Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

85% (01:49) correct 15% (00:39) wrong based on 201 sessions
Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientists.
E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

Edit: Mike McGarry corrected typos & added OA, 2014.02.11
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC on fruit fly! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 15:45
E

I am assuming there is a typo in C, D and E. It's scientists and not scientist
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 16:10
E also.

E) The study ...... has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 20:20
Was thinking between D & E

Opted for E coz I thought that D is in passive voice. Any other explanation on why D is wrong? Views appreciated! :P

A, B, C are definitely wrong due to ambiguity, akward sentence structure, etc.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC on fruit fly! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2006, 21:06
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.
C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist.
E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

Modifier problem

a household nuisance cannot study about the house fly.

B,C,D are passive at their best

E is active and the winner
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 213 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC on fruit fly! [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
trivikram wrote:
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist.
E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.

Modifier problem

It is important to note that SC that are fully underlined tend to be either D or E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2007, 11:04
Quote:
It is important to note that SC that are fully underlined tend to be either D or E.

I thought the ordering of alternatives was random (computerised). But if you have noticed this trend, thanks for sharing.

A similar trend I noticed in Quant section. Whenever there is a problem that requires substitution of answer choices, the answer is likely to be D or E.

best,
parsifal
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC on fruit fly! [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 22:15
bmwhype2 wrote:
trivikram wrote:
jyotsnasarabu wrote:

Modifier problem

Can someone explain me whether this is a case where an article can be omitted??
If it is not, and as far as I know it is certainly not, option E seems incorrect..
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 202 [2] , given: 6

Re: SC on fruit fly! [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 07:21
This post received
KUDOS

A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists. - plain awkward

B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists. - 'and also' is redundant

C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop. - the study enables the scientist not the fruit fly

D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist. - 'and also' is redundant

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 02:29
E is the answer .
but isnt ---> "to begin to unravel" sounding awkward ?
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [5] , given: 23

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 15:39
This post received
KUDOS
Here are my thoughts -
A. Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

- enable" needs to have, as its object, a person/agent who now has the ability to do something.
for instance:
this key enables me to open the lock --> correct, since *i* now have the ability to open the lock -- an ability that i did not have before i acquired the key.
this key enables the lock to be opened (by me) --> incorrect, since the lock is just as "able to be opened" as it was before (the issue is just that *i* couldn't open it)-------------- (learnt this from one of the Ron's posts)

option A does not have an object associated with "enabled" . In short it says " studying the ff has enabled the secrets of <something> to be blah blah . . But doesn't say who has it enabled .

B. By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develo0p to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

Here , if you cut the middle fluff , it seems to indicate that secrets is doing the studying ( it says - it was possible for the secrets ...- You can say "it is possible for him/her , but not secrets ) .

C. By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
Modifier issue - the modifier is modifying fruit fly instead of scientists .

D. By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientists.
The Appositive in the original sentence (a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject) , states a contrasting nature( or call it whatever you want :) ) of the fruit fly . But option D fails to capture it . Also the sentence is much inferior as compared to E. Am sure there are other issues with this , but cant quiet state it in terms of rules. Just sounds wrong when you compare it with E.

E. The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientists to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop.
Correct

Hope that helps.
-Jyothi

Jyothi hosamani

Last edited by gmacforjyoab on 24 Jun 2014, 09:18, edited 4 times in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1524 [2] , given: 248

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 17:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
To begin with, two obvious observations.
1. There is some mistake in the transcription and I believe scientist should be really scientists in contexts in the thread
2. Generally, an appositive modifier has a duty to modify a noun that is just before it, and perhaps if no such suitable noun is available, may settle for another noun that is placed slightly farther. As such, in the given case, the appositive has no such problems, as there is a right royal noun, house-fly, sitting smugly in front of the appositive. So this thread is not testing appositive modification

A quick –fire method would be to eliminate choices that say - and also - instead of the but; Not only does ‘and also’ miss the contrast, but also is redundant. So B and D are out;

Choice A states that studying has enabled the secrets, which is plain absurd;
C states that by studying, the fruit-fly enabled scientists, which is distortion.

This leaves us with E, which amends all the above errors.

Incidentally, which article is missing and where?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2013, 18:55
As per my understanding , "and also " is not Reduandant on it's own . It is redundant only if it is used along with "both" . But by itself , it cannot be ruled out as Redundant . I have seen some official questions where "and also" appears in the correct answer ( can't recall the question though) .
Both X and also Y --- only this format is outright redundant and can be ruled out as incorrect . But in this particular question "and also" is incorrect cos it doesn't conform to the intended meaning (contrast) and not cos of redundancy

Jyothi

Jyothi hosamani

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 103

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2013, 21:31
Just adding one point :

Good point @gmacforjyoab;
Option A)Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled
the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists.

