Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stuck at 600!! Please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-07-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 04:57
Hi,

I have my GMAT date booked for 7th May, and I have just started taking the CATs. However, I am stuck at a single score. It has always been +/- 600. I have taken bout 4 tests now (2 GMAT prep older version, 1 Veritas, 1 GMAT Economist). And raw score is always around Q42-44, V30.

I am still in the study mode however. Have completed the OG13 and currently solving Verbal Review 2nd Question. Studying a bit of maths as well side by side, and plan to start solving the MGMAT Quant guide from next week onward along with taking a CAT every week till 1st May.

Can anyone help me as to how to improve the score? I am targeting 700+, so a minimum of Q49-50 and V40. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Regards.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 583

Kudos [?]: 2064 [0], given: 673

Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 10:50
Expert's post
coolredwine wrote:
Hi,

I have my GMAT date booked for 7th May, and I have just started taking the CATs. However, I am stuck at a single score. It has always been +/- 600. I have taken bout 4 tests now (2 GMAT prep older version, 1 Veritas, 1 GMAT Economist). And raw score is always around Q42-44, V30.

I am still in the study mode however. Have completed the OG13 and currently solving Verbal Review 2nd Question. Studying a bit of maths as well side by side, and plan to start solving the MGMAT Quant guide from next week onward along with taking a CAT every week till 1st May.

Can anyone help me as to how to improve the score? I am targeting 700+, so a minimum of Q49-50 and V40. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Regards.

Your verbal percentile is decent. If you want to shoot above that, try this
how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html

Your quant, however needs MUCH more work. I would go back to the OG 13, google every single question, try and hit up GMAT Club and MGMAT forums for excellent explanations and multiple ways to solve each problem. That sounds like dirty work, but sometimes you do have to take the shovel and dig.

Here is a dig at scoring higher in Quant.

how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q30-to-q40-142810.html
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html

And don't forget to follow Bunuel.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager

Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 11:28
souvik101990 wrote:
coolredwine wrote:
Hi,

Regards.

Your verbal percentile is decent. If you want to shoot above that, try this
how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html

Your quant, however needs MUCH more work. I would go back to the OG 13, google every single question, try and hit up GMAT Club and MGMAT forums for excellent explanations and multiple ways to solve each problem. That sounds like dirty work, but sometimes you do have to take the shovel and dig.

Here is a dig at scoring higher in Quant.

how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q30-to-q40-142810.html
how-to-improve-your-quant-from-q44-to-q50-141670.html

And don't forget to follow Bunuel.

Hey Souvik,

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone through those links, and have started reviewing my mistakes (verbal) today. It might be a concentration issue, or maybe I didn't focus much as it was a practice test, but I have most of questions correct in the verbal part of OG 13. At least in the SC-RC ones. Just that the hit rate dips further if I include CR.

I am still going through my Quant stuff right now. I have covered most of the stuff, and a couple of topics are still left. So maybe the low score is because of that. Also, that I am still trying to pace myself through the test. I do end up taking a little more time, which leaves me to guess a few in the middle/end to make up for it. And also that my concepts are clear per se, it's just the application which is lacking during the test. :(

Anyway I will go through those links again, and try to implement it.

Thanks again!
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 583

Kudos [?]: 2064 [0], given: 673

Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 11:29
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 08:08
Alright, I need help. I am sinking into the swamp called desperation now!

I took another Practice CAT today. This was the first of the free GMAT Prep test provided by the GMAC. And scored a 590...again!

I had a 47 in Quant. That is okay, as I had seen a couple of questions before, hence intentionally marked them incorrectly as it wouldn't have reflected my true score.

The big dampener came in Verbal. The test made me a bit uncomfortable, which I preferred actually. However, when I saw the score...boom! Only a meagre 22! I had 13 incorrect out of 41, and honestly, I am unable to understand the scoring pattern here. I made a mistake while starting the test and was stumped as the starting questions were a string of CR questions. And there were 5 incorrect in the first 10 questions. However, I corrected that afterwards and went on a string of questions answering them correctly and had only 1 out of the last 13 incorrect. And still I got a low score.

As mentioned, my test is 3 weeks away now. And I am having serious doubts on myself right now, and contemplating rescheduling the test to a later date.

If anyone has any tips, it would be deeply appreciated.

Regards.
Manager
Manager

Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2014, 23:10
No love? :(
Manager
Manager

Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help! [#permalink] New post 04 May 2014, 06:17
An update to this since no one else cares. :(

Dug in deep and I am now getting Quant Scores up to 49-50. However, it seems I am firmly perched on the number 30 when it comes to the Verbal score. My mistakes range from 12-14/15 any given day, and I have completely ransacked my head in search of a solution but to no help. I know I will make a mistake.

Anyway, I have my exam on the 7th. Keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping to make it across the line with my head held high. Lets see.
Re: Stuck at 600!! Please help!   [#permalink] 04 May 2014, 06:17