Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 13:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hello fellow GMAT-takers,

I need help regarding my study plan.

I've been studying about 6 hours a week for the past month and took my 1st GMATPrep CAT exam and scored:

V41 Q37(I think this was scored as a 680 but I could be mistaken, when I went back to review my score it only gave me the V/Q breakdown but not the overall score. So it could've been lower.)

I was pleasantly happy with my score considering that I checked a few sports box scores during my session, stopped mid-session to pick up my lunch from the delivery man, and began with relatively light study sessions as I wanted to ease into the training. However, I know very well not to take this exam lightly and that this is no immediate indicator as to how I will perform on test day.

The only 2 resources I have used to this point is "GMAT for Dummies" (bought this 2 yrs ago and have not seen one recommendation on this book) and the "OG 12th ed" book with questions. Basically, my study plan thus far has been terrible. I get distracted easily and have decided enough is enough, time to formulate a game plan. I have a full-time job and since I can't risk studying at the office on weekdays, I don't have many study places nor time that allow me to focus for long lengths at a time.

Would you recommend the Manhattan GMAT Guided Self-Study option in this case? My qualms with this is if this is geared more for test-takers trying to break 650+ scores or so, whereas I need a higher GMAT score due to my relatively low undergrad GPA. I also consider this to be quite expensive ($790 w/ recorded lectures) in comparison to purchasing the books separately via B&N or amazon. What is some of your feedback in engaging in this expensive Self-Study option? For those who have tried this option or are currently taking it, how is the pacing? Are you getting ripped off with the $790 price tag considering it is, after all, a "self-study "program?

Thanks in advance for all feedback guys, I can't wait to begin this challenging journey!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [3] , given: 5

Re: Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The most cost effective way is to focus on the highest quality prep materials from the GMAT makers themselves:
1) GMAT Prep software
2) Official Guide 11th or 12th edition is fine

If you want more practice, you can use OG Verbal review and Quant review books

As for study plan, we recommend a 1 month approach for busy professionals. Spend 2-3 hours per night after your long workday and hardcore days weekends. Focus on marking questions you get wrong and redoing them the next day and the day after.

If you don't like learning from a book and want something that isn't quite as expensive as other courses, GMATPill offers online video courses that have helped lots of people.

Whatever material you do end up using, make sure you follow these tips:
http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... mat-study/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 7

Re: Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2012, 15:23
OjilEye wrote:
Would you recommend the Manhattan GMAT Guided Self-Study option in this case? My qualms with this is if this is geared more for test-takers trying to break 650+ scores or so, whereas I need a higher GMAT score due to my relatively low undergrad GPA. I also consider this to be quite expensive ($790 w/ recorded lectures) in comparison to purchasing the books separately via B&N or amazon. What is some of your feedback in engaging in this expensive Self-Study option? For those who have tried this option or are currently taking it, how is the pacing? Are you getting ripped off with the $790 price tag considering it is, after all, a "self-study "program

Hey,

Other than the live instruction that a course provides, Guided Self-Study Plus gives you everything else that's included with our courses. Not only do you receive all of our books, but you get a ton of other stuff that you can't find on a third-party site, including a full set of course recordings to watch anytime, a ton of online resources (practice tests, assessment reports, labs, tracking tools, etc.), office hours, organizational materials to help structure your study and more. Since it's self-study, the pacing is entirely up to you. If you're curious to see what the class recordings are like, try attending the first session of one of our Live Online courses for free. Also, if you buy the Complete Prep Set directly from us and later decide that you want the guidance and extra resources of our Guided Self-Study program, we'll credit you the cost of the books. I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any other questions and hopefully some past students can give you more insight.

Best,
Matt Mapplebeck
Online Marketing Associate
Manhattan GMAT

Matt Mapplebeck | Manhattan GMAT Online Marketing Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep? [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 18:05
I have 35 days. I need 500 score. How i start? I took GMAT earlier but score was not good. I have 8 hours everyday to study GMAT.
looking forward very kind responses.
Re: Study Plan Options - Manhattan GMAT Self-Study Prep?   [#permalink] 22 Sep 2013, 18:05