Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 04 Jul 2015, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 210

Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 11:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:35) correct 10% (00:00) wrong based on 10 sessions
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone can walk me thru the grammatical errors (first and second level) on this problem. I just want to improve on my errors. I don't understand why answer choice (B) is correct over (C). Thanks.

As business grows more complex, students majoring in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming increasingly successful in the job market.

a. majoring in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming increasingly

b. who major in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are becoming more and more

c. who majored in specialized areas such as those of finance and marketing are being increasingly

d. who major in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming more and more

e. having majored in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are being increasingly
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 23

Re: Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 12:37
tonebeeze wrote:
Hey all,

I was wondering if someone can walk me thru the grammatical errors (first and second level) on this problem. I just want to improve on my errors. I don't understand why answer choice (B) is correct over (C). Thanks.

As business grows more complex, students majoring in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming increasingly successful in the job market.

a. majoring in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming increasingly

b. who major in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are becoming more and more

c. who majored in specialized areas such as those of finance and marketing are being increasingly

d. who major in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming more and more

e. having majored in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are being increasingly

first of all, "majoring" is in the present, whereas option c says majored. such as those is also wrong, as is "like those", though i'm not able to explain why. it doesn't sound right to me and i go by my ear. hope this is right :) someone pls tell me if it is. .
Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 41

Re: Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 00:38

Let me try..

1) We dont need past tesnse here maintain parallelism with the first non underlined part of the sentence.
2)words like "those of" and "are being increasingly is too wordy"

Hope this helps

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 316

Kudos [?]: 2356 [0], given: 254

Re: Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 01:18
Expert's post
Finance and marketing are examples of specialized areas- The have to be indicated by - such ….as - rather than – like -. Hence A and D are out.

As business grows more complex is an ongoing activity that will apply to all students now and also those in the future, we have to describe the students in present tense rather than restring it to the past ones. So C and E are out. This leaves us with only B, which uses right tenses and right diction to mark exampling.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Manager
Manager
Schools: Admitted: IESE($$),HEC, RSM,Esade
WE 1: 3.5 years international
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 18

Re: Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 08:50
One more thing I would like to point out is that you cannot use increasingly in this context. It denotes change over time. But the author intends a different meaning for which more and more is the correct usage.
Re: Student Majors SC problem from ETS GMAT exam   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2010, 08:50