Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studying online vs. Studying using paper books...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Studying online vs. Studying using paper books... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 13:38
I plan on doing a bunch of cat exams, but I also would like to get in some good practice questions online vs. just doing them from the books. I have came across a few websites that have free gmat questions such as plantinum gmat and 4tests, however feel these may not be that representative of the gmat and there is not that many questions.

I have considered purchasing a few ebooks that would give me the questions. Specifically, og 12 and the verbal/quant ebooks.

My 1st question to you is did anyone find themselves more prepared because they studied more questions online vs. just paper books. I mean the Cat is a online exam, and the computer/paper method is different.

I think by doing a bunch of practice cat tests I will be fairly prepared a have a good feel for answering questions on the Cat, but just would like to hear your opinion on the matter. I plan on doing the gmat 1 and 2 alot, and probably many of the gmat club tests, and alot of manhatten, kaplan, etc.

The second question is besides getting ebooks or cd-roms with gmat questions, does anyone know of some good websites that have free gmat questions. I am looking for questions in an big question bank of some sort or just some good websites with alot of questions that aren't put into a practice cat exam, just the questions themselves.

Third question is, can anyone recommend some good ebooks or cd-roms that have alot of gmat questions. They can be free or not, doesn't matter.

Thank you in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9399 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Studying online vs. Studying using paper books... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 14:05
Expert's post
I have a concern that you are overemhpasizing question and test practice.

Rather than rushing into solving questions, kind of like running into a mine field, consider getting a map of the minefield and some strategies to defuse them. Unless you are still in college, you probably won't get more than 600 with that approach. And if you are in college - you probably can take the test tomorrow :)

all-gmat-cat-practice-tests-links-prices-reviews-77460.html
top-gmat-prep-books-guides-reviews-comments-77703.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Studying online vs. Studying using paper books... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 20:26
Hi Bigpete,

First, i'd like to echo bb's comment. It's best not to just study irrationally, but concentrate and have a definite plan.

With that being said, I do think that the CAT tests are a better way to test the knowledge you've picked up, but it shouldn't replace all the paper books. The only thing it should replace are the full length paper tests, which aren't really a good representation of what the test will be like.

For me, this is how my studying crash course played out:

Weeks 1-2: read through paper versions of a Princeton Review book and the Official Guide. The princeton review book covered a lot of the basics. The OG had a lot of good problems and explanations - highly recommended

Weeks 3-4: Practice CAT tests, review answers, then evaluate weaknesses. In my case, my weaknesses were:

Q: permutations, some geometry with triangles
V: sentence correction

I focused on these types of questions when i studied. I also went back to old CAT exams I had taken and re-did problems like the ones I identified myself struggling in. In all, I took about 5 full length CAT tests.

The GMAT prep series, of course, is free. Its score is highly indicative of what you might expect to get on the test, so I'd recommend you take it first to see where you are. Save the second free test towards the end of your studying so that you can gauge how you've progressed.

The other CAT test I'd highly recommend is the MGMAT (Manhattan GMAT). Don't pay $70 or whatever the website charges for them.. if you go on Amazon and pick up one of their paper books for about $20, it comes with 6 CAT tests. The thing I liked about the MGMAT tests is that you can go over the ones you got wrong in great detail, which you can't do with the Gmatprep tests.

So in summary, you're going to need a good mix of paper and online materials to study. My last recommendation is to take manhattan gmat''s free online CAT before you buy any more books, and look at what you're weak in. Next, once you've identified your greatest weakness (or weaknesses), consider buying 1 or 2 of the MGMAT books from Amazon that correlates to your weakness. That way, you get an extra 5 free CAT tests to aid in your studying.

Good luck

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Studying online vs. Studying using paper books... [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 23:50
Dear All,

I can't agree more with my colleagues around here.

Preparing/studying for the GMAT is not a matter of doing tones of CATs but rather a carefully studying.

In fact, what I heard is that you should spend twice time in reviewing (in other words, why your answer is ok or why not) your questions than what you spend doing the questions...

Have a look around here and you'll find dozens of good advises

Regards

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Studying online vs. Studying using paper books... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 08:37
Thanks for the replies. I understand how important it is too focus on certain areas and I am going to do that, but I am in the beginning stages of studying and just would like to get a good overview of all different types of questions.

I don't plan on taking the gmat for a least 5 months, which I will be studying for every day. Part of this is because I am having a hard time concentrating due to some medical issues and it is going to take some time for my medication to help me with this to kick in.

I am fairly good at RC, CR, and getting better with SC. My main focus is going to be the quant section.

As far as a timeline goes, I am thinking something along the lines of this.

1st month--do questions, get familiar with everything
2nd month--take one test, continue working on questions, but focusing more on weak areas
3rd month--take more practice tests, continue working on weak areas
4th month--take a few more practice tests, continue working on weak areas
5th month--take a few tests and then take gmat

The above schedule is all dependent on how well I progress towards my goals. If really start getting some good practice CAT scores and I feel pretty comfortable with the material, then maybe a shorter timeline or vice versa. What do you think?

One thing that I would like find are some gmat books that are available as Ebooks. I typed in "gmat ebooks" in the google shopping sections and a few came up but not that many. I would like to find some manhatten, kaplan, princeton, nova, etc. gmat books that available online so I can start studying in them. Or some other good gmat ebooks, doesn't matter. I just need to get familiar with looking at the questions and answering them online vs. paperbooks. If anyone could provide me with a few links or a few threads that could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: Studying online vs. Studying using paper books... [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 23:14
Hi Bigpete757,

I think your approach could work, however let me give a little piece of advice.

Since it seems you will spend a lot of time at your home (BTW, I hope it's not anything serious), assume the routine of spending 30 minutes answering questions in GMAT Club, not only answering questions of your strong area, but also those of your weak are

This is a good measure to relax

All the best luck this new trip :o

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Re: Studying online vs. Studying using paper books...   [#permalink] 03 Sep 2009, 23:14