Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 1

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

57% (02:13) correct 43% (01:42) wrong based on 214 sessions
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers' conclusion?

a) elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year
b) elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people
c) some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not
d) most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do
e) many religious have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 15:13
if the conclusion is based on the premise that OLD RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY DO DIE AFTER A RELIGIOUS HOLIDAY THAN BEFORE- THAN A PREMISE THAT SAYS THE SAME THING :'LESS LIKELY" TO DIE BEFORE OR DURING IS STRENGHENING THE CONCLUSION.

THEY HAVE A WILL TO LIVE BEFORE AND DURING A HOLIDAY SO THEY DONT DIE. BUT AFTER A HOLIDAY AND LONG BEFORE THEY HAVE NOT GOT THE WILL TO LIVE. A is right
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 16:20
How can you infer that waiting after the holidays to die is a sign of willpower? There are always important religious holidays after the upcoming holiday....does that mean that the old people will live forever?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
premise is:
elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one
the conclusion is:
at least for short periods of time.

so they die right after a holiday-it's the premise and they can make it for a short term.so the holiday that come after the holiday does not really matter. how can you conclude that they live forever.

premise: religion makes power of will for a short time so the eldery are likely to die only after a holiday and not before.

so if you say that eldery are not likely to die before/during a holiday you strenghten the conclusion
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2011, 18:50
+1 for A.

Kudos to dimri10 for great explanation

Crick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 04:31
Why cannot we go for C..It states that some elderly people who practice religion live much longer than people who do not..Isn't that premise enough to state the conclusion that people live longer due to the belief in religion..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
OptimusPrimea1 wrote:
Why cannot we go for C..It states that some elderly people who practice religion live much longer than people who do not..Isn't that premise enough to state the conclusion that people live longer due to the belief in religion..

IMDO C IS WRONG:
1. nothing in the stem declares something about non-religious or compare between non-religious (NR) and religious (R).
2. nothing in the stem states that R live longer than NR (WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THE STEM DEALS WITH DEATH)- It just states that R deaths are likely to occure after a holiday.
to clarify: according to the stem nothing is declared about NR. so theoritically THE STEN DOES NOT NEGATE the possibility in which all NR live longer than R, but R dies in specific period (after) and not in other periods (during/before).
let's say that all NR in the world are 100 and R are 100 too.

according to the stem a possibility that all 100 NR are over 90 years and all R are just below(i.e) 80, but R tend to die after holidays not during/before because that short power of will in front of a holiday is dragging them only a bit more. hence C is false. this is only MDO.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 1

Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 09:07
I initially picked E)...how does that not strengthen the conclusion of will power -> live longer?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Old people and dying [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2011, 11:20
Not e. 1. E declares lower rates of death for eldery in general not for R eldery. 2. E does not say in what period in fall/spring the lower rates of death are. Maybe the lower rates of death are immidiately after a holiday which weakens the conclusion? 3. If the stem states that they drag only short period it will be an extreme to declare that power of will made them live for all fall or spring In CR every single word is important. I think u could be right if E stated that lower rates of death of Eldery R occure in summer or fall or greater rates after summer or fall that have holidays.

Posted from my mobile device Image
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2014, 14:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2014, 14:54