Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Struggling to solve DS problem in less than 2 min [#permalink]
Dawgie wrote:
DS is harder for a lot of people because they are used to the type of question. Practice makes perfect!

remember in DS you are never supposed to "solve" the problem in terms of getting the answer. once you notice the solution you move on.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
For most DS problems I used to give myself a target of 60-90 seconds per problem so that for the really tough ones you can afford to spend 3 to 4 minutes without losing out on overall time

On the OG, I would practice 20 problems at a time, with an average time of 25-30mins to do the set. On the real GMAT, things take a bit longer because you want to revise and be sure of the answer before you click
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I agree with shaselai. For DS questions that ask for a specific value, do not solve for the value. It wastes time. Once you know that you have enough information to be able to solve, move on. This should save you at least 20-30 seconds.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
remember in DS you are never supposed to "solve" the problem in terms of getting the answer. once you notice the solution you move on.

Sure, but sometimes GMAT tricks us, for instance 3 unknowns require 3 independent equations. So when I saw three equations, I would just say ok it's solvable, until I discovered that GMAT likes to provided redundant equations, so really I have to go as far as I can in solving the unknowns. Obviously I won't try to reduce x = 23/89 to its simplest form :wink:

So I guess I need more training.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
For DS, you should know very well AD/BCE, BD/ACE or 12TEN rules. (all are same though, used different notations by different companies!)

If Statement 1 is correct you should know your answer is going to be A or D.

If Statement 2 is correct you should know your answer is going to be B or D.

You shouldn't confuse statement 1 with statement 2 (I do :) ) solve statements separately, don't use information of 1 statement in statement 2 (except when you have rejected statement 1 and 2 separately!)

You can give a try to Veritas DS guide, if you have enough time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ok I understand why DS takes a bit longer.

Imagine 1) is sufficient, but not 2). But you miss that 1) is sufficient, so you try to see what about 1)+2)?

The problem is that when solving 1+2) you will endure a double penalty:
- the answer you'll pick will be wrong
- you waste valuable time

So I guess it's important to not rush.

All in all, as I'm fast and accurate in PS, the little bit overtime I take in DS zeros out at the end, and that's what matters.

I'll still put more focus on DS. I feel really stupid when I mix up C and D, and that happens often!

I'll use MGMAT system:
AB
CDE

Yet I don't think it appeared in any book, I think I only saw it in a video lab or was was it on this website?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Engineering~Finance
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I agree with shaselai. For DS questions that ask for a specific value, do not solve for the value. It wastes time. Once you know that you have enough information to be able to solve, move on. This should save you at least 20-30 seconds.

But in the official guide's solutions to DS problems, more often than not they attempt to solve the problems. I wasn't solving initially but then I was missing a lot more than I was getting correct. I switched strategies and started solving for the values, and my accuracy has bumped up a notch although it takes a tad more time especially with difficult questions. But doing this enables me to be a little more thorough rather than hastily arriving at an answer without solving,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Obviously, you must memorize the answer choices.

Spend the time up front to simplify the question before even moving on to the statements. Write out your steps as you simplify. Look for any of these appearing in the statements.

Work through the MGMAT Number Properties book. It was a tremendous help for me. I generally spend less time on DS than PS now.
GMAT Club Bot