Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study Plan for 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 05:46
I started studying for the GMAT 6 weeks ago. I started with the Princeton Review Guide and then took a practice test from GMAC. I scored a 690 with a 44 Quant and 40 Verbal. I continued with the Official Guide, however, I did not find it all that useful because the explanations are not very good. I finished the Problems, Data Sufficiency, and Sentence Correction sections (my weakest areas) and scored a 690 again. My primary problem is running out of time on the Quant (I rushed the last 10 questions of both tests and completely guessed on the last 5 or 6), so that is killing me.

Anyways... I am trying to revamp my study plan. I am applying for PHD programs for the fall of 13 and I need to score at least a 700+, however, I would like to score a bit higher. Where do I go from here? The MGMAT books? I have even considered the MGMAT online class? I don't mind spending the money on the MGMAT class if it will help me improve.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 07:42
I also forgot to mention Knewton... In my situation would Knewton or MGMAT be more beneficial?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2012, 06:35
Classes attempt to have a one size fits all (for the most part). The instruction may very well fill in the gaps in your own prep.

My own score improved from a 610 to a 710 and I used MGMAT. After the class I realized I could have self prepped, but I do not regret taking the course. It was very useful, the MGMAT staff was excellent (good instruction/explanation, office hour staff, etc.) and well worth the amount I spent. Knewton offers the 50 point guarantee, that might be more up your alley since you're determined to get above your current scoring level.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 05:39
Thanks for the advice! The only hesitation that I have with Knewton is that their 50 point guarantee is based off their own initial assessment. I have read reviews by many individuals who believe that the assessment is low. I guess I could take the real gmat. and get an actual score and then enroll in Knewton. Thoughts?

Some additional info... I finished the FDP book from MGMAT and took the Free CAT 1. I scored a disappointing 640 (Q43, V32). At this point I am questioning my direction. please help. Does the free cat generate a lower score as a marketing ploy to get you to enroll in their prep or did I really drop 50 points? Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 06:01
People generally report MGMAT being more difficult than the real thing. Don't feel so discouraged.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 11:39
Thanks for the encouragement. I was primarily confused how my Verbal dropped so much. I anticipated the Quant to be tougher, which I think is true, but I was not expecting to drop that much on the Verbal. The scary part is that I didn't feel like I was getting my butt kicked by the Verbal that bad, but the Quant was a different story.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 1

Re: Study Plan for 700+ [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2012, 12:22
Haven't used the GMATPrep software yet, but the MGMAT CATs seem tougher than the problems in the OG. Is there a significant discrepancy in the difficulty between these two?
Re: Study Plan for 700+   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2012, 12:22