Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2274 [2] , given: 31

Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

87% (02:03) correct 13% (01:01) wrong based on 132 sessions
Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential, the students often accept this damaging diagnosis and the life limits it implies.
(A) in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential
(B) when they neglect providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential
(C) when teachers neglect to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential
(D) in neglecting in providing the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential
(E) in being neglectful with respect to providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential

For a full discussion of modifiers, as well as an explanation of this question, see this blog:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/

Mike :-)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1377 [2] , given: 122

Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
Tough question, Mike :) +1 kudo

IMO, C is correct because the structure should be: "Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume ..........., and when teachers neglect ............". Who neglects to provide the academic challenges? ==> should be teachers, not students

(A) in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential
Wrong. "in neglecting" is not parallel. "their" is not clear, we may think their modifies students.

(B) when they neglect providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential
Wrong. "they" modifies students. "Neglect to do" sounds more idiomatic than "neglect doing".

(C) when teachers neglect to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential
Correct. Clear meaning.

(D) in neglecting in providing the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential
Wrong. "in neglecting" is not parallel.

(E) in being neglectful with respect to providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential
Wrong. " in being neglectful with respect to" sounds awkward. "their" is not clear, we may think their modifies students.

Please correct if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 19:34
Expert's post
The first thing is to decide who has to provide the impetus? Is it the students themselves or the teachers? If the students have to provide the necessary challenges themselves, why will they then need a teacher? So the onus is entirely on the teachers. In addition, this fact should be stated in the text clearly without ambiguity

(A) in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential --- The teachers are amiss in the subordinate clause. A classic case of dangling modification.

(B) when they neglect providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential --- they – doubtful reference – whether ‘they’ refers to students or teachers has not been made clear.

(C) when teachers neglect to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential---- clear modification and no dilemma of ambiguous references; ‘their’ clearly marks the teachers.

(D) in neglecting in providing the academic challenges that would catalyze their students’ intellectual potential-----1. Wrong modification; the teachers should come immediately after the comma. 2. In neglecting in providing - awful idiom.

(E) In being neglectful with respect to providing the academic challenges that would be catalyzing their intellectual potential --- the pronoun can refer to either the teachers or the students; secondly in being neglectful is rather inelegant

Nice practice question ; deserves a kudo.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 57

Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 20:13
I guess pronoun ambiguity is being tested. C perfectly represents the role of teachers and that of students as presented in the SC.
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2274 [0], given: 31

Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 10:11
Expert's post
btg9788 wrote:
I guess pronoun ambiguity is being tested. C perfectly represents the role of teachers and that of students as presented in the SC.

Well, I would say the logical issue of what modifies what is also a big part of this sentence. Suppose there were no pronouns present, and think about (A) ------
... in neglecting to provide the academic challenges, the students ....
The students aren't the ones who would provide, or neglect to provide, the academic challenges. The GMAT loves logical glitches like this. Remember, the GMAT SC tests logic as much as it tests grammar.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1006 [0], given: 936

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 11:10
Expert's post
C should be the answer

1) A comma immediately after underlined part indicates that the underlined part should be subordinate clause and should logically be connected to the following main clause students………….it implies. This is because later is consequence of an earlier action

2) The usage of their is ambiguous. I also have doubt that that may be referring to providing

3) Correct Choice. Corrects both errors presented above.

4) Incorrect for the same reasons sited in Choice A and B

5) wordy and awkward usage in being neglectful with respect to providing the academic challenges.

Regards,

Narenn

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 23:05
[quote="mikemcgarry"]Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that students who regularly perform poorly on assessments have below-average abilities, and in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential, the students often accept this damaging diagnosis and the life limits it implies.

Good testing of modifier...

clearly if you understand the meaning of the sentence you can nail this one seconds
since:
"in neglecting to provide the academic challenges that would catalyze their intellectual potential"===>this one followed by students so it is modifying students....but it is not the students who are neglecting to provide academic challenges..instead teachers are neglecting...

so now if you scan through....you will find only C IS MAKING SENSE.

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

SVP
SVP
Followers: 277

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 08:23
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 42

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2014, 23:43
I understand that this question has a pronoun error and we can get the best answer by correcting the pronouns. But my question is, i have learned that 'when' is used to only refer to a time frame. How can the usage of 'when' be correct here?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2274 [1] , given: 31

Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2014, 10:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
jacobneroth wrote:
I understand that this question has a pronoun error and we can get the best answer by correcting the pronouns. But my question is, i have learned that 'when' is used to only refer to a time frame. How can the usage of 'when' be correct here?

Dear jacobneroth
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Yes, "when" always refers to a time frame, but we have many ways of referring to a time frame. One way is to refer to the particular time frame during which a particular action takes place or took place.

When Athens condemned Socrates to death . . .
When Napoleon was defeated at Waterloo . . .
When a pope dies . . .
When Obama has his press conference tomorrow . . .
When a soccer team has a corner kick . . .
When a GMAT student asks a question . . .
When teachers neglect to provide the academic challenges to their students . . .

All of those are particular time frames. Some of them are unique one-time-only time-frames, and some of them are recurrent and maybe even frequent. For example, soccer is played all over the world, so it may happen hundred of time each day that a soccer team somewhere on the planet has a corner kick. The frequency doesn't matter. At that particular time and place, the action of a corner kick is happening, and the "when" refers to events during that very specific time frame.

Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: Studies show that teachers unconsciously assume that   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2014, 10:54