Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stuck with an Essay Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Stuck with an Essay Question [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 05:41
Guys,

I am assembling my application for Kellogg R2. One of the essay question asks-- "Discuss moments or influences in your personal life that have defined who you are today. (500 word limit)."
One of the incidents I wrote talks about how I tided over my parents disapproval of my choice of undergraduation subjects (I am an Econ. grad) from a tier II college in India. Now, I do have academic proficiency to show--74% overall and on dean's merit list for all three years. But I think this may work against me and it is highly likely that the adcom will pick on my GMAT score too (I scored 630 on GMAT).

What do you guys think? Should I use another example? I do strongly think this made me a different person but I don't want my emotions to cloud my rationality. Also, I can provide with any other info, if needed.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 6

Re: Stuck with an Essay Question [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 23:03
arandhawa wrote:
Guys,

I am assembling my application for Kellogg R2. One of the essay question asks-- "Discuss moments or influences in your personal life that have defined who you are today. (500 word limit)."
One of the incidents I wrote talks about how I tided over my parents disapproval of my choice of undergraduation subjects (I am an Econ. grad) from a tier II college in India. Now, I do have academic proficiency to show--74% overall and on dean's merit list for all three years. But I think this may work against me and it is highly likely that the adcom will pick on my GMAT score too (I scored 630 on GMAT).

What do you guys think? Should I use another example? I do strongly think this made me a different person but I don't want my emotions to cloud my rationality. Also, I can provide with any other info, if needed.

Thanks.

Hi Arandhawa,

This essay asks applicants to introspect upon their lives and provide a unique perspective. The admissions panel wants to know whether the applicant learns from life experiences. Does he have the potential to turn an incident into a career defining moment? Make sure you develop the story in a coherent manner. Indicate the incident in brief. Use more words to describe what your learning was of the incident, what actions you took and finally what the result was.

You can know more about Kellogg essays here http://bit.ly/WwXn7Q . If you are confused for your other essays as well you can refer the link, here it has been clearly explained how to write your essays and what needs to be highlighted in your essays.

Regards
Neha Singh
http://bit.ly/107Hd2S

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Stuck with an Essay Question [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 08:07
Expert's post
From an external perspective, it's hard to say what you should write, without knowing you and your profile intimately. Because this question is soooooo open-ended, there are literally a million ways it could go, and the right one for you is probably a good mix between what is most important to you and what will boost your application most. The question to ask yourself is really: Has this moment truly defined who I am? Do I have anything better? Am I boosting my profile?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 1

Re: Stuck with an Essay Question [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 13:50
Expert's post
Hi Arandhawa,
Through this question, the AD Com want to know about your personality and your non-work life. Since the school asks you to discuss moments that have defined your personality, you may share more than one life -experiences that have shaped your personality. You feel so strongly about your story of selection of under- graduation courses, so go ahead and describe it briefly. In addition, I would encourage you to do some more introspection and identify other moments/ incidents that have had a major influence on your personality. Explain how you dealt with that particular situation ,and how it taught you meaningful life lessons that you are using effectively in your personal and professional life.
I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Re: Stuck with an Essay Question   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 13:50