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance..., => Here the appositive is referring back to whole thing 'Studying the fruit fly' ... as if 'Studying' is some adj describing fruit fly ... SO wrong

Option D also commits the same mistake...

rather we should say The study of the Fruit fly,a household nuisance.... --> as in option E

I will be glad if someone can give some more examples from OG or gmatprep where 'v-ing+noun+appositive' becomes bad construction :lol:

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Last edited by BukrsGmat on 25 Apr 2013, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 06:04
sujit2k7 wrote:
Just adding one point :

Good point @gmacforjyoab;
Option A)Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance..., => Here the appositive is referring back to whole thing 'Studying the fruit fly' ... as if 'Studying' is some adj describing fruit fly ... SO wrong

Option D also commits the same mistake...

rather we should say The study of the Fruit fly,a household nuisance.... --> as in option E

I will be glad if someone can give some more examples from OG or gmatprep where 'v-ing+noun+appositive' becomes bad construction :lol:

Hi Sujit2k7 ,

I guess the appositive here is an concrete appositive and hence it doesnt have to refer to studying , rather can refer to the immediate noun preceding the appositive. Hence the issue here is not due to incorrect reference of the appositive.
Perhaps you might want to check this link and a couple of posts by RON on the same topic on manhattan forum .
www.manhattangmat.com/forums/post35386.html#p35386

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

-Jyothi

Jyothi hosamani

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 487

Kudos [?]: 1991 [3] , given: 30

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 12:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Just adding one point :

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance..., => Here the appositive is referring back to whole thing 'Studying the fruit fly' ... as if 'Studying' is some adj describing fruit fly ... SO wrong. Option D also commits the same mistake...

Dear sujit2k7,
The default for any noun-modifier is the Modifier Touch Rule. See this post on modifiers.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
Thus, in the structure [gerund][noun, object of gerund][modifier] it would be perfectly natural for the modifier to modify the noun it touches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with (A) in this regard.
Reflecting on Confucius, the great Chinese philosopher, grants us insights into ....
Properly cooking Brussels sprouts, a member of the cabbage family, is not as hard as ...
This is such a standard and correct form that I can't imagine anything in the OG in which this would be wrong. In this question, choice (A) has other problems, chiefly its passive structure, but the placement of the appositive is flawless.

In many constructions, if the object or predicate of the gerund is relatively short, then having modifier modify the gerund would also be perfectly acceptable,
Reading Shakespeare, a laudable habit in and of itself, can teach one about ....
Jogging up and down stairs, an exercise made famous in Rocky, does less harm to ....
These are all correct. I'm not sure what your question is --- does this answer your question?

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 103

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 20:08
mikemcgarry wrote:
sujit2k7 wrote:
Just adding one point :

Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance..., => Here the appositive is referring back to whole thing 'Studying the fruit fly' ... as if 'Studying' is some adj describing fruit fly ... SO wrong. Option D also commits the same mistake...

Dear sujit2k7,
The default for any noun-modifier is the Modifier Touch Rule. See this post on modifiers.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/modifiers- ... orrection/
Thus, in the structure [gerund][noun, object of gerund][modifier] it would be perfectly natural for the modifier to modify the noun it touches. There is absolutely nothing wrong with (A) in this regard.
Reflecting on Confucius, the great Chinese philosopher, grants us insights into ....
Properly cooking Brussels sprouts, a member of the cabbage family, is not as hard as ...
This is such a standard and correct form that I can't imagine anything in the OG in which this would be wrong. In this question, choice (A) has other problems, chiefly its passive structure, but the placement of the appositive is flawless.

In many constructions, if the object or predicate of the gerund is relatively short, then having modifier modify the gerund would also be perfectly acceptable,
Reading Shakespeare, a laudable habit in and of itself, can teach one about ....
Jogging up and down stairs, an exercise made famous in Rocky, does less harm to ....
These are all correct. I'm not sure what your question is --- does this answer your question?

Wow Mike ...thanks for correcting me...
Still i have one doubt we have seen examples how GMAT tricks on "lowering interest rates" v/s "lowering of interest rates"
Is not in the same way "Studying the fruit fly" is different from "Study of fruit fly"

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 487

Kudos [?]: 1991 [0], given: 30

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2013, 08:21
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Wow Mike ...thanks for correcting me...
Still i have one doubt we have seen examples how GMAT tricks on "lowering interest rates" v/s "lowering of interest rates"
Is not in the same way "Studying the fruit fly" is different from "Study of fruit fly"

Dear sujit2k7
Notice ---
lowering interest rates = good
studying fruit flies = good
but
a lowering of interest rates = bad
a studying of fruit flies = bad
Now, what's very curious about this juxtaposition, the verb "to study" has a noun form "a study", but the verb "to lower" doesn't have a corresponding noun form "a lower" --- the closest noun would be something like "decrease" or "decline"
a study of fruit flies = good
a decrease in interest rates = good
Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Sat: V
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 07-22-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 15:14
jyotsnasarabu wrote:

The options are C, D and E are all wrong with the singular use of scientist. Someone please edit the options.
With "Scientists" the option E is a clear choice.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 5

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 18:06
A) Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists. Wrong - "develop to begin to be unraveled" is wordy and imprecise; the inverted word order also makes the sentence imprecise.

B) By the study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, it was possible for the secrets of how embryos develop to begin to be unraveled by scientists. Wrong - dangling modifier "by the study of the...."; "was" changes the meaning of the sentence, as it is no longer ongoing into the present; "begin to be unraveled by" is wordy.

C) By studying a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, the fruit fly enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop. Wrong - illogical in general; the fruit fly cannot study itself; furthermore, fruit fly cannot enable scientists anything

D) By studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance and also a time-honored experimental subject, the secrets of how embryos develop are beginning to be unraveled by scientist. Wrong - dangling modifier; verb tense changes the meaning of the sentence in that "are beginning" indicates progressive action instead of something ongoing or an eternal state.

E) The study of the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a time-honored experimental subject, has enabled scientist to begin to unravel the secrets of how embryos develop. Best answer - "the study" is the subject instead of a opening modifier and infinitives "to begin to unravel" properly convey purpose.

IMO E.

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Re: Studying the fruit fly, a household nuisance but a   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2014, 18:06