Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

studied 2 months, scored low

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

studied 2 months, scored low [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2007, 20:43
hi all.. just got done with my official GMAT test 2day, 490. not happy at all. I need your advise. shall i take Kaplan class?
I studied Princeton review on my own, and got the office GMAC questions book. spent 6 weeks studying and practicing. however, in my practice tests i was getting 480-500ss...
Now im thinking, what is my next plan of action to get to 650... is the answer Kaplan class? any one been there? does it help?im feeling down after all this studying, but ur forum is making me feel better! shall I get different GMAT books? i felt like the princeton review is very basic,...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: studied 2 months, scored low [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2007, 06:22
mozeh wrote:
hi all.. just got done with my official GMAT test 2day, 490. not happy at all. I need your advise. shall i take Kaplan class?
I studied Princeton review on my own, and got the office GMAC questions book. spent 6 weeks studying and practicing. however, in my practice tests i was getting 480-500ss...
Now im thinking, what is my next plan of action to get to 650... is the answer Kaplan class? any one been there? does it help?im feeling down after all this studying, but ur forum is making me feel better! shall I get different GMAT books? i felt like the princeton review is very basic,...

Sorry to hear about your score, but thinking that merely taking a class will increase your score by 150 points is not quite prudent.

Baby steps. Identify your weaknesses and learn the pertinent concepts. Practice timing.

It's going to take a long time.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: studied 2 months, scored low [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 02:55
mozeh wrote:

Do Some self introspection see what are ur weak areas and come up with a plan of improvement and then see if a class can help you
You may want to prepare couple of months trying to overcome the same
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2007, 04:39
Definitely maintain an error log
Some sample error logs are on this forum itself

If you can't find any, PM me and I'll send you mine
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2007, 05:15
You need to build your basics first. Prep courses are helpful only if you have solid foundation. If need be go back to your high school maths or grammer books.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

what to focus on... [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 20:40
What really worked for me in terms of boosting my overall score was by reviewing every problem in the OG and really analyzing how the book came to their answers. This really helped me on the SC sections because I started to see patterns in every question. You will also start to develop a catalog of base questions and answers in your mind so that when you do see another problem that's very similar, you can reference your past experience and come out with an answer.

Definitely review each problem whether you got it wrong or right. I always reviewed each question, particularly the SC. Understand how they came to the answer. It will help strengthen your memory. Its almost like building a library of examples to fall back on during the exam.

Do 12-15 problems of SC, CR, RC and Quant questions for 3+hours weekly and give yourself time to focus and review over the weekend with full length practice exams to build endurance. This is an absolute must!!!

Keep pacing yourself. ALways time yourself. GIve your self milestones so that you know whether you need to speed up or have enough time. Its all about endurance. But most of all, you have to be confident. I konw the first time i took the exam, i was a little weary about my abilities and needles to say, the score reflected my lack of confidence. Build that confidence.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 21:09
Mozeh - how did your score breakdown? Did you perform alright on one but really weak in another part? Excluding your test, where/how have you consistently scored in terms of Q and V?

From what I've read, I've seen more negative or "so so" comments regarding these prep courses and I truly believe you can do this w/o having to take a class. I think it's a matter of finding out where you're comfortable and where you're not....then we can take it from there.
  [#permalink] 17 Apr 2007, 21:09