Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 7

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (02:09) correct 45% (01:36) wrong based on 212 sessions
103. Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to
absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy
becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city's economy that
becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

My answer is A

In E Lacking is used as a noun rather than as a verb and made parallel to becoming which is a verb is that correct ??
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 23:07
This post received
KUDOS
103. Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to
absorb them into a city economy becoming
ever more dependent on information-based industries.
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy
becoming Meaning. Their lack of math skills does not directly cause the difficulty.
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city's economy that
becomes "Large enough" changes the meaning of the sentence. There is no threshold implied.
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes "So...as" is incorrect. Should be "so...that"
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming "So...as" is incorrect. Should be "so...that"
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming Ok
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V20
GMAT 2: 540 Q43 V28
GMAT 3: 680 Q48 V35
WE: Business Development (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 18

Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
A - such a large degree as - wrong idiom used
B/C - that becomes - changes the meaning as in it is not happening now as we speak.
D - So X ... as to be - wrong idiom

Lacking is right in E as it speaks of something that is happening now or an ongoing action and hence the present participle.

IMO E.

KUDOS - if my post has helped you.

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 05:13
E is the winner.

A classic idiom problem. such...as... vs so...that... . such...as... is generally wrong to when used to indicate extremity
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE: Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 07:09
crick20002002 wrote:
E is the winner.

A classic idiom problem. such...as... vs so...that... . such...as... is generally wrong to when used to indicate extremity

"are so lacking" doesn't sound unidiomatic?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 7

Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 12:46
YEah now i can see that :) :)

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 15:15
E is the correct answer in my opinion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 20:14
E really sounds horrid

Can some one explain why E is correct ?

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 21:39
Agree OA is E for reasons above.... on a side note does anyone think the change from city economy to city's economy should be considered a change of meaning?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 18:14
i recognized the idioms and chose E but at the last moment i changed my answer to D because E uses "city economy" instead of "city's economy". Can you explain this
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 36

Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 18:51
This post received
KUDOS
This one is pretty clear cut. Obviously B/C/D don't work. As per your question regarding A, A does not work because of the "as to" usage. E is super.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 12:05
Expert's post
msvel2304 wrote:
A - such a large degree as - wrong idiom used
B/C - that becomes - changes the meaning as in it is not happening now as we speak.
D - So X ... as to be - wrong idiom

Lacking is right in E as it speaks of something that is happening now or an ongoing action and hence the present participle.

IMO E.

such a large degree as........it is correct idiom by the way. The only reason I feel that A is incorrect is being wordier.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 11:49
E is the answer. 'lack in' is the correct idiom and lacking is a verb and not a noun

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 285

Kudos [?]: 436 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 12:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A good way to determine between (A) and (E) is to look at the verbiage:

(A) lack math skills to such a large degree VS. (E) are so lacking in math skills that

The latter (so...that) is far more concise and is the idiomatic way to express "to such a large degree" without directly stating it.

Therefore, (A) is wordy and (E) it is!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 126

Kudos [?]: 570 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Students in the metropolitan school .... [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 13:16
Expert's post
Chris can you tell me whether the change from city economy to city's economy should be a cause for concern. One more reason of choosing E is keeping the intended meaning, i.e..keeping city economy.
Moreover what is the level of this question? below 30?

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 00:32
Quote:
becoming
becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

I didn't choose E because of pronoun ''them''.
I thought ''them'' can refer back to either ''math skills'' or ''students'',
therefore ''them'' in E is an ambiguous pronoun. Can someone explain why ''them''
is considered correct in E?

Another question, ''so....as to'' in D is not accepted by GMAT as correct idiom ?
is this the reason why D is not chosen ?
Thanks !
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 01:26
Thanks for all. I like this thread
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2012, 23:44
"to such degree that"

is not idiomatic. finished

is my thinking correct?
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 300

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 06:56
sandeep86 wrote:
Quote:
becoming
becomes

[b]I didn't choose E because of pronoun ''them''.
I thought ''them'' can refer back to either ''math skills'' or ''students'',
therefore ''them'' in E is an ambiguous pronoun. Can someone explain why ''them''
is considered correct in E?

[color=#ff0000]I have the same doubt as stated above by my fellow friend !!!

Anyone can state a thumb rule for pronoun antecedent as I have a lot of confusion in that

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 11:24
E

I chose E because A seems to modify the math skills, rather than the students. Is this a correct approach?

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Re: Students in the metropolitan school district lack math   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 11:24