Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 23 Jan 2017, 05:09
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 190
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [3] , given: 1

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 13:00
3
This post received
KUDOS
16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (02:29) correct 41% (01:37) wrong based on 698 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 15:13
if the conclusion is based on the premise that OLD RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY DO DIE AFTER A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY THAN BEFORE- THAN A PREMISE THAT SAYS THE SAME THING :'LESS LIKELY" TO DIE BEFORE OR DURING IS STRENGHENING THE CONCLUSION.

THEY HAVE A WILL TO LIVE BEFORE AND DURING A HOLIDAY SO THEY DONT DIE. BUT AFTER A HOLIDAY AND LONG BEFORE THEY HAVE NOT GOT THE WILL TO LIVE. A is right
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 190
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 16:20
How can you infer that waiting after the holidays to die is a sign of willpower? There are always important religious holidays after the upcoming holiday....does that mean that the old people will live forever?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 17:31
1
This post received
KUDOS
premise is:
elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one
the conclusion is:
at least for short periods of time.

so they die right after a holiday-it's the premise and they can make it for a short term.so the holiday that come after the holiday does not really matter. how can you conclude that they live forever.

premise: religion makes power of will for a short time so the eldery are likely to die only after a holiday and not before.

so if you say that eldery are not likely to die before/during a holiday you strenghten the conclusion
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Prep started for the n-th time
Joined: 29 Aug 2010
Posts: 707
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 37

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2011, 18:50
+1 for A.

Kudos to dimri10 for great explanation

Crick
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 145
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 04:31
Why cannot we go for C..It states that some elderly people who practice religion live much longer than people who do not..Isn't that premise enough to state the conclusion that people live longer due to the belief in religion..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 04:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
OptimusPrimea1 wrote:
Why cannot we go for C..It states that some elderly people who practice religion live much longer than people who do not..Isn't that premise enough to state the conclusion that people live longer due to the belief in religion..


IMDO C IS WRONG:
1. nothing in the stem declares something about non-religious or compare between non-religious (NR) and religious (R).
2. nothing in the stem states that R live longer than NR (WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THE STEM DEALS WITH DEATH)- It just states that R deaths are likely to occure after a holiday.
to clarify: according to the stem nothing is declared about NR. so theoritically THE STEN DOES NOT NEGATE the possibility in which all NR live longer than R, but R dies in specific period (after) and not in other periods (during/before).
let's say that all NR in the world are 100 and R are 100 too.

according to the stem a possibility that all 100 NR are over 90 years and all R are just below(i.e) 80, but R tend to die after holidays not during/before because that short power of will in front of a holiday is dragging them only a bit more. hence C is false. this is only MDO.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 27 Apr 2008
Posts: 190
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 09:07
I initially picked E)...how does that not strengthen the conclusion of will power -> live longer?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 204
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2011, 11:20
Not e. 1. E declares lower rates of death for eldery in general not for R eldery. 2. E does not say in what period in fall/spring the lower rates of death are. Maybe the lower rates of death are immidiately after a holiday which weakens the conclusion? 3. If the stem states that they drag only short period it will be an extreme to declare that power of will made them live for all fall or spring In CR every single word is important. I think u could be right if E stated that lower rates of death of Eldery R occure in summer or fall or greater rates after summer or fall that have holidays.

Posted from my mobile device Image
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10542
Followers: 919

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 14:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 384
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 472

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 20:47
mrblack wrote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people


Can Someone explain why Option C is Incorrect here!
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4245
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 3472 [0], given: 101

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 20:57
smartguy595 wrote:
mrblack wrote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people


Can Someone explain why Option C is Incorrect here!


Hi,
the usage of 'some' in ' some elderly people'..
Quote:
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not

It could mean that most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice..
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 384
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 472

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 21:03
chetan2u wrote:
smartguy595 wrote:
mrblack wrote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people


Can Someone explain why Option C is Incorrect here!


Hi,
the usage of 'some' in ' some elderly people'..
Quote:
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not

It could mean that most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice..


