Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 02:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

40% (01:07) correct 60% (01:36) wrong based on 62 sessions
Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons are more likely to eat more food, even if
they don’t purchase alcohol. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing alcohol makes patrons more likely to
eat because the presence of alcohol reminds people that they are participating in leisure activities and they
relax their behavior accordingly.

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

A: Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not.
B: In half of the cases studied, the patrons who ate more did not order alcohol
C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not.
D: Generally, those who consume alcohol during dinner leave larger tips than those who do not.
E: If an alcoholic beverage is prominently displayed within a restaurant, sales of that beverage will increase

Source
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Grockit

OA to follow

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Last edited by gmatbull on 02 Dec 2012, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 44

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 02:56
gmatbull wrote:
Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons are more likely to eat more food, even if
they don’t purchase alcohol. Psychologists hypothesize that simply seeing alcohol makes patrons more likely to
eat because the presence of alcohol reminds people that they are participating in leisure activities and they

Which of the following, if true, most strongly supports the psychologists’ interpretation of the studies?

A: Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not.
C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not.
D: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not
E: If an alcoholic beverage is prominently displayed within a restaurant, sales of that beverage will increase

Source
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Grockit

OA to follow

@Bull : i guess there is a typo... C and D looks same... Just check it..

Among these choices... I go for A....

Statement :
"alcohol makes patrons more likely to eat because the presence of alcohol reminds people that they are participating in leisure activities"

To strengthen this conclusion IMO A.

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 05:03
shanmugamgsn wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

when it is not.
D: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not

Source
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Grockit

OA to follow

@Bull : i guess there is a typo... C and D looks same... Just check it..

Among these choices... I go for A....

Statement :
"alcohol makes patrons more likely to eat because the presence of alcohol reminds people that they are participating in leisure activities"

To strengthen this conclusion IMO A.

Yes, there was a repetition, which I corrected.
Thanks for the observation

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 05:35
Expert's post
I guess there is a difference between ordering food and eating more.
"Such cases" in B refers to cases in restaurants that display alchohols.
Initially went for A but after carefully analysing each word, I got stuck on "ordering food".
Answer has to be B.

Great question

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 22

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 11:45
gmatbull wrote:

when it is not.
D: Generally, those who consume alcohol during dinner leave larger tips than those who do not.

It has to be C. We need to find support for interpretation of the studies which is that seeing alchol has some effect on patrons.
C point out that effect.
This question reminds me the one as seeing the credit card makes patrons pay more tip.
studies-in-the-resturants-show-that-the-tips-left-by-78782.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 28

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 19:27

Conclusion: Alcohol tends to make patron more likely to eat.

This answer choice does not strengthen the argument since the focus of the conclusion is "eat food", NOT "order food"

This choice weakens rather than strengthens the argument: although the effect (eating more) occurs, the cause (alcohol) did not occur.

when it is not.
This choice states that when the cause (alcohol) does not occur, the effect (eat food) does not occur. Hence the correct answer.

Again, this choice is a bit irrelevant when it mentions about tips while the conclusion focuses on how alcohol leads to eating more.

Out of scope - the passage does not mention about sales of alcohol.

There can be Miracles when you believe

AGSM Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 31

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 04:19
IMO C.

If A then B: A- Alcohol reminds people of leisure activity and they relax. B- They eat more.
If Not A then Not B: NOT A - Alcohol reminds people of restriction thus, making then uneasy NOT B- They eat less.

Thus, it takes other possibility out of equation and strengthens the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 05:41
IMO: C

Option (A)
"Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not."

My understanding about this argument as below:
A: Looking alcohol bottles
B: Feeling of Leisure activity
C: Eat too much in relaxed manner.

Premises: A->B, B ->C,
Conclusion: A->C
Option(A) tells people who look at alcohol order more food. It doesn't tell whether people eat too or not ? So, It can't be answer.

Option (C)

"Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not."

When Alcohol is displayed,
Argument: People who drink look at alcohol bottles, feel relaxed and eat too much.
Option (C): People who don't drink, eat less when alcohol is displayed than when it is not displayed.

It means, Display of alcohol has made an effect over the minds of people who drink. So, This option strengthens this given argument.
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:22
gmatbull wrote:

when it is not.

Source
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Grockit

OA to follow

I agree that its cause and effect reasonong question but i cant understand why people are referring C as correct answer choice.

