Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 22:41
Hi friends,

I have joined in PR a month back and only from the last week of october I started studying for GMAT.But,I had my diagnostic test before joining PR and got terrible score of 320 (q- 21 , v - 12), though I didnt concentrated enough on this test.

Actually am aiming to cross 700+ , I have booked the slot for feb 1st week. Have exactly 95 days in my hand, will the days be sufficient enough to crack. Also , I need the suggestions about the books that can yield very good results. Currently I have PR guide and OG-12 edition, could you please help me with your suggestions.

Note:- Am ok in Maths , verbal is my weak area.

Thanks...
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 04:08
Forget PR, this is a waste of time. Get the Manhattan GMAT guides and work through all of them. Then you can take the difficult questions at the end of the PR book. I also started with PR, but they only tell you how to try and error. That might work for 500 pts, but definitely not in the 700+ area. I took the test a few days ago and I can tell you I wouldn't have been able to answer the 4th question in Quant with PR prep.

Just my 5 cents.

Jochen
Manager
Manager
WE 1: IT Business Analyst-Building Materials Industry
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 06:23
I am sort of in the same position you are, I anticipate taking my test in the beginning of February, although I have not booked my date yet. I started studying in the beginning of October and am also shooting for a score around 700. During my first month I decided to focus on quant so I have reviewed the Kaplan Premier 2008 strategies for quant. This took me about 7 days, but I wanted to make sure that I understood the strategies and knew them cold. I actually started with PR and found that it really didn’t help, I recommend Kaplan. The next step in my preparation is to go through all the Manhattan Guides as Jochen suggested. I will make note cards of important concepts and try to review them each day to keep the concepts fresh. That’s a start hope it helps get the wheels turning. Let me know if you need anything else.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 09:35
Almost same situation here. Without studying a word, I scored a meager 500 in the first week of October. I'm aiming for 700 and planning to take GMAT on December 09. I bought the Manhattan Series and plan to know them cold. I'm on my sixth of eight book series. Schemed over Kaplan Math and Verbal Reviews and found them too basic. I'm really impressed with Manhattan so far. But didn't see it cover Probability/Combination/Permutation. Stick to Kaplan or some other for those.
On average, I'm studying for only two solid hours a day. Let's see how much progress I can make. I'm planning to tackle the OG next once I'm done reviewing Manhattan.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 12:35
I am almost in the sames shoes as you.
I am planning to take it in the end of January. But because of my school work, can not concentrate on GMAT.
I would highly recommend MGMAT GMAT books. They must have material. And then, have as many tests done as possible from GMATClub.

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 06:58
Same situation....

I did GMAT in May and got 330 and then did it again last week and got 410...I figured out that I cannot study by myself, so I registered in the online Mangattan course and got the materials and books....I wish I registered in the course from the beginning!!!

I wasted a year preparing for nothing!
Manager
Manager

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 07:31
Montreallady,

Please let us know how the course goes, I have heard good things about the Manhattan Courses. How did you go about studying by yourself, like books, time per week, etc? Where did you go wrong? I also think that all of us in this thread should keep each other updated on lessons learned, mistakes made, and positives aspects of our study plan.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 07:33
please add me to the group.

took gmatprep practice test yesterday to know my starting point.. I scored 450 with Q-29 and V-23 respectively.I know I have to work a lot on my verbal skills and have good idea where to start but regarding quantitative I am kind of dead duck in the water.. With the score ( Q29) I am not sure where I have to start.. Is it bettter to start from basics or would it be better to review strategies for math and just start practicing problems?

My math basics are not bad and not good either..I have good understanding of number properties,algebra and geometry but clueless about co-ordinate geometry and probability.
I am planning to take gmat sometime in january 3rd week and aiming for 700.

Am i being unrealistic in my expectations? I mean with a 450 starting score and 3 months to prepare - is 700 a gettable score?
Intern
Intern

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 10:23
Any tips for the following issues:

1. How do I stay motivated? For instance, if I have three hours to study, it takes at least one to actually focus. Taming the wandering mind has become an issue.

2. Those of you doing the Manhattan series, do you take answer the "In action problems" at the end of each chapter right away or wait 'till later?

I get demoralized every once in a while. Would love to hear about your journey.

P.S. I'm aiming for 700 and planning to take the test end of Dec. or early Jan.
Manager
Manager

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 16:21
PHDGMAT,

I usually do the In Actions problems right after I finish the chapter, it helps me to apply the concepts. I am also going to try to stay fresh with the concepts by choosing 5-10 of these in action problems to do every other day as I move on to different Manhattan guide books. To clarify if I have completed the first 3 guides and have moved on to the fourth I will randomly pick 10 questions from the previous 3guides to stay fresh in those concepts while studying new ones. That is what I plan on doing, has anyone tried this approach and with what results????
Intern
Intern

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 16:39
Sounds good. I'll try it. Thanks a lot. I also plan to do all of OG questions starting on Monday. I figure 20-30 each day will be enough since I have month to go.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2009, 15:56
I went through all Manhattan GMAT questions, but still getting stuck with OG questions. Best thing, I think would be to stay do additional CAT MGMAT tests from the website. Although, I never tried them yet.

Never give up,,,

Manager
Manager

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 04:33
It is taking me forever to get through the MGMAT QUANT books, at the rate I'm going it will take me over 2 months just to get through the quant concepts. Has anyone experienced the same? Am focus on these books too much? By the way I am studying these books about 12 hours per week, with the other time dedicated to doing the OG12 problems they suggest.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ... [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 19:29
I think some of you need some brain boosters :wink:
Re: Suggest me ways to crack GMAT ...   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2009, 19:29