Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stuck on 590 - 3 weeks to go!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Stuck on 590 - 3 weeks to go!! [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 18:49
Hello fellow GMATers

I need your help/guidance. Losing hope and getting frustrated. I'm one of your 'working full-time' GMAT test taker who is trying to put in 6-10hrs over the weekend and around 2hrs on weekdays but not seeing the expected improvements. I'm taking my GMAT on May 4th.

I took the official GMAT on Feb 25th and this was my score-
GMAT 590 / 59%
Verbal - 25 / 36%
Quant - 46 / 71%

Determined that I can get a higher score with better preparation, I registered to retake GMAT on May 4th. I joined the Manhattan GMAT class and have been studying mostly over weekends and 1-2 hrs on weekdays.

I took a MGMAT exam on March 24th. I messed up on timing because I tried a new strategy and this was my score -
Total 580 / 56%
Quant 41 / 54 %
Verbal 29 / 54 %

I continued working on my mistakes, studying new material as part of the MGMAT course and took another exam on April 9th. This time I stuck the timing strategy I'm used to and did both Essay and IR and this was my score -
Total Score 590 (59th %)
Quant - 44 / 63%
Verbal - 28 / 48%
IR - 7 / 81%

Although I haven't completed my MGAMT course, I was expecting to see an increase in my overall score. I feel like the past month was completely wasted and now I barely have 20 days until my exam. I'm panicking and not sure what strategy to follow and make the most of the remaining 20 days.

Does anyone have any strategies or advice on my situation? What should I continue doing and what can I change/start doing?
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Stuck on 590 - 3 weeks to go!! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 08:44
Thanks Rakesh! Sound strategy, I'm going to follow this and update this thread with my results.
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: Stuck on 590 - 3 weeks to go!! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 11:58
Hi

First i would like to know wats ur target score...If ur target score is in between 600 to 650. I would say do not panic. You have not wasted ur last month..You can see a steep increase in verbal...pls do not get discouraged.......I cannot understand why do you try new thns.......I agree u must be flexible bt dnt try n revamp thns.....
Another thn ...r u missn any deadline....that u r in a hurry...i would humbly request to defer ur date by a month.....miracles dnt occur just by takn the class.
GMAT is all about strategy.....If RC is a problemmmn after all ur hard work u find urself at the same place...dnt waste tym on it....try to maximize other two areas.....try to touch 75% accuracy all the time on two areas......

A 650 score is not too far......47 on Quant and V 30 on verbal will get u der....U r almost der...jsut few tweks n polishes reqd....bt dnt panic.

Consider Kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!

Archit
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 66

Re: Stuck on 590 - 3 weeks to go!! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rudrasri wrote:
Hello fellow GMATers

I need your help/guidance. Losing hope and getting frustrated. I'm one of your 'working full-time' GMAT test taker who is trying to put in 6-10hrs over the weekend and around 2hrs on weekdays but not seeing the expected improvements. I'm taking my GMAT on May 4th.

Does anyone have any strategies or advice on my situation? What should I continue doing and what can I change/start doing?

Hi Rudasri, I'd say you're probably being too hard on yourself. Your scores seem to always be the same, but you're varying a little within the verbal and quant sections. If you could get your best verbal score and your best math score on the same exam, your score would be significantly higher. This means that you're able to do it, maybe you're just messing up certain questions or losing focus sometimes. I wouldn't change too much, but I think you're doing too many hours for a full timer. You need to take some time off to let the concepts sink in and come back stronger, just like going to the gym. The other thing is to keep positive. You can get a better score, your practice tests demonstrate this, but you have to be positive and believe that you can get these questions right.

If you're a Star Wars fan: Use the foce, and May the 4th be with you

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Stuck on 590 - 3 weeks to go!!   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2013, 14:04