Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Struggling with Quant Section

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Struggling with Quant Section [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 14:04
My verbal is pretty strong, so I'm not too concerned about it. In fact, I am progressively getting stronger with each set of practice questions. However, when it comes to the quant section I'm still struggling pretty badly. For Data Sufficiency I get about 60% of questions correct, but problem solving is even worse.

I have been through the Manhattan GMAT set twice, along with the Kaplan math book. I have pinpointed most of my problem areas, specifically probability, number properties (usually prime number/multiple questions), and rate problems. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how next to proceed. I have about another 2 months before I write the test and would like to know how, besides studying harder of course, to help my understanding of quant. Any specific books, techniques, or strategies that have helped you?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2281

Kudos [?]: 8844 [0], given: 3668

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Struggling with Quant Section [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 15:14
Expert's post
You can try the Total GMAT Math - a pretty different approach. May work for you?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, Terry MBA, University of Miami, HULT MBA, York University
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Struggling with Quant Section [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 20:15
seoulite wrote:
My verbal is pretty strong, so I'm not too concerned about it. In fact, I am progressively getting stronger with each set of practice questions. However, when it comes to the quant section I'm still struggling pretty badly. For Data Sufficiency I get about 60% of questions correct, but problem solving is even worse.

I have been through the Manhattan GMAT set twice, along with the Kaplan math book. I have pinpointed most of my problem areas, specifically probability, number properties (usually prime number/multiple questions), and rate problems. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how next to proceed. I have about another 2 months before I write the test and would like to know how, besides studying harder of course, to help my understanding of quant. Any specific books, techniques, or strategies that have helped you?

Revise your school math books. That will help a lot in case of Problem Solving.
MGMAT set is good to raise your score from 30Q to 40Q, not beyond that or in case you are below that.
I do suggest to take Math class in case your Quant score is less than 25.

In case of Probability: Just try to draw pictures of the situations & remember simplest formulas. Normally Probability questions based on that.

If Life's a Game, I Play it in my way

Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Struggling with Quant Section [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 06:14
If you have given any prep tests, please post the scores. It will help us help you better ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: Struggling with Quant Section   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2011, 06:14