Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stuck with GMAT Prep and I just have 20 days to go!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Stuck with GMAT Prep and I just have 20 days to go! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 01:16
Hello,

I am seeking help to understand what is going wrong in my preparation and with the current average score whether I am in the position to take the test within 20 days.

My scores trend have been as below:
Kaplan Mock (diagnostic): 480
Kaplan Test 1: 510
Kaplan Test 2: 530
MGMAT Test 1: 590
MGMAT Test 2: 560

My Assessment Summary for the last two MGMAT Tests is attached here. Request you to review the summary and advise on my preparation strategy for the next 20 days.

Thanks for help in advance.

KR, PK
Attachments

Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg [ 73.47 KiB | Viewed 466 times ]

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Stuck with GMAT Prep and I just have 20 days to go! [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2013, 05:53
My target GMAT score is 720+. I can give around 5 hours a day for the preparation.

I am using only the following books as part of my preparation:

MGMAT Books
GMAT Grammar Book (GMAT Club)
Official Guide 13th Ed
Verbal and Quant Official Guides 2e

Attached is the document of my individual section scores.
Attachments

Section breakout.docx [702.99 KiB]
Downloaded 20 times

To download please login or register as a user

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4779 [0], given: 163

Re: Stuck with GMAT Prep and I just have 20 days to go! [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2013, 03:09
Expert's post
Pretz wrote:
Hello,

I am seeking help to understand what is going wrong in my preparation and with the current average score whether I am in the position to take the test within 20 days.

My scores trend have been as below:
Kaplan Mock (diagnostic): 480
Kaplan Test 1: 510
Kaplan Test 2: 530
MGMAT Test 1: 590
MGMAT Test 2: 560

My Assessment Summary for the last two MGMAT Tests is attached here. Request you to review the summary and advise on my preparation strategy for the next 20 days.

Thanks for help in advance.

KR, PK

As is evident from your score card, improvement is required across the board. Your PS score is better than your DS score even though both things test the same concepts. Probably you are not comfortable with the DS format. Do you understand the sufficiency condition of DS well? You take less time in DS questions which is surprising. Most people take more time in DS than they do in PS questions. Every DS question requires giving thought to 2-3 equivalent PS questions. Any particular reason for this?

In Reading Comprehension, when you take more time, you perform well. When you take less time, you make errors. This tells you that you do know what you have to do. Just that you feel that time is short. So practicing and trying to increase your speed will be key here. An accuracy of around 50% in Verbal is not enough. I think you need to go through some Verbal theory. Whatever you have done till now to build Verbal basics is not giving the desired results.

Content Area analysis doesn't give much useful information since one can hardly test proficiency in a topic through 2 questions. Though some topics such as inequalities and polygons are certainly problem areas and you should focus harder on them. Your equations and coordinate geometry look fine.

Similarly, in RC, inference and main idea questions are an issue. You need to read up on them and then practice.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Stuck with GMAT Prep and I just have 20 days to go! [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2013, 18:04
Thanks a lot Karisma for the reply. Here are my comments:

As is evident from your score card, improvement is required across the board. Your PS score is better than your DS score even though both things test the same concepts. Probably you are not comfortable with the DS format. Do you understand the sufficiency condition of DS well? You take less time in DS questions which is surprising. Most people take more time in DS than they do in PS questions. Every DS question requires giving thought to 2-3 equivalent PS questions. Any particular reason for this?

I haven't practiced DS questions in particular. I do know the concepts of DS but I guess I am not giving the right time for these questions as I should. I will concentrate on this part.

In Reading Comprehension, when you take more time, you perform well. When you take less time, you make errors. This tells you that you do know what you have to do. Just that you feel that time is short. So practicing and trying to increase your speed will be key here. An accuracy of around 50% in Verbal is not enough. I think you need to go through some Verbal theory. Whatever you have done till now to build Verbal basics is not giving the desired results.
Could you please provide some more information here. Because I am doing really good in the OG and verbal guides 2e questions with an accuracy of 80-90%. May be that is beacase I have already worked on the entire book twice. However, I totally understand the concepts in those books and the errors as well. But, when it comes to the real test I am failing bad. Especially the Sentence Correction. I haven't yet worked on the CR part. For RC, I just prepared the theory from MGMAT, understood the approach to crack RC, but again there is no practice. What do you suggest?

Content Area analysis doesn't give much useful information since one can hardly test proficiency in a topic through 2 questions. Though some topics such as inequalities and polygons are certainly problem areas and you should focus harder on them. Your equations and coordinate geometry look fine.

Similarly, in RC, inference and main idea questions are an issue. You need to read up on them and then practice.
Re: Stuck with GMAT Prep and I just have 20 days to go!   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2013, 18:04