Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 21:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies of test scores show that watching television has a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Studies of test scores show that watching television has a [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 01:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:42) correct 52% (00:39) wrong based on 42 sessions
Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents speak English as a second language, as compared to those whose native language is English.

A to those whose native language is English
B with children whose native language is English
C with those who are native English speakers
D to children whose parents do not
E with children whose parents are native English speakers

Can any one suggest why is A wrong
Those is a possessive pronoun should refer to preceeding noun in number which it is refering to parents and should logically refer to.

E is more wordy though its straight fwd.
I always mess up with Comparisons.... Pls suggest me whats wrong in my approach.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hamm0 on 08 Oct 2012, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined missing SC
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 4

Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
Archit143 wrote:
Studies of test scores show that watching television has a markedly positive effect on children whose parents speak English as a second language, as compared to those whose native language is English.

to those whose native language is English
with children whose native language is English
with those who are native English speakers
to children whose parents do not
with children whose parents are native English speakers

Those is a possessive pronoun should refer to preceeding noun in number which it is refering to parents and should logically refer to.

I always mess up with Comparisions.... Pls suggest me whats wrong in my approach.

The best way to solve comparisons is to think the PRIMARY question: What are we comparing?

SO, what are we comparing in this question
Answer: Children whose parents speak english as second language to children whose parents speak english as native language.

A is wrong because it compares children whose parents speak English as a second language TO those whose native language is English

I this case THOSE refers to parents.

Thus only contenders for right answer are B,D ,and E . And B,D can be easily eliminated . Therefore E is the answer
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 03:45
Thanx adineo really ur advise is of great help to me
Coming back to question you mean that what i thought of "those" refering to parents is correct got lill bit miscued
thanks again
given kudos
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 38

Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 04:11
Archit143 wrote:

I always mess up with Comparisions.... Pls suggest me whats wrong in my approach.

Please format the question to make it readable

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2012, 04:46
yashii9 wrote:
Archit143 wrote:

Please format the question to make it readable

I fixed it.

The previous poster is correct - you need to follow what the intention of the sentence is (Who are the native English speakers - the children or the parents?). A is incorrect because it sounds as if the children are the ones that are native English speakers.

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Re: Studies of test scores show that watching television   [#permalink] 08 Oct 2012, 04:46