C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not.<<It says people who restrict their alcohol intake
its no where discussed in the argument, the argument lays emphasis on the display of the alcohol and not its consumption...I my opinion its a trap...

Its a tough pick between A and B

B: In half of the cases studied, the patrons who ate more did not order alcohol<< States they did not order alcohol, they felt as if they were participating in leisure activities just by looking at the display and hence ate more food>> Biggest problem with this option it leaves a gap for the other 50% of people. Hence felt to reject the answer...............

I would like to go with A, though ordering the food doesn't mean eating the food.
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 590 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 09:26
Expert's post
Archit143 wrote:
gmatbull wrote:

when it is not.

Source
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Grockit

OA to follow

I agree that its cause and effect reasonong question but i cant understand why people are referring C as correct answer choice.

C: Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not.<<It says people who restrict their alcohol intake
its no where discussed in the argument, the argument lays emphasis on the display of the alcohol and not its consumption...I my opinion its a trap...

Its a tough pick between A and B

B: In half of the cases studied, the patrons who ate more did not order alcohol<< States they did not order alcohol, they felt as if they were participating in leisure activities just by looking at the display and hence ate more food>> Biggest problem with this option it leaves a gap for the other 50% of people. Hence felt to reject the answer...............

I would like to go with A, though ordering the food doesn't mean eating the food.

Hii Archit.
Archit only C allows us to remain in our limits, follows Not A-->Not B relationship.
All other options are disasters. I too did commit the same mistake.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 10:02
Hi Marcab

I would ike to reiterate my point that "alcohol intake" is no where described in the argument.....I think lets wait for the OA and OE...may be i am missing something....
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 14:43

when it is not.

IMO, it is A.

Also ordering food is to eat it. As with the other quoted example tipping more is different than paying more.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
Hi nanishora, Archit143
For example, you entered into the restaurant with your kids. Whatever you order, do you eat everything ? No. You may order it for your family. So, Ordering food is different than eating (as per GMAT also). If you have studied OG 12, you may remember a similar assumption question below.

Quote:
Homeowners aged 40 to 50 are more likely to purchase ice cream and are more likely to purchase it in larger amounts than are members of any other demographic group. The popular belief that teenagers eat more ice cream than adults must, therefore, be false.
The argument is flawed primarily because the author

(A) fails to distinguish between purchasing and consuming.
(B) does not supply information about homeowners in age groups other than 40 to 50.
(C) depends on popular belief rather than on documented research findings.
(D) does not specify the precise amount of ice cream purchased by any demographic group.
(E) discusses ice cream rather than more nutritious and healthful foods.

If you understand, answer to above question is A, Similar logic should work in given question. That is why A can not be answer here :)

Study is carried out with conditions that 1) people drink alcohol 2) Alcohol is displayed and people are able to view it. Study can be strengthened if we prove outcome is false when any of the conditions is not present. For example, When people sitting in the restaurant do not drink, would they feel themselves in leisure? would they eat more. Here we are strengthening that people are eating more only after looking at the alcohol and their sense of feeling after looking at it.

About option (B) In half of the outcomes falsify the result, so it doesn't help to prove anything. It an option to confuse us :wink:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 247 [1] , given: 67

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2012, 23:16
This post received
KUDOS
umeshpatil wrote:
IMO: C

Option (A)
"Patrons of bars who sit facing the alcohol are more likely to order food than those who do not."

My understanding about this argument as below:
A: Looking alcohol bottles
B: Feeling of Leisure activity
C: Eat too much in relaxed manner.

Premises: A->B, B ->C,
Conclusion: A->C
Option(A) tells people who look at alcohol order more food. It doesn't tell whether people eat too or not ? So, It can't be answer.

Option (C)

"Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than when it is not."

When Alcohol is displayed,
Argument: People who drink look at alcohol bottles, feel relaxed and eat too much.
Option (C): People who don't drink, eat less when alcohol is displayed than when it is not displayed.

It means, Display of alcohol has made an effect over the minds of people who drink. So, This option strengthens this given argument.

May be you are correct but terming those who have deliberately restricted as non drinkers is incorrect as deliberate means something which is done consciously. The whole option can also be re written as "People who restrict their drinking habit eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed" we have to strengthen that when drinkers see the alcohol bottles they fyl relaxed and eat more but option C states when People who deliberately restrict their drinking (who are drinkers) eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed, its contradictory they should have eaten more as they after seeing the bottles they will feel restrict.

