Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 12:07
rca215 wrote:
3) Alcoholics. Generous Budget. :cry:

100% agree rca. Everytime I meet up with fellow Yale admits, my alcohol consumption and its related expense balloons up to a ridiculous level.....God knows what's gonna happen once I have to hang out with these guys everyday once the school starts. :-D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 15:56
Not sure if mid-terms and finals will change anything, but anybody considering NYU Stern and not wanting to be considered a social outcast could probably count on spending on 30$ a night!

Okay, no I'm not entirely serious but the past 10 days have certainly suggested so. Business school is sort of awesome.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2009, 18:34
nink wrote:
rca215 wrote:

100% agree rca. Everytime I meet up with fellow Yale admits, my alcohol consumption and its related expense balloons up to a ridiculous level.....God knows what's gonna happen once I have to hang out with these guys everyday once the school starts. :-D

Almost halfway through my first full month, I'm 48% over budget. :shock:

On non-rent/utilities/non-ordinary items, I've spent $45/day so far. This is unsustainable.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 08:11
rca215 wrote:
nink wrote:
rca215 wrote:

Almost halfway through my first full month, I'm 48% over budget. :shock:

On non-rent/utilities/non-ordinary items, I've spent $45/day so far. This is unsustainable.

Its best to throw away your b-school budget. Ignorance is bliss.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 08:24
Steel wrote:

I can see that already...I've already caught myself saying "what's another $XXX when I'm already going into debt $100K+?"
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 08:26
maverick2011 wrote:
Steel wrote:

I can see that already...I've already caught myself saying "what's another $XXX when I'm already going into debt $100K+?"

I was speaking with a friend of mine who just finished his first year at bschool, he pretty much said "take your estimated budget, add 10k, that's your real budget." Sigh. :shock:
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 08:56
isa wrote:
maverick2011 wrote:
Steel wrote:

I was speaking with a friend of mine who just finished his first year at bschool, he pretty much said "take your estimated budget, add 10k, that's your real budget." Sigh. :shock:

Actually, that makes me feel better because I was thinking something along those lines.

If you add up all the extras like club fees, going out for drinks/food, maybe some cash for equipment (say if you want to take up rock climbing or hockey) and then take advantage of the opportunity to travel, I could see it coming to an extra $10K.

RF

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 09:14
refurb wrote:
Actually, that makes me feel better because I was thinking something along those lines.

If you add up all the extras like club fees, going out for drinks/food, maybe some cash for equipment (say if you want to take up rock climbing or hockey) and then take advantage of the opportunity to travel, I could see it coming to an extra $10K.

RF

Another suggestion he had was to avoid frequently dining out with friends, since in most non-fastfood/diner restaurants, each meal can quickly set you back about $30. Three or four times a week, that's easily a $100 right there.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 09:18
isa wrote:
Another suggestion he had was to avoid frequently dining out with friends, since in most non-fastfood/diner restaurants, each meal can quickly set you back about $30. Three or four times a week, that's easily a $100 right there.

I think food and drink are the big killers. Each time isn't a lot of money, but it can add up fast!

Unfortunately the place I've got isn't that great for inviting people over, but grabbing a few pizzas and a case of beer and heading over to someone's place can be a lot cheaper and sometimes more fun!

RF

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 09:56
isa wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

haha - definitely easy in the Fall with all the free meals. Winter you're so busy with recruiting, dinner out isn't going to happen as often. Spring you're going to be more than happy to spend that $100 on the great restaurants of Chicago (even formed a dinner club with friends this Spring to do just that). It was such a success (though obviously a weight on the wallet) that we're continuing it this year.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 10:26
I wonder if student spending goes up or down over time?

Personally speaking, I would be a lot more willing to spend cash if I knew I had already secured a post-MBA job.

I would be too scared to spend $100 on a dinner if I didn't even know if I would have a job when I finished school!

RF

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 10:30
refurb wrote:

Personally speaking, I would be a lot more willing to spend cash if I knew I had already secured a post-MBA job.

I would be too scared to spend $100 on a dinner if I didn't even know if I would have a job when I finished school!

RF

haha - no no no - $100 on three dinners.... much more reasonable (saving the $100 dinners for when I get that sweet post-MBA job :) )
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 11:07
Steel wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

haha - no no no - $100 on three dinners.... much more reasonable (saving the $100 dinners for when I get that sweet post-MBA job :) )

Oh!! That makes me feel better! :oops:

RF

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 18:58
or learn to cook :)
It's quite feasible to knock out restaurant quality food in 30 mins (or less depending on what you are making).
Just requires you to teach yourself the art of the pallette (knowing what ingredients blend well together) and the basic cullinary skills (e.g. how to seal meat, resting food to let it cook through without making it rubbery, what temperatures cause what type of flavours, the impact on flavour through roasting, poaching, frying etc.)

Obviously helps if you enjoy cooking.
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month?   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2009, 18:58