Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 13:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Style in essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Style in essays [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2005, 20:10
Scott/Omari:

Just a quick question. How imp the style is in essays ? If one is able to put his/her thoughts across effectively, does good style gives some added points in essays. In other words, do adcoms really care abt style in essays as long as the thoughts are put out in a crystal clear and in an effective fashion ?

One more question:

I am getting one reco from my previous manager but most likely not seek the 2nd reco from my current boss as I believe it might hamper my career progress and perhaps job security. Therefore, I am planning to ask my peer in my current company to give me a reco. This person holds a same position as me i.e. a Sr. position, which is next to my boss's. My question is: How badly my app gets affected by not getting reco from my current manager and rather have my peer to write a reco for me ? Will using the optional essay to explain this choice of reco suffice to mitigate any affect ?

Last edited by banerjeea_98 on 26 Aug 2005, 06:56, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2005, 06:55
Expert's post
Style absolutely matters. The ideas in the essay are most important, but a injecting some style into an essay helps the adcomms see you as a real person, not just a bunch of words on a sheet. Don't use gimmicks, but don't be formal and bland, either. Don't feel that you need to be 100% serious in every one of your essays.

Your data sheets will have the hard facts. Let your essays be more than that. Remember, the essays are your best way to help them see you as a real person (unitl you niterview)... Use that chance to make yourself sound interesting!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2005, 06:58
Thx Quixx for ur response. I have edited my earlier post and have an additional question. Wud appreciate your feedback on the reco ques I have.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2005, 07:02
Expert's post
This is actually pretty common. Schools know that applicants don't always want to tell their bosses that they're leaving. As long as your previous manager worked with you relatively recently, you'll be fine.

Re: the peer reco, I would say that a reco from someone above you tends to be better, HOWEVER, really the most important thing is that the person knows you well, has really worked with you a lot, and can truly speak to your strengths and weaknesses. If that's the case, then the peer reco should be fine.

You can use the optional essay for this, but it's not completely necessary. Don't call more attention to it than necessary. A lot of other applicants do the same thing.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews