Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Struggling with Verbal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Struggling with Verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 03:14
Hi All,

Back after a long (long) time...

Hope all of you are doing great...

I 1st took my GMAT in Sept-10 had got a disappointing 520 (V44, Q17). Now I am planning to start all over again after a gap of almost 1 & half years (due to some personal reasons).

I took GMAT Prep1 yesterday & scored 550 (Q46, V20), of course this was with out any preparation. Now i am planning to make my study plan to move up Q to 49 - 50 & V from 20 up to 35 - 40.

I knew last time also that Verbal needs much more focus but somehow didn't manage to get my strategies right.

Now I am planning to study from Kaplan GMAT Verbal Foundations, wanted to know from you all if its the right approach. I struggle too much with Grammar. Also, I am planning to do SC & CR thoroughly with RC not so through (or its not wise do do so).

For Quant I will do the GMAT Club tests which i feel should suffice to take me up to 49 - 50.

I am planning to take the test some where in end of April to mid-May.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Struggling with Verbal [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2012, 05:36
Hello,

If you struggle with verbal section, I recommend you to start reading some GMAT Fiction. BB recommended people to read around 2000 pages (in a month or maybe more) of fiction in English parallel to GMAT studying. That of course, could be quite challenging if you have to work, study for the test and do other things you do. The point is to squeeze in any minute for reading outside of your studying time because it will help you develop an "ear", which will improve your verbal in all three sections. Note that you should read in front of a computer and use a free online dictionary for translation. The key is to understand what you are reading.

This is probably an unpopular approach because in the beginning you are not confident whether this amount of time will help actually help you. But it does help. So if you study hard and do some reading you will probably boost your verbal.

Keep in mind that after such a high score in Quant, your overall score will not move as much as it will move if you improve in Verbal. So verbal is your priority and that is where you need to focus

Hope it helps and good luck!

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Struggling with Verbal [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 01:17
Laker7 wrote:
Hello,

If you struggle with verbal section, I recommend you to start reading some GMAT Fiction. BB recommended people to read around 2000 pages (in a month or maybe more) of fiction in English parallel to GMAT studying. That of course, could be quite challenging if you have to work, study for the test and do other things you do. The point is to squeeze in any minute for reading outside of your studying time because it will help you develop an "ear", which will improve your verbal in all three sections. Note that you should read in front of a computer and use a free online dictionary for translation. The key is to understand what you are reading.

This is probably an unpopular approach because in the beginning you are not confident whether this amount of time will help actually help you. But it does help. So if you study hard and do some reading you will probably boost your verbal.

Keep in mind that after such a high score in Quant, your overall score will not move as much as it will move if you improve in Verbal. So verbal is your priority and that is where you need to focus

Hope it helps and good luck!

Thanks for the advice I will definitely try to do as much reading as possible in the coming one month. Just wanted to know if the book's I have selected will help me with improving my basics & getting the strategies right...

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia Business School, Goizueta, Sloan
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 28

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Struggling with Verbal [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 01:53
yep, Kaplan books will get you there, a lot of people like Kaplan.

Set your aims high, carpe diem

Re: Struggling with Verbal   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2012, 01:53