Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V38
WE: Marketing (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 06:11
All,

I recently started my studies for the GMAT and am having trouble studying the number of hours most people have done on this forum. I was hoping for some help and guidance from those who are in a similar work situation as I am.

I work close to 100-110 hours a week working for an Automotive Manufacture managing Market Research, Consumer Modeling and Analytics. I try to study at least two hours a night, three times a week M-F, and study a total of 4-6 hours between Saturday and Sunday, however, I am having trouble finding the time to really increase the time.

I was hoping some people on this site who were working in excess of 100+ hours, or were working 80+ hours and have a family at home can give some pointers to where I might be able to save some time. I am single and do not have a GF, so I can dedicate all my time to GMAT and Work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 69

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 448

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 08:20
This is hard to answer.
Not having a girlfriend should definitely help. Other than that, you would really need to find 1-2 hours everyday and 4-5 on the Sat and Sun to study. 100-110 hours is pretty heavy and I presume you cannot study in the office hours. But if you do have some free time, try to solve questions from GC forums.

You need to be a bit less social, and dedicate as much time to your prep (when you are sane). It is hard, but try not to have a lot of breaks in your study schedule. Consistency (and smart study) goes a long way.

Welcome to the gmat world :)

good luck!

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 08:39
Many people who take the GMAT work similar hours to yours. I know many people who work 100+ hours a week in investment banking and are still able to find time to study.

You need to space your studying out. Instead of studying every night for two months, you may need to study every other night for four months. The time you spent studying is insignificant compared to the quality of your study time. For example, there are many posts on here and on other GMAT forums where people will study for six months, a year, or even longer and still end up with a 500. If you can understand the concepts and put in quality study time, you could very well score a 700+ with under 100 hours of studying.

If you are going through the MGMAT guides and the three OGs (13, blue, and green), you should be good to go.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 08:44
I found that studying 30 min-1 hr in the morning before work is the best way to absorb the material. I spent approximately 75% of my time doing OG or GMAC software problems and 25% of my time reviewing answer explanations.

If you are short on time, I suggest skipping the first half of OG questions in every section because those are the really easy ones that you probably won't see often on the real test.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q41 V38
WE: Marketing (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 15:12
Everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate hearing the help and the fact that not everyone who necessarily studies 6+ months for the GMAT will instantly score a 700+. The two diagnostic tests I have taken place me at 630 and 650, so I know my starting point. Thanks for the advice, and I look forward to posting more over the upcoming months.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 06:15
I don't think that most native English speakers with a quant background, which you seem to be from your posts, need to study 6+ months for a 700+.

I went from a 650 diagnostic to a 780 Preptest and a 730 on the actual test myself after only ~20 hours (1/3 of OG13 + 1 Preptest + review) of focused studying, and I think that most others have seen similar gains after the initial period of getting used to the GMAT.

Just make sure you use the right (official GMAC) material to study and make sure to learn the concepts behind the questions that you got wrong. Good luck!
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 610 [0], given: 5

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 11:08
Expert's post
Some good advice here.

We also recommend reviewing concepts just before you go to bed and again when you wake up. This helps your brain retain memory better the next day. Do this every couple days and you'll make good progress.

The 3 resources we recommend are:
1) GMATPrep software from mba.com
2) OG 12/13
3) GMAT Pill course. You can also practice questions here: http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 13

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 12:44
Wow...
100-110 hours means that you work, say, 16 hours M-F and 12 hours on Sat and Sun (16*5+24=104), right?
16 hours a day means e.g. 8am-midnight plus commute plus shower. How do you manage to study for TWO HOURS after that? I guess, few people can give you advice - you probably know better yourself.

I can see several solutions:
1. If you want to do your work well, do not change anything. You will simply need more time to prepare for the GMAT. Perhaps you can postpone it for a few months.
2. Tell your colleagues/boss/subordinates that you need to reduce your workload so you can study for your B-school application. Explain that you will not be able to work effectively anyway since you will not be getting enough sleep, so you may make some wrong decisions, and the company may suffer. If this does not help, either switch to choice (1) or quit your job when you have enough money. You would have to do it anyway so you can attend a B-school.
3. If you don't really work 100-110 hours a week but are only present at work during this time, you may be able to study at work, particularly if you are sitting at a computer and if you have Internet access. However, there may be a risk to your reputation, which may also affect your B-school application.
4. If your position at your company is not very high and you cannot be honest with your manager, then simply go to bed late or get up earlier, sleep less, and keep studying. At some point you will get really sick. Then stay home and study in bed. Just make sure you have friends nearby in case you get REALLY sick.

Sergey Orshanskiy, Ph.D.
I tutor in NYC: http://www.wyzant.com/Tutors/NY/New-Yor ... ref=1RKFOZ

Re: Need Advice on Studying for the GMAT   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 12:44