Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 21:49
Hi,

need help and direction

I have been preparing for gmat since nov 11, now i have my gmat scheduled on 15th feb.

I have taken 4 mgmat tests , my break ups have been Quant - 43, 44,43,44 and Verbal 28-31,32,29

I am really stuck at this 620 level for the last one month almost.... dont know seriously what to do ????

Some more points

1) i did OG with mgmat archer , my accuracy for SC was 70%, for CR - 72% and for RC - 60%, all within the time limits, for Quant the accuracy was 80% within time limit rather less than the required average time.

2) in kaplan Q bank, my accuracy for SC is 75% in SC, and around 75% in Quant.

3) when i do problems of same time , my accuracy is very high, the moment i take test.. i make silly mistakes in simple Q also.

In terms of verbal , my accuracy in CR varied for the first two tests.

I have exactly 22 days left now,,, i really fail to decide what to do ???, to revise basics again... to practice... to take test ???

i do have 4 hours in a day to study.... please suggest
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [3] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 17:42
This post received
KUDOS
struggle2win, I understand your pain. Since you have less than a month left, I would suggest you to concentrate on verbal to improve your overall score drastically.

For more info refer http://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-method/how-to-ace-gmat/. In this free pdf, GMAT pill tutor explains how very minor change in verbal score can result in major change in overall score.

I dont see mention of Manhattan SC book in your post. Please go though that, try getting 80-85% accuracy in SC. Same is true about CR. Refer CR bible or Mgamat CR book. Refer http://gmatclub.com/forum/study-plan-for-verbal-gmat-98342.html#p757714for further details.

For me RC is problem area. I score 100% on RC if its related to any kind of science or history. If its about arts and economics, I go down to 70%. Find your problem area. Even though you get 1 difficult RC, you can still score great on verbal.

hope this helps! good luck!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 636 [1] , given: 6

Re: stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Thanks for the mention, piyatiwari.

That's right, you're not going to see any movement in your score if you don't improve your verbal score. The verbal is much more sensitive to your score than several more correct on your quant section.

I would identify what section you're stuck on (even sections you're at 90% at, you should try to get to 100%) and seek advice on how to better strategically approach those questions. Randomize all your past test questions and answer them out of order - test yourself on speed and efficiency.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2012, 18:19
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

does consistency of 43/44 in four mgmats give better assurance for possible 44 in real gmat , i know there are thousand things beyond the score of 44 in mgmat ?, just trying to understand if my consistency in four exams is somewhat assuring 44 in real gmat... i would start giving more time to verbal now ?

I mean i have two options... to take Quant 44 to 47 ==== i believe this is somewhat possible because i make a lot of mistakes in DS, and i was weak in geometry, combi, probability and inequalities... so i would focus on these topics for two days and will try to improve from 44-47.

I have to increase my verbal considerably from 33/34 to 37/38 to reach to that 700 score fig, for which i am going to keep on revising my SC, second priority will be on CR and then RC .. for 5 days.

So, this is the game plan till 3rd Feb, and my date for exam is 15th feb, so i will get some 12 odd days to take a few more practice tests.

Do you guys this is the right approach or do you suggest any change in this to make it better...??

Also, please suggest me something concrete for DS to study, especially on strategy front.

thanks very much for your inputs and time again
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 105 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 05:32
This post received
KUDOS
Have you taken any of the GMATprep tests yet? They are the closest to real GMAT. Take Gmat prep 1 and see where you need to improve.

In DS, AD/BCE approach helps me a lot. Rest concepts are same as quants.
Re: stuck at 620... target 680-700...exam on 15th feb   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2012, 05:32