A non drinker will not deliberately restrict its drinking as he is a non drinker. There is no need to restrict since he does not drinks.....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2012, 00:16
Quote:
May be you are correct but terming those who have deliberately restricted as non drinkers is incorrect as deliberate means something which is done consciously. The whole option can also be re written as "People who restrict their drinking habit eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed" we have to strengthen that when drinkers see the alcohol bottles they fyl relaxed and eat more but option C states when People who deliberately restrict their drinking (who are drinkers) eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed, its contradictory they should have eaten more as they after seeing the bottles they will feel restrict.

A non drinker will not deliberately restrict its drinking as he is a non drinker. There is no need to restrict since he does not drinks.....

Archit,
+1 Kudos. Framing of it may be wrong. :x I wrote it such because I am non-drinker and restrict drinking along with my friends :)
At the end, individual framing is always different. So the understanding the argument should be the prime motive.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 95

CAT Tests
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 11:16
Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed.
Shouldn't it be not prominently displayed? As It is stated in the conclusion that simply seeing alcohol makes patrons more likely to
eat because of the presence of alcohol
Can someone help me out?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 16:19
I chose A.

B says 1/2 who ordered alcohol ate more, but 1/2 who didn't ate more as well. This doesn't help us at all.

for C, mahendru1992 is correct. In the passage it states alcohol being prominently displayed makes people eat more, but in C it says the opposite-- that while alcohol was prominently displayed, patrons ate less.

D and E are out of scope
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4774 [0], given: 163

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2013, 20:21
Expert's post
bugzor wrote:
I chose A.

B says 1/2 who ordered alcohol ate more, but 1/2 who didn't ate more as well. This doesn't help us at all.

for C, mahendru1992 is correct. In the passage it states alcohol being prominently displayed makes people eat more, but in C it says the opposite-- that while alcohol was prominently displayed, patrons ate less.

D and E are out of scope

The answer is (C).

The question is a replica of an OG question. (tips has been replaced by eat more and credit card logo has been replaced by alcohol). Check:
q14-studies-in-restaurants-show-that-the-tips-left-by-21313.html#p140124

Here is the explanation modified to suit this question:

Argument: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons are more likely to eat more food.

Why would that be? Why would there be a difference when alcohol is displayed?

Psychologists' hypothesize that seeing alcohol reminds people that they are having fun and they relax i.e. seeing alcohol has an effect on people.

We have to support the psychologists' interpretation.

Say, I change the argument a little and add a line:

Argument: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display patrons are more likely to eat more food, even if
they don’t purchase alcohol. Patrons who deliberately restrict their alcohol intake tend to eat less when alcohol is prominently displayed than
when it is not.

Now, does the psychologists' interpretation make even more sense. Understand that the psychologists' interpretation is only that 'seeing alcohol has effect on people'. The part 'they are reminded that they are participating in leisure activities and hence relax' explains the 'eating more'. If we are given that some eat less on seeing alcohol and some eat more on seeing it, it makes sense, right? Different people have different reactions to alcohol. Hence, people react differently to alcohol and eat accordingly. Hence, option (C) makes the probability of psychologists' interpretation being true stronger because it tells you that in case of restricted intake, customers eat less. This is what you would expect if the psychologists' interpretation were correct.

It's something like this:
Me: After 12 hrs of night time sleep, I can't study.
Your theory: Yeah, because your sleep pattern is linked to your level of concentration. After a long sleep, your mind is still muddled and lazy so you cant study.
Me: After 4 hrs of night time sleep, I can't study either.

Does your theory make more sense? Sure! You said 'sleep pattern is linked to your level of concentration'. If I sleep too much, my concentration gets affected. If I sleep too little, again my concentration gets affected. So your theory that 'sleep pattern is linked to your level of concentration' certainly makes more sense.

Hence, C is correct.

Other options:
A - Not correct. As pointed out above, ordering food is not the same as eating food. +1 to umeshpatil for pulling out that OG question. People may order more but they may not be relaxed enough to eat more of it.
B - Out of scope. The argument does not have anything to do with 'ordering alcohol'. It is all about 'looking at alcohol' and 'eating food'.
Similarly, D and E are also out of scope.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 36

Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 05:35
So, you're saying b/c they're restricting alcohol intake, they are not relaxed, and relaxation is the cause for how much a person eats?
Re: Studies show that in restaurants where alcohol is on display   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2013, 05:35