Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

struck by a bolt of thunder on my first attempt at GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

struck by a bolt of thunder on my first attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 14:38
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum. I never had anything worthwhile to share. Its not that today is an exception. Its just that i have been shattered and in complete disarray and need some help before I settle down again to tame this GMAT beast. I am a 27 year old indian male. I am an electrical engineer and have 5 years of experience in working in the energy utility industry. 6 months back I decided I would take the GMAT and started gathering my thoughts. I have always been fairly decent in quant and generally praised by a lot of people for my verbal intellect. I have no idea how this happened to me as my mock CAT scores were decent enough. And I have simply no idea how I could score a Q 44. I did the entire OG 13 and jeff sackmann challenge and extreme challenge sets. For verbal I was pretty terrible at RC but SC was my inherent strength. I dont think I missed a single SC question on GMAT. This forces me to beleive I must have got all CR and RC questions incorrect. I really need help from you guys before I start my preparation again. Below mentioned are my CAT scores.
MGMAT CAT 1: 610 Q 44 V 32
MGMAT CAT 2: 730 Q45 V45
MGMAT CAT 3: 720 Q45 V 42
MGMAT CAT 4: 620 Q 40 V 35
MGMAT CAT 5: 720 Q45 V 42
GMAT PREP1 : 710 Q 48 V 38
GMAT PREP2: 730 Q 49 V 40

VERITAS PREP CAT 1 : 650 Q 44 V 35
VERITAS PREP CAT 2: Q710 Q 48 V 38
Actual GMAT : 610 Q 44 V 30
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests
Re: struck by a bolt of thunder on my first attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 16:07
sauravleo123 wrote:
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum. I never had anything worthwhile to share. Its not that today is an exception. Its just that i have been shattered and in complete disarray and need some help before I settle down again to tame this GMAT beast. I am a 27 year old indian male. I am an electrical engineer and have 5 years of experience in working in the energy utility industry. 6 months back I decided I would take the GMAT and started gathering my thoughts. I have always been fairly decent in quant and generally praised by a lot of people for my verbal intellect. I have no idea how this happened to me as my mock CAT scores were decent enough. And I have simply no idea how I could score a Q 44. I did the entire OG 13 and jeff sackmann challenge and extreme challenge sets. For verbal I was pretty terrible at RC but SC was my inherent strength. I dont think I missed a single SC question on GMAT. This forces me to beleive I must have got all CR and RC questions incorrect. I really need help from you guys before I start my preparation again. Below mentioned are my CAT scores.

I noticed a jump from 720 to 620 to 720 on your cat tests. That suggest there may be a gap in knowledge. Were there any types of quant problems that you felt you just didn't know how to do? I'm not sure why someone would bomb RC or CR. I think some people try to game RC instead of just reading the passage as they would anything else. That can really backfire. Anything else you want to say about how test day went? If it is just a gap in knowledge you can fix that fairly quickly and get your 700+ GMAT. Grockit is good at identifying any gap in knowledge. You may want to give it a try. I wish you well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: struck by a bolt of thunder on my first attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 16:28
lovelaw27 wrote:
sauravleo123 wrote:
Hi guys,

I noticed a jump from 720 to 620 to 720 on your cat tests. That suggest there may be a gap in knowledge. Were there any types of quant problems that you felt you just didn't know how to do? I'm not sure why someone would bomb RC or CR. I think some people try to game RC instead of just reading the passage as they would anything else. That can really backfire. Anything else you want to say about how test day went? If it is just a gap in knowledge you can fix that fairly quickly and get your 700+ GMAT. Grockit is good at identifying any gap in knowledge. You may want to give it a try. I wish you well.

Hi lovelaw,
Thank you so much for replying. In the practice CAT where you notuced a leap from 720 to 620, I did a lot of silly mistakes in the DS section. As in considering the information of stem 1 while considering stem 2 in DS. Then I am relatively weak in geometry. I just dont know how to proceed in a geometry problem, espicially in DS where the statements always seem like insufficient. Otherwise I would say I am pretty strong in quant. The topics like probability and permutations in which most of the people face problems, I am fairly good at solving them. As far as test day is concerned, I got the first question from probability in quant. In total I got five probability questions that made me think I was doing really well. Also I felt the questions were very easy as compared to MGMAT cats and gmatprep. I always used to fall behind time in the practice CATS but in the actual exam I was full 10 minutes ahead of the clock. In verbal I got 3 bold face questions and I felt the SC questions were damn easy. I was little uncomfortable with te RC passages but never dreamt of scoring a 30. IO jost dont understand what happened.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 3: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 8

Premium Member
Re: struck by a bolt of thunder on my first attempt at GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 00:34
If you need more material for quant, I would highly suggest the gmatclub tests. They helped raise my score so much and they cover everything. I wish I had purchased them the first time.

Really appreciate Kudos!

Re: struck by a bolt of thunder on my first attempt at GMAT   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2013, 00:34