Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Subject-Verb and Modifier Identification in RC

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Subject-Verb and Modifier Identification in RC [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 08:53
Hi Experts,

I read in some RC notes that it is very helpful to identify subject-verb and modifier in Reading Comprehension. Given the complex statements of GMAT RCs, I see that the knowledge of SV-M could be used to identify who....what...why...how details of the action, however I am not able to fully grasp(and apply) this concept on my own.

please explain the correct usage to SV nd M identification in comprehending RCs

BTW My strategy for RC is to make short notes(RC diagram I call it)

sample passage

from the notes where the above stated concept was mentioned:

Adjective (A), Past Participle (PP), Present Participle (PR-P), Noun (N), Gerund (G),
Verb (V)

During (Prep) the nineteenth (A) century (N), occupational (A) information (N) about women
that was provided (Passive Verb) by the United States (A) census (N) —a population (A)
count (N) conducted (PP) each decade—became (V) more detailed (A) and precise (A) in
response to social (A) changes (N). Through 1840, simple (A) enumeration (N) by household
(N) mirrored (V) a home-based (A) agricultural (A) economy (N) and hierarchical (A) social
(A) order (N): the head (N) of the household (N) (presumed male or absent) was specified
(Passive Verb) by name, whereas other (A) household (A) members (N) were only indicated
(Passive Verb) by the total (A) number (N) of persons (N) counted (PP) in various (A)
categories (N), including (PR-P) occupational (A) categories (N). Like farms (N), most
enterprises (N) were family-run (Passive Verb), so that the census (N) measured (V)
economic (A) activity (N) as an attribute (N) of the entire (A) household (N), rather than of
individuals (N).
The 1850 (A) census (N), partly responding (PR-P) to antislavery (A) and women's-rights (A)
movements (N), initiated (V) the collection (N) of specific (A) information (N) about each
individual (N) in a household (N). Not until 1870 was occupational (A) information (N)
analyzed (Passive Verb) by gender (N): the census (A) superintendent (N) reported (V) 1.8
million women (N) employed (PP) outside the home (N) in "gainful (A) and reputable (A)
occupations (N)." In addition, he arbitrarily attributed (V) to each family one woman "keeping
(PR-P) house (N)." Overlap (N) between the two groups (N) was not calculated (Passive
Verb) until 1890, when the rapid (A) entry (N) of women (N) into the paid (PP) labor (A) force
(N) and social (A) issues (N) arising (PR-P) from industrialization (N) were causing (V)
women's (A) advocates (N) and women (A) statisticians (N) to press (Verb – infinitive) for
more thorough (A) and accurate (A) accounting (G) of women's (A) occupations (N) and wages
(N).

--------------------------------------------

Never Say Die

die die die die die die die die
--------------------------------------------

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4774 [1] , given: 163

Re: Subject-Verb and Modifier Identification in RC [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Maverick04308 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I read in some RC notes that it is very helpful to identify subject-verb and modifier in Reading Comprehension. Given the complex statements of GMAT RCs, I see that the knowledge of SV-M could be used to identify who....what...why...how details of the action, however I am not able to fully grasp(and apply) this concept on my own.

please explain the correct usage to SV nd M identification in comprehending RCs

BTW My strategy for RC is to make short notes(RC diagram I call it)

sample passage

from the notes where the above stated concept was mentioned:

Adjective (A), Past Participle (PP), Present Participle (PR-P), Noun (N), Gerund (G),
Verb (V)

During (Prep) the nineteenth (A) century (N), occupational (A) information (N) about women
that was provided (Passive Verb) by the United States (A) census (N) —a population (A)
count (N) conducted (PP) each decade—became (V) more detailed (A) and precise (A) in
response to social (A) changes (N). Through 1840, simple (A) enumeration (N) by household
(N) mirrored (V) a home-based (A) agricultural (A) economy (N) and hierarchical (A) social
(A) order (N): the head (N) of the household (N) (presumed male or absent) was specified
(Passive Verb) by name, whereas other (A) household (A) members (N) were only indicated
(Passive Verb) by the total (A) number (N) of persons (N) counted (PP) in various (A)
categories (N), including (PR-P) occupational (A) categories (N). Like farms (N), most
enterprises (N) were family-run (Passive Verb), so that the census (N) measured (V)
economic (A) activity (N) as an attribute (N) of the entire (A) household (N), rather than of
individuals (N).
The 1850 (A) census (N), partly responding (PR-P) to antislavery (A) and women's-rights (A)
movements (N), initiated (V) the collection (N) of specific (A) information (N) about each
individual (N) in a household (N). Not until 1870 was occupational (A) information (N)
analyzed (Passive Verb) by gender (N): the census (A) superintendent (N) reported (V) 1.8
million women (N) employed (PP) outside the home (N) in "gainful (A) and reputable (A)
occupations (N)." In addition, he arbitrarily attributed (V) to each family one woman "keeping
(PR-P) house (N)." Overlap (N) between the two groups (N) was not calculated (Passive
Verb) until 1890, when the rapid (A) entry (N) of women (N) into the paid (PP) labor (A) force
(N) and social (A) issues (N) arising (PR-P) from industrialization (N) were causing (V)
women's (A) advocates (N) and women (A) statisticians (N) to press (Verb – infinitive) for
more thorough (A) and accurate (A) accounting (G) of women's (A) occupations (N) and wages
(N).

Unlike 2-3 line SC questions, RC passages are long. You cannot focus on the role being played by each word. Else you will spend half an hour analyzing just one passage. Try to read regularly to increase your speed and comprehension. You will be able to get most of the passage. If there is a question based on a particular sentence, you can go back to it and analyze the sentence properly. What is the verb? What is the subject? Ignore the modifiers to understand the basic skeleton of the sentence etc. Breaking apart the sentence is a strategy useful for SC. It should be used only rarely in RC.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Subject-Verb and Modifier Identification in RC   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2012, 21:54