Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 09:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 0

Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:19) correct 60% (01:25) wrong based on 650 sessions
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight than people who don’t keep track of what they eat. Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume. One study followed a group of patients who reported that they could not lose weight when consuming only 1,200 calories a day. The study found that the group consumed, on average, 47% more than it claimed and exercised 51% less. In contrast, when dieters record what they eat, their actual consumption more closely matches their reported consumption.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?

(A.) The first is a conclusion reached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.
(B) The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory.
(C) The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory.
(D) The first is a premise upon which the researchers base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.
(E) The first introduces a theory that the researchers have disproved; the second is the basis for the researchers’ argument.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by lkothari on 23 Aug 2008, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 18:18
D

researchers opinion is based on the study (the first bold part) and this opinion is supported by the evidence (2nd bold part)
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 19:43
i picked A since the first boldface seems to be a conclusion to me ...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 22:54
IMO A)
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2008, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
lkothari wrote:
Studies have shown that people who keep daily diet records are far more successful at losing weight than people who don’t keep track of what they eat. Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume. One study followed a group of patients who reported that they could not lose weight when consuming only 1,200 calories a day. The study found that the group consumed, on average, 47% more than it claimed and exercised 51% less. In contrast, when dieters record what they eat, their actual consumption more closely matches their reported consumption.

The two boldface portions in the argument above are best described by which of the following statements?

A. The first is a conclusion reached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.
B. The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory.
C. The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory.
D. The first is a premise upon which the researchers base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.
E. The first introduces a theory that the researchers have disproved; the second is the basis for the researchers’ argument.

The paragraph starts with the reference to studies that point to the same conclusion. Then it discusses a particular study that is in line with the studies that are mentioned in the beginning.

A - the first is not a conclusion reached by the researchers. Even if it is, the second is not the evidence. Second is the result of a different independent study.

D - is the right choice. First is a premise that the researchers start with. Then the second is the result that proves that their opinion is correct.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 11:14
IMO D since the first part is a premise and the 2nd part is an illustration to support it.

Whats the OA?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 14:59
I go with A...

Whats the OA ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 21:43
OA is D.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 33

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 01:50
sanjay_gmat wrote:
lkothari wrote:

A. The first is a conclusion reached by researchers; the second is evidence that that conclusion is correct.
B. The first is an explanation of why a certain theory is thought to be true; the second is an example of research results that support this theory.
C. The first is an example illustrating the truth of a certain theory; the second is a competing theory.
D. The first is a premise upon which the researchers base their opinion; the second illustrates that their opinion is correct.
E. The first introduces a theory that the researchers have disproved; the second is the basis for the researchers’ argument.

The paragraph starts with the reference to studies that point to the same conclusion. Then it discusses a particular study that is in line with the studies that are mentioned in the beginning.

A - the first is not a conclusion reached by the researchers. Even if it is, the second is not the evidence. Second is the result of a different independent study.

D - is the right choice. First is a premise that the researchers start with. Then the second is the result that proves that their opinion is correct.

Very good explanation.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 05:48
Please explain friends

Kingfisher
The king of good times and a companion in bad ones......

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 252 [1] , given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 07:28
This post received
KUDOS
I don't agree with D.
Although the first part is a premise, there is not an opinion. The researches are just reporting a finding in a study.

What is the source please?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 58

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 08:17
This post received
KUDOS
pmenon wrote:
i picked A since the first boldface seems to be a conclusion to me ...

I chose A too. Wouldn't it be a conclusion if I said "Studies have shown that without water life could not be sustained". Lastly, "The study found that.." makes it sound like evidence.

I do see how D could be correct. Can you tell me the source of this question?

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 09:02
Since the second part is not the evidence but finding . A is not correct.

the only left choice is D .

even am not convinced 100%, but the best answer is D.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 9

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 17:34
This post received
KUDOS
I initally chose A as well, but I can see why D is correct.

When "Studies show" something, that means its a fact/premise. I agree that this is not an opinion. But the next sentence "Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume" is definitely an opinion or theory.

And the 2nd boldface does illustrate that their theory/opinion is correct.

Good question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 19:10
i picked b
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 19:36
Very Confusing. I chose A. Can someone explain? Still confused.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 20:14
I picked B. My reasoning is this: The theory according to me is mentioned in this line: "Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume." The first bold faced line is the explanation for that theory.
The line, "One study followed..." indicates that this is just one such example of a research finding. Therefore the second statement indicates an example of a study that contributes to the theory.

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 03:07
+1 for D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 10:59
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
I picked B. My reasoning is this: The theory according to me is mentioned in this line: "Researchers believe that many weight-loss efforts fail because people eat more calories than they intend to consume." The first bold faced line is the explanation for that theory.
The line, "One study followed..." indicates that this is just one such example of a research finding. Therefore the second statement indicates an example of a study that contributes to the theory.

I feel you would be right if the "Researchers believe..." was bolded. But the question asks about the "people who keep a daily journal...".

This is a trick to see if you are paying attention to the question. If the question was an argument style question where nothing was bolded, then that answer could be right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Diet Records [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 23:48
i pick D
Re: CR: Diet Records   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2010, 23:48