Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Struggling with when to take the test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Struggling with when to take the test [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 06:10
Hi everyone, thanks for reading this and please feel free to leave your comment.

Problem: My original plan was to take the test on Dec 8, 2011 and Dec 19, 2011 again in case I do horriably on Dec 8, but I found out there is a madatory 31-day gap between two tests and the score takes 20 calendar days to reach the school. I am now torn between taking the test once and taking the test twice but with significantly lesser time working on my application.

Background: I am applying to one master program only and the deadline is Feb 1,2012. The program's average GMAT is around 630. Though I wanna do hotel management, I'm very quant-oriented (stuied math and interned at IB during college).

Preparion done:
1.Whole OG12
2.Quant: MGMT Number Properties, MGMT Word Translation
3:Verbal: GMAT Club Ultimate Grammar, MGMT RC, SC, and PowerScore CR
To be honest, it is verbal that causes my suffering. I can easily score 45+ on quant but it seems impossible for me to break 35 on verbal even after all these studies(read:three months!)

Two possible solutions:
A) Take the test once in early Dec and again in early Jan.
Pros: Second chance!
Cons: Significantly decrease my application preparation time. The applicatoin is very similiar to a typical MBA program(GMAT+ 2 rec. letters + interview+ 2 essays: one is why-u-wanna-come and the other is what-u-can-do-with-the-degreee). So far I have only brainstormed a list of ideas I wanna write about and talk about for the interview. Also I have came up with a list of people that would write me good letters(2 professors and 2 managers from former jobs). For the interview, my former collague has recommended me a really nice alum from my former work place.

B) Take the test in mid-Dec.
Pros: More time to work on my application
Cons: Hit-or-miss.

Again, thank you to those of you who actually read such a long post and share your opinion.

Last edited by JohnnyCage on 26 Dec 2011, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Struggling with when to take the test [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 10:27
I think you should just write it once in mid dec . Prepare properly for the next 3-4 weeks and try your best ! It's never a good idea to think of re-taking the Exam when you haven't even written it once . Besides GMAT is just one aspect of your application , there's no point scoring 20 Pts higher and messing up multiple aspects of your application

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2283

Kudos [?]: 8874 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Struggling with when to take the test [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 10:37
Expert's post
Hm.... what are your practice scores?
If you have 450 then no but if you have 650-700, then absolutely.
If you are550-600 then a maybe.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Struggling with when to take the test [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 17:57
I only did the MGMT CAT once and got a 660, though I feel comfortable scoring above 650 at any time.

Anyway, I will study SC for a few more days then do the MGMT CAT again to see what I should do.

Thank you very much guys :-D
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE: Design (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Struggling with when to take the test [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 18:40
JohnnyCage wrote:
I only did the MGMT CAT once and got a 660, though I feel comfortable scoring above 650 at any time.

Anyway, I will study SC for a few more days then do the MGMT CAT again to see what I should do.

Thank you very much guys :-D

I had a similar decision to make. I decided to take the test on the last possible day, figuring I'd be better of studying for an extra month rather than "test driving" it a month early and probably having to retake it. It worked out well for me. I'd say it depends on how you do under pressure. If you're a procrastinator, as I am, then you'll likely thrive, as us procrastinators are well practiced at cramming and feel comfortable taking tests that we aren't full prepared for with nerves not really factoring in. If you tend to get nervous and can't take a test that you haven't thoroughly prepared for, I'd take the early route and leave yourself a safety.

Nice Marmot.

Re: Struggling with when to take the test   [#permalink] 28 Nov 2011, 18:40