Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 12:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 25

Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 09:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

90% (01:54) correct 10% (01:47) wrong based on 88 sessions
Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from being pirated. With that protection, manufacturers would be encouraged to invest in the development of new products and technologies. Such investment frequently results in an increase in a manufacturer’s productivity.
Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?
(A) Stronger patent laws tend to benefit financial institutions as well as manufacturers.
(B) Increased productivity in manufacturing is likely to be accompanied by the creation of more manufacturing jobs.
(C) Manufacturers will decrease investment in the development of new products and technologies unless there are stronger patent laws.
(D) The weakness of current patent laws has been a cause of economic recession.
(E) Stronger patent laws would stimulate improvements in productivity for many manufacturers.

OA is E but C E both are attractive. Can somebody give me a logic.

Cheers,
SD

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 1

Re: 1000CR Stronger patent laws [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is E, C is too strong "will decrease investment unless"
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 22

Re: 1000CR Stronger patent laws [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2010, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
SudiptoGmat wrote:
Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from being pirated. With that protection, manufacturers would be encouraged to invest in the development of new products and technologies. Such investment frequently results in an increase in a manufacturer’s productivity.
Which of the following conclusions can most properly be drawn from the information above?
(A) Stronger patent laws tend to benefit financial institutions as well as manufacturers.
(B) Increased productivity in manufacturing is likely to be accompanied by the creation of more manufacturing jobs.
(C) Manufacturers will decrease investment in the development of new products and technologies unless there are stronger patent laws.
(E) Stronger patent laws would stimulate improvements in productivity for many manufacturers.

With stronger patent laws, manufacturers will be encouraged to invest more does not mean that they will be discouraged with weaker patent laws (may be laws are weak right now and manufacturers are receding their investments?, nothing of this kind can be claimed). So when C states that Manufacturers will decrease investments unless there are stronger laws cannot be asserted, fails the fact-test. Among all remaining options, only E is sensible.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 1000CR Stronger patent laws [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 12:38
SudiptoGmat wrote:

Answer is E....

C is based on the fact that Manufacturers would only be encouraged to do investments if the patent laws are intact! This isnt the case which is stated in the stem! Hence not valid.

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: 1000CR Stronger patent laws [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 19:18
C and E both seem attractive.

For C:
If A then B (Stronger patent laws then more investment)
If NOT A then NOT B (If weak patent laws then no investment) - NOT always CORRECT

Hence C is out.

Choice E is correct.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: 1000CR Stronger patent laws [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 09:31
investments increase productivity, is clearly mentioned in the last line of the argument.

Its a clean E,para phrasing the last line.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Insead '13 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 710 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2012, 06:19
if there are strong patents, then manufacturers will be encouraged to invest
P -> I

C) manufacturers will decrease investment unless patents are strong
I' [not decrease investment] -> P
this may not be correct. so E is the answer.

a couple of examples of unless statements and their conditional diagrams.
Unless a person studies, he or she will not receive an A+.
A+ -> Study

There can be no peace without justice.
Peace -> Justice

press +1 Kudos to appreciate posts
Download Valuable Collection of Percentage Questions (PS/DS)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 31

Re: Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 03:25
E is conditionally the best answer

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2012, 03:48
SudiptoGmat wrote:

You cant justify C using the stimulus. Manufacturers may have no option but to invent new products to ensure survival.

E can definately be justified : strong patent laws can stimulate productivity by enticing the producers.

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 21:01
SudiptoGmat wrote:

Because I think no answer above explains clear and simple enough, I will give mine:

C: There's no certainty that manufacturers will decrease investment. Their investment may not rise, but it may equal to that of previous time. The premise only said " ... manufacturers would be encouraged to invest ..."

E: Correct

I just need 25 Kudos to access the GMAT tests. Plz give me one if you found my post helpful

Re: Stronger patent laws are needed to protect inventions from   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 21:01