Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 00:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an
important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live
can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers’ conclusion?
(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important
religious holiday than at any other time of the year.
(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do
other people.
(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not.
(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young
people do.
(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest D€@th rates for elderly
people.

I wonder wjy E is not the answer since it is the fact that can support the conclusion that will to live can prolong life.

nuclear-missile defense system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a 12-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century.
The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to enexpected circumstance is unpredictable

Which of the following conclusion can most properly be drawn, if the statements above are true , about a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program?
a>Within a century after its construction, the system would react inappropriately and might accidentally start a nuclear war.
b> the system would be destroyed of an explosion of a large meteorite occurred in the Earth's atmosphere
c> It would be impossible for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the locatin of the blast
d> whether the system would respond to the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the location of the blast
e> it is not certain what the systems response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be , if its designers did not plan for such a contingency
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 05:45
yyc881123 wrote:
Studies have shown that elderly people who practice a religion are much more likely to die immediately after an
important religious holiday period than immediately before one. Researchers have concluded that the will to live
can prolong life, at least for short periods of time.
Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the researchers’ conclusion?
(A) Elderly people who practice a religion are less likely to die immediately before or during an important
(B) Elderly people who practice a religion appear to experience less anxiety at the prospect of dying than do
other people.
(C) Some elderly people who do practice a religion live much longer than most elderly people who do not.
(D) Most elderly people who participate in religious holidays have different reasons for participating than young
people do.
(E) Many religions have important holidays in the spring and fall, seasons with the lowest D€@th rates for elderly
people.

I wonder wjy E is not the answer since it is the fact that can support the conclusion that will to live can prolong life.

I think it is A. E is too broad - the author is suggesting right around the holiday(before/after) not during 2 seasons

nuclear-missile defense system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meteorite explosions in the Earth's atmosphere as large as the one that destroyed forests in Siberia, with approximately the force of a 12-megaton nuclear blast, occur about once a century.
The response of highly automated systems controlled by complex computer programs to enexpected circumstance is unpredictable

Which of the following conclusion can most properly be drawn, if the statements above are true , about a highly automated nuclear-missile defense system controlled by a complex computer program?
a>Within a century after its construction, the system would react inappropriately and might accidentally start a nuclear war.
b> the system would be destroyed of an explosion of a large meteorite occurred in the Earth's atmosphere
c> It would be impossible for the system to distinguish the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the locatin of the blast
d> whether the system would respond to the explosion of a large meteorite would depend on the location of the blast
e> it is not certain what the systems response to the explosion of a large meteorite would be , if its designers did not plan for such a contingency

Probably C or E... E makes more sense if the system is unpredictable.

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Last edited by shaselai on 28 Jul 2009, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 05:51
For the first CR, I would go for
other people.

This supports the argument because, if people (Elderly people who practice a religion) have less anxiety at the prospect of dying, there are chances for them to stay long. I think this strengthens the conclusion.

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 08:54
For the first question, I don't think that it can be "E" because it is talking about elderly people in general and does not say anything specific about elderly people who practice religion.

I think the right choice should be "A."
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 10:50
1) A

2) E

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 11:31
Could someone tell why A is the correct answer for the first question, please?

If it is a 'support' questions, we have to use the information given in the premises, but this is a 'strengthen' questions.

Quote:
other people.

The answer choice A is the paraphrase of one of the premise. The answer choice B has 'new' information.

Please explain..

Keep trying no matter how hard it seems, it will get easier.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 12:09
vannu wrote:
Could someone tell why A is the correct answer for the first question, please?

If it is a 'support' questions, we have to use the information given in the premises, but this is a 'strengthen' questions.

Quote:
other people.

The answer choice A is the paraphrase of one of the premise. The answer choice B has 'new' information.

Please explain..

Well the paragraph never said anything about anxiety at the prospect of dying. B make it sound like that they have "accepted their fate" so dying anytime wont really matter to them. However the topic is about "staying alive a little bit longer".

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 07:38
1) A
2) E

OA please??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 08:40
My answer
B
E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 17:29
OA : A
E--> But i want to ask why E is the right answer. Since I cannot distinguish between e and b. and i think there is some misunderstanding in the question. Could you please explain the whole question for me? many thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: two OG11 questions [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2009, 19:44
pradeepsinha wrote:
My answer
B
E

A is the correct answer. For those who chose B and E, here's the reason why they are wrong. Both weaken the argument.

The argument can be summarized as follows:
People often die after an important date. Thus, people can extend their life until a certain date through their will to live.

In other words, the will to live CAUSES people to prolong life.
Strengthening an argument will mean solidifying this link.
B states that a cause of their longed life is that people are not as stressed. The argument is

Less stress CAUSES people to prolong life.

Hence B introduces an alternative cause. It's not the will to live that prolongs life, but reduced stress found in elders that prolong life. B weakens the author's argument that it is the will to live that directly affects the lifespan.

Furthermore, E states that this relationship happened BY CHANCE. Again, it weakens the argument by saying that it's NOT the will to live.

Hope that helped.
Re: two OG11 questions   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2009, 19:44