Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [2]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Student Budgets - how much do you spend going out/month? [#permalink]
Kudos
The "entertainment" expense is the big unknown with me.

I mean, you can go to a bar and have three beers and be out $20. Do that 2-3 times a week and you're out $250/month right there!

I think a smart move would be to figure out how much you're willing to spend. I think $500/month is a decent number. Keep track as the month goes on. If you start to run low, you'll just have to drink Keystone Light at someone's home instead of a microbrew at some fancy pub!

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
- Some students have big savings (think PE guys) and live the life before they go back to not having a life.
- Some students are on a tight budget and are careful about their expenses.
- The rest (the majority) are on a tight budget but manage to overspend their outing (and don't forget traveling) expenses massively.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I have found that most MBA students have a planned budget but in reality, they exceed it by a multiple of 2 and if you are single (going out more often) , then it is 3X.
Current Student
Send PM
thanks for the input folks! I'm trying to plan a budget, and also keep a bit aside as a "slush fund", on the (likely) chance I run over-budget. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
bb wrote:
I structured my budget in terms of priorities and so my entertainment expenses were at the very bottom of that list. I under budgeted and as the result, my first semester was very boring - that's how I ended up starting GMAT Club :lol:

Now THAT really warrants a good discussion. do elaborate somewhere, sometime!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
isa wrote:
I know this is going to vary a lot by person, but I was trying to get a sense of how much folks budget, or plan to budget, for "entertainment" (going out to bars/restaurants/movies/whatever). $500 per month? More? Less?

start dating a guy that is employed and problem solved
Current Student
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
isa wrote:
I know this is going to vary a lot by person, but I was trying to get a sense of how much folks budget, or plan to budget, for "entertainment" (going out to bars/restaurants/movies/whatever). $500 per month? More? Less?

start dating a guy that is employed and problem solved

Brilliant plan. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
 Q49  V39
Or in my case, girl(s) who is (are) employed. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
topher wrote:
Or in my case, girl(s) who is (are) employed. :)

Seconded!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
The difference in spending mix between Anglosaxon countries and continental Europe is staggering!

Spending $500/month on entertainment is unconceivable by the average Italian/French/Spaniard, who, on the other hand, would probably spend much more in clothes and accessories.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 866 [0]
 Q49  V39
Yeah $500/month is a good chunk of change. I don't even spend that much right now while working. But I also don't pull down a nice salary, which is part of the reason why I'm going to b-school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
The difference in spending mix between Anglosaxon countries and continental Europe is staggering!

Spending $500/month on entertainment is unconceivable by the average Italian/French/Spaniard, who, on the other hand, would probably spend much more in clothes and accessories.

What would the average European do for entertainment? I knows things aren't any cheaper over there and usually are more expensive.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
I don't want to make sweeping generalizations and use stereotypes too much, but I think entertainment can be viewed in two ways,

1) The "what-you-do" type entertainment. Here, the event itself is important. Good examples are going to concerts, movies, clubs (to maybe see a special DJ spin), etc. These are more event oriented.
2) The "whom-you-hang-out-with" type entertainment. Here, it's the crowd that matters. Good examples are just hanging a get-together (e.g. potluck dinner) at someone's place, housewarming parties, playing trivia at a sport bar, etc.

If you are more of the former (the MBA stereotype), then I suspect your entertainment budget needs to be generous.
If you are more of the latter, then your entertainment budget tends to be more reasonable.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
xenok wrote:
I don't want to make sweeping generalizations and use stereotypes too much, but I think entertainment can be viewed in two ways,

1) The "what-you-do" type entertainment. Here, the event itself is important. Good examples are going to concerts, movies, clubs (to maybe see a special DJ spin), etc. These are more event oriented.
2) The "whom-you-hang-out-with" type entertainment. Here, it's the crowd that matters. Good examples are just hanging a get-together (e.g. potluck dinner) at someone's place, housewarming parties, playing trivia at a sport bar, etc.

If you are more of the former (the MBA stereotype), then I suspect your entertainment budget needs to be generous.
If you are more of the latter, then your entertainment budget tends to be more reasonable.

I feel like the last year of my MBA experience has had a heavy dose of #1 and #2.....

In fact I have #2 friends based around #1 events (seeing DJs spin is a perfect example - great crew of friends who I chill with but who also go out to see the house/trance scene in Chicago - which is fantastic) lol

Even if you think you're not into event based entertainment - you're going to be going out to events - I promise. Good luck getting out of Chicago without going to a Cubs game and sitting in the bleachers with your friends from Kellogg/Booth :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
I think xenok nailed it with his segmentation of entertainment activities: event-based is going to be more expensive no matter where.

As per the budget difference EU/US-UK, I think it comes down to two drivers:

1) Much more friends- rather than event- based entertainment --no need to have motive to hang out, importance of home-based activities.

2) When going out, much lower per-capita consumption (one, max two beer/wine glass/cocktail*): saying 3 beers per 2-3 times a week sounds really weird.

Since I began working, event-based entertainment ramped up a lot for me**, as well as, accondingly, expediture. I believe, though, that friends-based (then cheaper) alternatives could regain lion's share in school.

The different attitude to saving and debt also have a say in this.

* I studied in Scotland for one year in undergrad. First night there, I went out with some colleagues and a Professor. We sat and ordered a beer. 5 minutes later, I barely took a sip, nursing my drink Europe-style, when I was apostrophed by the Professor:"What are you doing? Come on, finish it as we are moving to another bar". This little anecdote pretty much nails it!

** I also believe: the stronger the connection with your associates, the less the need for event-based entertainment. The stronger the will to form new connections, the more the neede for event-based. This may explain why MBA budget could be so generous.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:

* I studied in Scotland for one year in undergrad. First night there, I went out with some colleagues and a Professor. We sat and ordered a beer. 5 minutes later, I barely took a sip, nursing my drink Europe-style, when I was apostrophed by the Professor:"What are you doing? Come on, finish it as we are moving to another bar". This little anecdote pretty much nails it!

Ha ha! The binge drinking culture of the UK :). You should try the central line pub crawl in London, that means starting/finishing in North Acton/Mile End. 1 drink per stop and try to do it before middnight (before 24 hour drinking was allowed, last orders used to be 11pm).

Of course, you can do this on any of the underground lines in London.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
xenok wrote:

3) Alcoholics. Generous Budget. :cry:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2