Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [4] , given: 13

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
McCombs Interview:

Interviewer: If you were given 2 round trip tickets to anywhere in the world, where would you go and whom would you take with you?
I: umm....i'd go to Antarctica (not sure why i said this) and would take my kid with me (in my head: think of a reason why not wife..think..you moron think...) I wouldn't take my wife because she doesn't like cold!

** I got admitted though :D

Job Interview:
Interviewer: Do you know what segment of the adult population don't think communication as their priority?
I: No.
Interviewer: it's 37%
I: Ok. But I DO know that 43% of statistics are made on the spot. Including my one.

I wonder why I didn't get the job.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 13:14
I was being interviewed for an MS program.
I was asked: so why haven't you applied for this program to the same school you got your UG from- your school offers the same program as well!
Me: yes I am aware of that. but I got my bachelors from xyz school, developed leadership skills etc there as well. and then got hired for a full time job at xyz. I want some diversity now- I can't be xyz' baby forever! "baby"?? I wished I had just stop at I want some diversity!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 22:51
The last year I was studying engineering I was invited to Belgium for a recruitment event (with $$$ which was odd enough) at the world largest utility group.

At some stage we had to interview with some HR, it went like this:

HR: I see in your resume that you had an internship in New York. That's interesting, how did you find this opportunity?
Me: describe how I cold called a company and got internship (I'm European)
HR: I would really like to work in an exciting place such as NYC! Do you have any additional tips? Is it important to speak well in English?
Me: ...

Belgium...
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [3] , given: 1

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 19:41
This post received
KUDOS
This reminds me one of my stupidest interviews.

It was way back in 1997, I was fresh out of school and internet was the "Magic" word then. I had seen computer only in our labs and had absolutely no idea what is internet and how does it work.

I was interviewed by one of the big internet company ... who had all those wonderful idea of switching on your heater, light before you reach home kind of stuffs!!

All the discussions went extremely well in a very open atmosphere. Then came the deadly question, what is internet?

I gave a big theory like TV, you got an antenna connected to your computer, you send microwave signal to a satellite and satellite relay that request to some BIG computer in NASA, which has all the information!!

The interviewer was amused but he was dead serious, nodding his head in agreement ... so I was encouraged more to elaborate my satellite theory.

I took a paper and draw the diagram, showing two way traffic!!

Interviewer was wonderful, he asked me to calculate the response time.

So I assumed half of the speed of light and came up with some time ... from my home in SEA to NASA and back!!

The interviewer was probably amazed too much and ask the next question ... these antenna and satellite has some latency, so you need to factor in all those delays ... so after discounting those delays what is the response time?

I honestly thought that my theory was bang-on!! So I paused few seconds and gave some thoughts and came up with my discounts with a reasonable time to open yahoo website!!

Now after playing with internet, I know how silly was my theory! and I respect my interviewer, he probably was enjoying my new invention!
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q V0
GPA: 3.73

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 08:20
One of my b-school interviews was going okay (not great) but then I blew it on the last question:

Interviewer: What is a current news story that interests you:
Me:(Mind went blank) - Umm drawing a bit of a blank, the only story I can think of is that meteorite that just hit Russia, yeah I found that interesting.
Interviewer: Okay, why did you find that interesting?
Me: I guess because it's something that rarely happens, so it catches your attention.

I knew it was bad but didn't think it would sink me, but I did end up getting dinged. Anyway it was one that I hadn't fully prepared for, so lesson learned for the future!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 193 [2] , given: 628

Premium Member
Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
In October, I interviewed at Tuck and then Duke in one week. For my Duke interview, travel had been a nightmare and I got very little sleep, so I was definitely feeling off my game. So, about halfway through the interview, I got asked "Why Duke?" and I pulled a kryzak: "Blah blah blah.. and that's why I want to go to Tu... Fuqua."

I was pretty embarrassed in the moment, but I think my interviewer either didn't notice my flub or appreciated how quickly I recovered because somehow I still got in. :)
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 14:30
Interviewing for my first job after college. I was scheduled to interview with a fairly senior person, and her assistant warned me that she was a tough interviewer.

I felt the interview went quite well; we had a good discussion and seemed to understand eachother.

As the interview was wrapping up, she said, "You're clearly very intelligent. I don't think you'd be happy here." I got an offer; I didn't take the job. :)

Katherine
stochastic77@gmail.com
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Booth PT '17
GMAT Date: 05-25-2013
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 10:06
For my 2nd job after college, I was so desperate to get an offer / show up everyone at my old company, I told my interviewer "Money doesn't matter ... "

Edit: I got the job and took it. Felt like a stud for a few weeks at my old company, than my suffering began all over again.

Last edited by ladbom on 20 Mar 2013, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Consulting (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 10:08
ladbom wrote:
For my 2nd job after college, I was so desperate to get an offer / show up everyone at my old company, I told my interviewer "Money doesn't matter ... "

. . . and did you get the job?
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 09:15
jumsumtak wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
My first Interview for a Job straight out of college.

Interviewer - "How many cabs are there in NYC?"
Me - "I have no idea"
Interviewer - "How would you figure that out?"
Me - "Google"

I didn't get that job... I didn't know that type of question existed at the time...

a friend had a pretty similar experience.

He was asked how many pigeons would you find in Delhi. He was at his abusive best when someone told him he had to guess-estimate the thing instead of laughing like a retard and mumbling "no one can answer this". Even after the interview, he took a long time to figure out that the question was for real.

I don't understand -- what is the point of these questions??

KUDOS please if my post was useful!

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2013, 09:30
mattce wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
My first Interview for a Job straight out of college.

Interviewer - "How many cabs are there in NYC?"
Me - "I have no idea"
Interviewer - "How would you figure that out?"
Me - "Google"

I didn't get that job... I didn't know that type of question existed at the time...

a friend had a pretty similar experience.

He was asked how many pigeons would you find in Delhi. He was at his abusive best when someone told him he had to guess-estimate the thing instead of laughing like a retard and mumbling "no one can answer this". Even after the interview, he took a long time to figure out that the question was for real.

I don't understand -- what is the point of these questions??

To analyze your problem solving skills. Also, they are asked because instead of doing all of that yard work his wife wanted him to do, the random middle manager interviewing you read an exciting book about interview questions the weekend before... So now, since his wife is angry at him, he'll take his rage out on a 21/22 year old looking for their first job out of college.

In summary, because interviewers suck.
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1012 [0], given: 937

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 07:32
Expert's post
Re: Stupidest thing you/interviewer have said in an interview   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2014, 07:32