Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 03:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 19

Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:04
I have been studying alone for the GMAT for the past few months.
Do folks who do well on the test study alone, find a study group or take a Prep class?
Please let me know how you studied to get a good score.

Currently I am scoring anywhere from 620-670 on CATs. If I take a regular prep class, won't it just cover the basics (stuff that I already covered)? Would I need to take an advanced class or hire a private tutor since I have already studied by myself for a few months?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 238

Kudos [?]: 790 [1] , given: 82

Re: Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class? [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatprep1982 wrote:
I have been studying alone for the GMAT for the past few months.
Do folks who do well on the test study alone, find a study group or take a Prep class?
Please let me know how you studied to get a good score.

Currently I am scoring anywhere from 620-670 on CATs. If I take a regular prep class, won't it just cover the basics (stuff that I already covered)? Would I need to take an advanced class or hire a private tutor since I have already studied by myself for a few months?

Hi gmatprep1982,

I have tried both the ways (with/ without a GMAT prep class) and found studying alone a better option and having a study group is an even better option. GMAT is an exam which tests your level of aptitude/ reasoning in Verbal and Quant. So, it varies from person to person. The best thing about an in person class is that you get a study group with whom you can discuss. But these days, you can do the same at GMAT Club or other online forums. The best thing would be to find out your comfort level. If you are someone who can motivate yourself and stay focused then there is no need to take up a prep class. There is a very high probability that if you have been studying for a couple of months then the prep class may waste a lot of your time covering the basic stuff. In GMAT the awareness of your strengths and weaknesses will drive you to a higher score. To be aware is important, how you do it depends on your preference on one way over another. You have to find it yourself, which way you will be most comfortable. All the best !!

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:24
Prep Course:

It is a good idea if you are starting out and want to be on the straight and narrow. It also serves to discipline your routine since you end up going to the class (thanks to the $$ you paid).

However not so great idea if you have already covered the basics and the particular course caters to those who start from the very basic.

Study Alone:

It is a good idea if you want flexibility and are the type of person who like to study by yourself. Ofcourse you should take help of forums such as GMATClub :)

Not so good idea if you tend to be low on motivation, will-power - a few days of slack can easily snowball.

Study Group:

It is a good idea if you are sharing experiences, getting better by explaining topics to each other, exchanging study material etc.

Not so good idea if you are dependent on others for your plan, or it takes up too much of your time during weekends.

Its upto you to take a pick :)

Arun

Free GMAT Resources | Ebooks | Videos | Articles |
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/

CrackVerbal Live Online Course with 99th%ile Faculty
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-online

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE: Asset Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 42

Re: Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 14:15
I have only done the study alone preparation, but I thought it was useful for targeting my strengths. I think after a certain point you really have to focus and hone in on your weaknesses and improve on those. This is where studying with someone else may help, because they can figure out these weaknesses that you cannot see yourself. It may also be difficult to self study if you are unable to keep a real structured study schedule, but I do agree that a combination of self study and the forums should be enough to get you to the score you want.
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 602 [0], given: 5

Re: Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class? [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 19:44
Expert's post
Whichever method you choose - the general idea is the same: to get new perspective on how to think about a question.

You can see how other students look at a question through study groups, classes, or tutoring. All methods work. Some may have more logistical headaches in terms of fitting them into your busy schedule (i.e. group classes - actually showing up to class might involve traffic, waking up early, etc..)

Online courses effectively do the same thing. Some people prefer in-person interaction, but if you prefer to move at your own pace, don't dismiss what's out there.

In the end, you want to see GMAT questions in the way someone else does. This helps shape your perspective and usually makes you more confident in other questions going forward.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Study alone, find a study group and/or take a class?   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2013, 19:44