PS average like mine and cranked it up to 90%+ . Is this possible if I keep practicing?

Cheers,

Aztec

The answer is Maybe.
You need to build a solid foundation in math. Tests will help you with finding holes that you can patch, but books will help you with building a wall that has no holes and does not need patching. Get a good math book that actually teaches you math (even though you have a CS background). Then practice. Also, look into getting an error log - there are many templates circulating on the forum.

Also, if you feel that most practice questions are too easy, try the GMAT Club Tests

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strong on DS. Average on PS [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 17:14
I find my self on the other side here. I consistently take long time for DS questions even though I am a CS student. I feel that GMAT DS has become more and more trickery to a point where I feel that we are being tested for tricks and not just math. One might disagree, but what is the point in hiding some thing and testing whether the test taker can recognize it. There is virtually no end for the degree of hiding GMAC can resort to. I feel that its high time GMAC has to go back to the drawing board and come up with some thing else. B T W, DS questions encourage guessing, which I absolutely hate. I guess "guess it or lose it" is the mantra.

As far as PS is concerned, you are lucky. Most GMAT PS question types can be seen in OG and GMAT prep and GC. You can easily build on the PS questions as long as you have concepts. I felt that we need concepts and calmness to solve the PS questions. Freaking out seeing 5 line PS work problem or a figure with triangle in circle will make a solvable but tough problem more difficult. If you are confident that you have all the concepts in your brain, You seem to because you are saying that you are good with DS ( concepts + trickery), You should be good with PS sooner or later.

Now My Q to you guys is How to get the DS questions done with success rate (> 90%) with in 2 minutes? I am talking about DS questions that one would call 700+ level Q's. Thats where I loose time and have to chose an answer randomly for the last 2 or 3 questions, esp the ones that involve multiple cases..
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Strong on DS. Average on PS [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 11:14
Aztec wrote:
Hey Guys,

I've been working away on the OG. Got through roughly 100 DS and 100 PS problems. My average scores are DS - 91% and PS 70 %. My primary degree is in Computer Science so I have a good background in mathematics. I'm just wondering is there anyone out there with this kind of imbalance in their scoring? I see a lot of posts about people wanting to improve their DS scores.. possibly more so than PS. Is this the case? I'm new to the forum still..

Cheers,

Aztec

Knowing which subjects are tested on GMAT is essential for you. Being good at DS means a lot in the GMAT, but Problem Solving is "the name of the game". There is 22 PS questions and 15 DS, usualy DS are more time cnsuming. Luckily, PS requires significantly less prep time.

First, you have to know exactly which math areas are tested and OG will help you determine that. There is very few questions (if any) spotted on the real thing that are going out of the scope of OG, and those were probably experimentals. It is essential to know which areas are tested, otherwise you are going to lurk around whole math and waste your time.

Second, it is necessary that you determine which areas are your weak spots and than to work on them. For that, you need some good comprehensive guide such as MGMAT or something like that. These books will strengthen your fundamentals, especialy in your weak areas.

Definitely you have some "issues" in your fundamentals - better score in Ps than in DS clearly indicates that. Probably you have some 48+ math subjects but also some 25- Fortunately, improving PS is much easier than DS. For DS you are either talented or not, you can speed up with months of practice, but speeding up in PS takes far less time.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Re: Strong on DS. Average on PS   [#permalink] 23 May 2009, 11:14