Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

study strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

study strategies [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 06:08
hey everyone,

i've begun studying for the gmats about 1 1/2 weeks ago. i'm shooting to take the test in late-july - late-aug.

based on what i've read on the boards, it is recommended to take like 25 PS/10 DS/10 RC/10 CR/10 SC every day or night? Then to review the answers I've gotten wrong thoroughly and understanding why i got it wrong?

I'm working along the lines of that strategy, while planning to do reviews on Thursdays or Fridays and taking a practice test on the weekends. Is that the preferred strategy? Does that sound about right for the next few months?

I'm currently working through the OG11 book right now...sometimes I feel the answer explanation is sufficient, other times not so much. Maybe I'm just rusty. I've been keeping an error log and do notice a trend of mistakes (such as missing a lot of inference questions on verbal).

What do you think? Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 07:22
I am on the same boat here too. I am taking my test on June 28th. Planning to start studying intensively in May. Have the following books to utilize:

PR Book
OG 11th and 10th
Kaplan with CD
Kaplan 800
10 CATs

So what is the best way to utilize these materials?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 07:25
hi,

I plan to write in first week of July 2007 as well. I am not sure what 25 PS/10 DS/10 RC/10 CR/10 SC is? Would you please explain.

I joined GMAT club yesterday and do not know any of this jargon. :cry:

thanks.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2007, 08:32
Simi wrote:
hi,

I plan to write in first week of July 2007 as well. I am not sure what 25 PS/10 DS/10 RC/10 CR/10 SC is? Would you please explain.

I joined GMAT club yesterday and do not know any of this jargon. :cry:

thanks.

PS = Problem Solving
DS = Data Sufficiency
RC = Reading Comprehension
CR = Critical Reasoning
SC = Sentence Correction
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 18:19
I read around some blogs on my own. I'm changing my early strategy.

I've been studying the GMATs for about 2 weeks now (still abt 4 months from the actual GMAT). The past 2 weeks, I've been studying every section every night.

It doesn't seem like the strategy is working as I notice that my scores are going down! Could be from the fact that I'm facing tougher questions now as opposed to the start (I'm using OG11 book).

Another theory is that I'm spreading myself too thin...especially since I've only started studying just recently. Going through 5 subjects in one sitting, when they're different subjects, I feel is spreading me too thin. I'm probably not retaining that much since one moment I'll be learning triangles, next hour...I'll be working on my grammar.

So I'm refocusing on my weakness (right now, PS) and I'll be working on that solely for the next 1-2 weeks. Then I'll focus on my next weakness and so forth. Of course, I'll still be reviewing previous subjects, otherwise I could forget them in 4 months!

Let me know what you think about the shift in study strategy.

PS. I'm studying the MGMAT Word Translation book right now. Hopefully, it will help as I finish off the OG11 PS section in the coming days.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
General Strategy [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2007, 21:12
The first step is to understand where the weakness.

Track hit rate of each question category: PS, DS, RC, CR and SC.
Then work on improve the hit percentages of the categories with low hit rate. Once you know the weakness many people in this forum can give good advices.

Working on 25 questions per day is too few IMO. It translates to about 1 hour per day. On the test date the V and Q sections are 75 min each. There will be an AWA section as well. Practice more questions per day can help improve focus and stamina for the test.

Good luck on the preparation.
General Strategy   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2007, 21:12