Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study GMAT with a friend?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 21:14
So my dad's former co-worker has a daughter who plans to take a GMAT around the end of this year/beginning of next year. So when I told her that I am studying for GMAT too she immediately suggested that we should do it together. I agreed because I think she's very serious about it and she is always very nice to me. Now here's the thing: the more I think about it, the more freaked-out I am. Here are just few of my concerns:

- What is her level of English? She never studied abroad, only in Vietnam, where English are limitedly used. I have studied in US for 4 years now. Will we find a way that both of us can progress at the same speed?

- How do I take the best advantage out of studying with a partner? What do we need to do when we study together? And how about after the meeting? Should we do the practice exercises first then meet to discuss our answers?

- How about schedule? She has a very social life and so do I. With at least 1 hour/day to study GMAT, how are we gonna find time to meet up?

So those are just a few. If anyone has any experience/idea about this, could you share it with me? Thanks

(Wow, my English sucks hard today. I don't know why.)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [3] , given: 29

Re: Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
(1) There's the thesis that non-native speakers have less impediments to master the SC, since their ear is not "trained" and used to the mistakes made in daily speech that the GMAT likes to test. I do not necessarily agree with the above, but in your case it may be relevant and prove less disadvantage than you think. Not having studied in an English speaking country could well make her much more motivated to master SC.

(2) the obvious things: the strategies that work, shortcuts, tricks that help you streamline the test taking process, things you have learned about the exam / application process etc organizational/soft stuff.
Plus you may halve the cost of study materials if you need to (and make a plan) (I personally write on the textbooks themselves and "customize" them beyond recognition :wink: so this would not work for me).
the less obvious stuff: sharing your error logs, explaining things to each other (that would take you much more time to grasp otherwise) and by explaining - learning more efficiently.
now, obviously, most of the studying you will be doing on your own, so no reason to freak out. Just make sure the arrangement does not lull you into thinking your study time is only when you are together... this will not work - make sure you follow your own pace, use your own the time windows of opportunity, etc - studying together should be fault-tolerant i.e. if one has fallen behind it should not affect the other - if you figure out how to do this, there would be no reason to freak out.

One way to make things interesting and learning effective is to get together, each solve a small batch (7-8) of questions on your own, compare the results before checking whether the answers are right; if you have differences - explain to each other why you think you are right; then check the answers, explain to each other again.

(3) "How about schedule?"
Well, I cannot be of much help with that. But as I said - most of the learning you will have to do on your own either way. Get together to do the most interesting/ tricky things and questions, explain the really unusual stuff to each other, share strategies, etc.

(My English sucks today too - and the coffee machine is broken which compounds the issue =)

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

When you give kudos, you do not lose your previously earned kudos, you rather contribute to the forum's culture of appreciation.

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 5

Re: Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 02:59
I wouldn't worry about whether she's on the same level as you. Teaching someone else is one of the best ways to secure your understanding of a topic, so you'll be able to get something out of the study-partnership either way.

Plus, maybe she's better at quant than you :D
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 66

Re: Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 06:01
jko wrote:
I wouldn't worry about whether she's on the same level as you. Teaching someone else is one of the best ways to secure your understanding of a topic, so you'll be able to get something out of the study-partnership either way.

Plus, maybe she's better at quant than you :D

I can't agree more with jko. A month back, I started teaching math at a coaching center in my city and I must say I have gained a lot from the experience.

I just remembered this quote:

"A mentor is just a more seasoned student"

In order to teach, you have to learn. For that you have to become a student before becoming a mentor! Thus, you have nothing to lose from this undertaking! Go ahead 8-)

CAUTION:

However, the teacher can only be effective if the student is willing to learn. If you feel that your study partner is not as serious as you, then it's better to avoid studying with her. The question is not about what level your partner is at, but how motivated she is ;)

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 21:38
Hi...

I am from Dhaka, Bangladesh. I am attending GMAT exam in December. I need a study partner to prepare myself.

Pamela
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 02:09
Expert's post
I don't think having a full-time study partner is the best method to prepare for the GMAT, as such relationships can become one-sided. There's nothing wrong with helping someone, but your time is valuable and you need to worry about your self in this situation. If you have the time, energy, and desire to work with another, then maybe it's okay. But once you start to sacrifice GMAT points for the sake of somebody else's, then there's a problem.

But let's say that you agree to the partnership. Organization and synchronization of time schedules and study plans are crucial. Another important issue is to realize your goals and limits. Don't agree to anything that puts your GMAT score in danger or prevents you from reaching your potential.

I know this sounds a bit cold, but you are the priority here. This is not the time to compromise or sacrifice. I wish both of you the best, but neither of you needs the additional burden of the other. It is certainly possible that a study partner can be beneficial, but your post feels stressed and nervous already. These are not promising signs.

A previous poster mentioned that explaining concepts is a great way to learn the material. I completely agree! And that's why GMATClub is the perfect outlet for that. You can help people when you want and if you want, as well as learn from others with the same amount of freedom. Perhaps you can suggest the website to your friend.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Study GMAT with a friend? [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2011, 19:51
Hey there. I dont have exactly the same issue but something similar to ask u all. I have a Phd student who is willing to help me in english and a Engineering student who is willing to help me in math. They both will honestly help me whole heartedly. I just need to know how to use them at full potential. What should be my study plan. I am taking GMAT on Dec 5.2011. Thanks.
Re: Study GMAT with a friend?   [#permalink] 24 Sep 2011, 19:51