Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 18:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies show that children who watch too much television are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Studies show that children who watch too much television are [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 01:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (medium)

Question Stats:

26% (02:44) correct 73% (01:28) wrong based on 78 sessions
Studies show that children who watch too much television are more likely than others to become obese adults. Jacob, who is an obese adult, must have watched more television as a child than I did, since I am not obese.

Which of the following most closely parallels the logical structure above ?

A. The hardware store on Main Street must have had a bigger advertisement in the Sunday paper than the hardware store around the corner had. The hardware store on Main Street sold twice as many items as the hardware store around the corner did last week, and a Sunday paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of items sold.

B. Studies show that large dogs lives shorter lives, on average, than small dogs do. Rex is a large dog and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Mustang, who is a small dog.

C.The county superintendent stated that all schools would be canceled for the day if snowfall last night were greater than six inches. Therefore, since the snowfall was only five inches, we must be following the usual school schedule today.

D. According to research, people with unusual musical talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jesse, who has achieved his full musical potential without formal lessons must not have unusual musical talent.

E. People who like vegetables also like fruits. Elizabeth does not like fruits, so she must not like vegetables either.

Kindly help me solve this question. Thanks :)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [3] , given: 85

Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi swarman

The purpose of the argument is to find an explanation i.e result of a comparaison (Jacob must have watched more television as a child than I did) to a present fact (Jacob is an obese adult, I am not an obese adult) based on a result of a study ( Studies show that children who watch too much television are more likely than others to become obese adults)

A. The hardware store on Main Street must have had a bigger advertisement in the Sunday paper than the hardware store around the corner had. The hardware store on Main Street sold twice as many items as the hardware store around the corner did last week, and a Sunday paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of items sold.
The purpose of this argument is to find an explanation i.e result of comparaison ( the HSMS must have had a bigger ads in the S. PAPER than the HSAC) to a present fact (the HSMS sold twice as many items as the HSAC did last week) based on a result of a study ( S. PAPER ADS have been shown to increase the num of items sold)

B. Studies show that large dogs lives shorter lives, on average, than small dogs do. Rex is a large dog and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Mustang, who is a small dog.
The purpose of this argument is to predict an event on the future based on a result of a study

C.The county superintendent stated that all schools would be canceled for the day if snowfall last night were greater than six inches. Therefore, since the snowfall was only five inches, we must be following the usual school schedule today.
The purpose of this argument is to explain the causal-effect of a general statement

D. According to research, people with unusual musical talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jesse, who has achieved his full musical potential without formal lessons must not have unusual musical talent.
the purpose of this argument is to find an explanation to an event occured in the past based on a result of a research

E. People who like vegetables also like fruits. Elizabeth does not like fruits, so she must not like vegetables either.
The purpose of this argument is to predict something based on a general observation

Hence, A is the most closely parallels the logical structure of the original argument.

Hope that helps !

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 1535 [0], given: 612

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 05:38
Expert's post
Rock750 wrote:
Hi swarman

The purpose of the argument is to find an explanation i.e result of a comparaison (Jacob must have watched more television as a child than I did) to a present fact (Jacob is an obese adult, I am not an obese adult) based on a result of a study ( Studies show that children who watch too much television are more likely than others to become obese adults)

The purpose of this argument is to find an explanation i.e result of comparaison ( the HSMS must have had a bigger ads in the S. PAPER than the HSAC) to a present fact (the HSMS sold twice as many items as the HSAC did last week) based on a result of a study ( S. PAPER ADS have been shown to increase the num of items sold)

The purpose of this argument is to predict an event on the future based on a result of a study

The purpose of this argument is to explain the causal-effect of a general statement

the purpose of this argument is to find an explanation to an event occured in the past based on a result of a research

The purpose of this argument is to predict something based on a general observation

Hence, A is the most closely parallels the logical structure of the original argument.

Hope that helps !

good job :) kudos

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 67

Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 09:07
Hi Rock750

thank you for your wonderful explanation. it clearly explained everything :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2013, 16:01
thanks guys :lol: :band

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Re: Studies show that children who watch too much television are   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2013, 16:01