Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 03:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stuck at 640-650 range! Need to break 700. Any strategies?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Stuck at 640-650 range! Need to break 700. Any strategies? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 11:50
Dear Fellow GMATClub Members,

Shubho Nobo Borsho [in Bangla], Happy New Year! New Year's (Bangla) Greetings to all of you! :woohoo

A little background about me: I want to enroll myself into a top-30 b-school. My professional experience might not talk about me that much highly compared to theirs who have work-experiences in, for instance, Fortune500 companies. Yet, I want to give my MBA application package (in 2013) the best combo possible for me. So, I want to compensate, at least, that gap with my GMAT score.

What's going on between GMAT and Me: I have been prepping for GMAT with my 'best' effort, so far, for last 4 months. I am going to have REAL 'cage-fight' with the GMAT on May 27th, 2012. As my signature below suggests, I have been fortunate enough to push my GMAT Score from 490 to a steady 640-650 up until now (please, see my signature below for a detailed listing of my CAT scores. Just so you know, in last grockit CAT I got - Q48, V32, 650). As with everybody in this forum, I also want to put myself outside my comfort zone to get an even higher score in GMAT. I am shooting for 700; at least, an extrapolation from my existing scoring data will not rule out (I hope) such an aim.
I study for 5-6 hours daily with one day-off each week. I give more time in reading/understanding the answer explanation of a GMAT question than I give time in actually attempting them. Till now, I focused on one area (quant or verbal) before moving to another; from now on, as I have completed both, I will juggle between them on and off. I keep track of all my answers. I used to use Error Log at the beginning of my prep, but stopped using it as I used OG Archer from MGMAT. I took notes from all the video lessons I have watched. I haven't prepared my own flashcards. I time myself every time I attempt a GMAT question. I follow experts advises from GMATClub.com, BeatTheGMAT.com, and MGMAT fourms on different topics/issues. I love to read the debriefs from successful GMAT fighters.

Resources I have been using for last 4 months:
Official Resources:
OG12e [completed except for RC part, which will be done in 3 days]; QR2e [completed once]; VR2e [completed except for RC part, which will be done in 3 days]; OG10e [completed the quant part; not using that much as I suspect most of the questions can also found in the GMATPrep]
GMATPrep (new) [have not gave a shot yet]; GMATPrep (old) [have taken only the 1st test to find my baseline before I began prepping for GMAT]
Extracted question sets from GMATPrep (around 1400 questions) [will complete after I take my 2 tests using GMATPrep and before I go for the 'cage-fight']
GMAT Question Pack # 1 [yet to start]
GMAT Paper Tests (9 tests) [completed all the math questions; yet to begin the verbal part]

Third Party Resources:
MGMAT Strategy guides (8-book set) 4th edition [went through quant books at least twice and verbal books once]
Kaplan Premier 2011 [used only to get overall idea about GMAT]
Princeton Review 1,012 questions [only SC question sets are attempted]
Grockit GMAT (Online test banks) [using very occasionally, mostly when lying down; used for their CATs where I scored around 640-650]
GMATClub Tests [completed 2 tests yet; one with 53th %-ile and the other with 80th %-ile]
MGMAT OG Archer
MGMAT Advanced GMAT Quant [yet to start]
GMAT Hacks Total GMAT Math [completed twice]
PowerPrep CR Bible [1st 8 chapters; answered half of the exercises wrong; not follow the "read the stimulus first then question stem" instruction]
Doing Grammar [not yet started; maybe, no time will be left for it]

Video Resources:
Thursdays With Ron [watched all the episodes till date except for the RC related ones]
HorseGMAT Clips (Horacio Quiroga of MGMAT) [not yet watched]
GMAT Prep Now Clips [watched all the free videos]

Non-GMAT Resources:
Articles from TheEconomist, NYTimes, LATimes, ScientificAmerican, HarvardMagazine, UChicagoMagazine, ScienceMagazine [to read monotonous yet GMAT-like reads]
Grapes of Wrath [reading as pastime and to increase reading speed]

What's going OK:
Average quant raw score is between 47 and 50, inclusive.
Overall timing strategy.
4-hour long GMAT-CAT stamina.
Not yet gone INSANE. ;-)

Major problems/concerns:
Quant:
Combinatorics, Probability, XY-plane, and Word problems are my areas of concern.

Verbal:
RC [timing issues. Although I understand that details of a passage are are be skimmed, yet regularly finding myself in drilling trough them. When I give 5-6 minutes to grasp a 300-word passage, my score rises and vice-versa.]
CR [Major issues in Assumption and Weakening problems. Big-size, I mean 300 words including the answer options, problems take me 2.5 minutes on average and never below 2 minutes. Inverse relations between time and score.]
SC [Sometimes doing well, I mean 80%< correct, and sometimes doing bad, 60%> correct. Trouble in verb, pronoun, and modifiers. Become afraid whenever see a fully underlined questions that are usually big in size]

AWA+Q+V:
I do better, comparatively speaking, when I do specific attacks on different topics of CR/SC However, when I juggle between them, specially as in CATs, I happen to score lower.
Often times, I feel that I involve myself 'too seriously' with the questions when taking CATs. I seldom remember to keep a 'fake' smile during the CATs. :-)

Why I wrote this post/message?: With roughly more than 1 month in hand, I request to the experts or to whom have already experienced a real cage-fight with GMAT to share some handy-advices/strategies that will help me break the 700-barrier. I see that although my GMAT score increased from 490 to 640-650, my verbal raw score has been improved very marginally (what I contribute mostly to lack of strategic approach). I believe that my potential in verbal is still less utilized by me .
Hence, I am will be really grateful if you folks come up with some sort of advises on the following queries --
What can I do more to give another push to my score from 650 to lower 700s?
Which part of my preparation is not going right? How can I get it right?
Which part of my preparation is going OK and you suggest me to stick with till the end?
I am also open to any other constructive suggestions/advises that will help me pave a road to 700s.

Wish me luck!

Shubhechchha (regards),
Schawjibb

Last edited by Schawjibb on 20 Apr 2012, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stuck at 640-650 range! Need to break 700. Any strategies? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 14:34
What were the % break down of your Q and V scores?

You know your major weaknesses, I would go through the math forum and check out the great guides that are broken down by topic and provide questions for that topic type and practice practice practice with keeping an error log to check your progress.
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Re: Stuck at 640-650 range! Need to break 700. Any strategies? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 18:35
aalba005 wrote:
What were the % break down of your Q and V scores?

You know your major weaknesses, I would go through the math forum and check out the great guides that are broken down by topic and provide questions for that topic type and practice practice practice with keeping an error log to check your progress.

Please see my signature! It includes most of my GMAT CAT Scores except the ones of Grockit (breakdowns of last 2 grockit CATs are identical to my last Kaplan CAT).
Thanks!
Re: Stuck at 640-650 range! Need to break 700. Any strategies?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2012, 18:35