Hi Chetan,

how do you deduce the Statement "most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice."

from original statement - "some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not"

if there are total 100 elderly people who practice a religion & 100 who do not practice religion

then as per original statement - (1-100) of elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than (51-100) elderly people who do not.

am not sure how to relate this sentence to Conclusion & eliminate it :(
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
B
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 4245
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 3472 [0], given: 101

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2016, 21:18
smartguy595 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:

Hi,
the usage of 'some' in ' some elderly people'..
Quote:
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not

It could mean that most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice..


Hi Chetan,

how do you deduce the Statement "most elderly people who practice religion live lesser than some who do not practice."

from original statement - "some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not"

if there are total 100 elderly people who practice a religion & 100 who do not practice religion

then as per original statement - (1-100) of elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than (51-100) elderly people who do not.

am not sure how to relate this sentence to Conclusion & eliminate it :(


Hi,
I am not deducing it, since I amusing the word 'could mean'..
what I am saying that with the wordings given this can also be a possibility..

what is important is the usage of word 'some'..
we do not know what is the case with the most of the elderly practicing religion..
IT may be possible..
most practicing could be living more than most of non followers..
But we cannot deduce the above logically fronm choice C..
that is the problem with it..

It just talks of some, which is not sufficient to strengthen because we cannot speak anything about the majority
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Apr 2016
Posts: 162
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 15:36
How can (A) be the answer. Isn't it just repeating what the question stem states?

Could someone please shed some light?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Sep 2015
Posts: 21
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 251

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2016, 04:29
How is A the ans? It is simply re-phrasing the question
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2016
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 09:11
Isn't Option A the re phrasal of the premise given in the argument as it is already given that people who practice a religion die after a religious holiday..
it is easily inferred that before a holiday or during that holiday they don't or areless likely to die.....

And I chose option C..Can anybpdy tell me what is wrong with that?
Fuqua Thread Master
User avatar
B
Joined: 28 Nov 2014
Posts: 767
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 64

Reviews Badge
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 11:42
C is such an irritating choice. Is 'some' the only reason that plagues option C?
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Sep 2016
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 33

CAT Tests
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 02:09
My take on the question.
Premise: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one.
Conclusion: Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

From the conclusion we understand that the WILL TO LIVE is related to PRACTICE OF RELIGION.
We have to select a choice that strengthens the conclusion or makes it more believable.
We know strengthen choice SHOULD be new information and that is what made me choose option C and not A because A is a re-statement of the premise.

After going through the explanation, I understood why C is not correct.
Option C states
SOME elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than MOST elderly people who do not
Such words always make CR questions tricky.

If some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not then there are some elderly people who practice religion but do not live longer (It can be even one person) than elderly people who do not practice.
So this kind of different from what the argument states as it does not mention whether some live or most live. It just states that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one.
So this choice can be eliminated.

Choice A is an extension of what is stated in the argument.
Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.

Is my understanding of ‘some’ correct ?
Can a strengthen answer include information already stated in the argument ?
_________________

Help me make my explanations better. Provide a logical feedback on the explanations if required.

Don't quit.............Do it. :)

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
B
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2380
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 362

Kudos [?]: 1510 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Dec 2016, 11:38
The conclusion is that will to live prolongs life. The premise is that religious people are more likely to die after a religious occasion than before.

The religious people intend to participate in a religious occasion - this intent creates a will to live at least till the day of the occasion. This will in turn makes them live till the day. However as soon as the day is over the intent to participate is gone and hence the will to live also reduces, thus religious people die immediately after the day of the occasion. Hence A is correct.

C is wrong because the argument does not claim that practising religion increases life span - the argument is about whether the will to live prolongs life.
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a   [#permalink] 03 Dec 2016, 11:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 A broad based study of elderly people who say that they have rphardu 6 07 Aug 2011, 13:16
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a PoojaSimply 3 13 Oct 2009, 12:43
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a yyc881123 10 28 Jul 2009, 00:10
38 Experts publish their posts in the topic Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a vksunder 37 20 Jul 2008, 16:16
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records applecrisp 4 08 Dec 2007, 18:04
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.