Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 08:25
A. C is wrong because it is scoped too widely and does not address the assumption at hand.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2010, 12:34
A.

A ... Shows the will to prolong life for short period..

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 30

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 04:45
GOOD QUESTION.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2011, 13:09
greenoak wrote:
Quote:
I hate this question. I still don't see the connection between will to live and religion (as per your assumption).

The assumption is not mine :) I just tried to analyse the argument’s structure. ‘Assumption’ can be defined as premise which is not stated explicitly (hidden premise). In this sense, ‘religious elder people didn’t die before or during the holiday because of their will to live’ is the argument’s assumption – it is not stated, but implied. Well, I could express it in the following way (more detailed): ‘religious elder people didn’t die before or during the holiday because their religion gives them will to live’.

Then, in our case, the conclusion (theoretically) could be strengthened by
a) strengthening premises or adding additional premises which support the conclusion
b) clarifying assumptions – i.e., stating them explicitly

Personally, for this question I’d prefer ‘clarifying assumption’-way of strengthening the argument – because it’s easy to see that a link between ‘will to live’ and ‘religion’ is missing. However, the authors of the q. did not provide us with the suitable answer choice… The only option that strengthens the conclusion (A) does so by strengthening the premise. So I chose A.

Good explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 07:51
A is definitely the answer. Other options are too extreme to strengthen the link between practicing religion and the increased will to live.

Consider KUDOS if you feel the effort's worth it

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 70

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 04:51
A is the best among all the answers. However, option A seems to be a reiteration of the first sentence of the argument ... it is not really bringing any additional evidence.

Regarding the question on the link between "being religious" and "will to live", I believe religious people eagerly want to attend the religious events for which they wish to live at least till the event.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 488 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2012, 13:50
Expert's post
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers conclusion?

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.

This supports the conclusion that the 'will to live' influences whether someone perishes. Presumably (and I guess we have to make a tiny assumption here), religious people have surge in the will to live during religious holidays. Therefore, they are less likely to die right before or during the religious holiday.

(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people.

This is too general.

(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not.

We are focused not on the longevity per se, but when exactly people die.

(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do.

Out of scope.

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people.

There could be other seasonal variations in deaths of the elderly. We would have to control for these before making any causal inferences between religious holidays and mortality.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 269

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 02:52
prashantbacchewar wrote:
Can somebody please explain why the Answer is A

Premise - elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one
Conclusion - the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time

Any options which strengthen the conclusion is your answer.

(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important religious holiday than at any other time of the year.
(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people. (Does not talk about the will, so ignore)
(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not. (Even non -religious people can have strong will power)
(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do. (No connections)(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people. (No connections)

Only option A strengthen the conclusion

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 11:04
greenoak wrote:
Another A.

Quote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers conclusion?

Premise: religious elderly people die less before or during religious holiday.
Assumption: they didn’t die before or during the holiday because of their will to live
Conclusion: will to live can prolong life

Additional evidence: death probability for religious elderly people is less for the period before or during religious holiday that for any other time of the year (not only for the period after the holiday). This evidence strengthens premise -> strengthens the conclusion.

(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people. (Anxiety is not necessary connected to the ability to prolong life.)

(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not. (this is true only for ‘some’ people. However, it is not enough to make a generalization.)

(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young people do. (The reasons for participating in holidays are not connected either to the ability to prolong life or to the will to live)

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people. (This in fact weakens the conclusion, since it provides alternative explanation: death rates in spring and fall may be lower for another reason)

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an important religious holiday period than immediately before one. So the argument that death probability for religious elderly people is less for the period before or during religious holiday that for any other time of the year is not valid. For me it's B because "Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do other people." so after the religious festival they have less will to live which is not prolonging their life.
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 18:57
I thought this was a very good question. I kind of saw this question as a quant question. It may seem unclear but I'll show you.

In the question the stimulus talked about elderly people and their propensity for death around the religious holidays. I saw the reference point "religious holidays" as a marker in a calendar as well as a greater than or less than sign with elderly death rates as two variables.

I saw an equation such as ----> x < More deaths after Religious Holidays , with "<" meaning "Religious Holiday".

As greenoak pointed out earlier in thread, you can strength the argument by
Quote:
a) strengthening premises or adding additional premises which support the conclusion
b) clarifying assumptions – i.e., stating them explicitly

Answer choice A merely stated the "flip-side" of one of the premises and revealed an assumption in the argument; that if the elderly die more after a religious holiday they will die less often prior to or during a holiday. Therefore, the assumption finishes my equation and affirms/strengthens one of the premises.

Less deaths before --- Religious Holiday --- More deaths after

In addition, this answer choice had many terms and phrases that alerted me that it was "In Scope". Many of the other answer choices seemed irrelevant or out-of-scope.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: CR: elderly people who practice a religion [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2014, 01:15
vksunder wrote:
What is wrong with C?

C talks about some so straightforwardly rejected
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 69

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2014, 17:36
I still don't understand why E is wrong.

If death rates are lower in the seasons where all of the holidays are, doesn't that lend evidence to the idea that elderly people that are willing their way to live through those seasons?
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2014, 22:05
SleeB wrote:
I still don't understand why E is wrong.

If death rates are lower in the seasons where all of the holidays are, doesn't that lend evidence to the idea that elderly people that are willing their way to live through those seasons?

Hi SleeB

(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest death rates for elderly people.

E does not strengthen but rather weakens the conclusion. The conclusion is practicing religious makes people live longer, at least for a short time. But E means NOT religious BUT seasonal affects make people live longer. Thus, E does not strengthen the conclusion.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2014, 22:05