Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestion for MBA in USA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 1

Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hey people, i really need a few suggestion. first let me introduce myself. I completed my Bachelors in Business Information System from nepal in July 2012. I have a CGPA of 3.5, and i have started my own venture and am involved in it. Actually i have been involved in it since the last 3 years (when i was doing my bachelors). I have been planning to do my MBA from India, for which i will be giving my gmat soon. im expecting a score of 700+. i am plannin to start my MBA in June,2013 in India. I will be applying to the top 10 colleges in India.

Now im also thinking of applyin to USA, but it seems that good colleges in USA need around 2-3 of work ex, and i dont want to wait for another 2 years. i wana come back to Nepal and start my own ventures after a few years after my MBA. also the fees in USA for MBA is too high, the fees are almost double the fees i will be paying in India. I want to apply for US colleges in the fall session of 2013. the money is also and issue and also the work ex is an issue. I would really appreciate it if i could get some suggestions related to this. Are scholarships available in USA for MBA, and i have also heard about Reasearch Assistants (i dont know how it works). If u have any idea regarding these reasearch assistants and how to go about it do let me know. Also do suggest some good colleges in USA in which work experience is not mandatory.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2161

Kudos [?]: 7606 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 08:00
Expert's post
I can't see a reason why you need an MBA.
And ad coms will have the same question. As an entrepreneur you would be much better off not getting a bunch debt and spending money on school instead - start your venture, and then, 3-5 years later go for the MBA. Will be a much better experience (if you even need it).

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 06:40
This post received
KUDOS
hello!! thanz for the quick reply!! a few people have already told me this! hehe
but i have my own personal reasons for doing an MBA. and after i start my venture im sure i wont b able to do my mba ever again!! at present im not much involved in my venture, my family takes care of most my the activities, so this is the best time for me to get out learn, explore and gain some perspective!!!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 06:45
This post received
KUDOS
One piece of advise as I have worked with many entrepreneurs who want an MBA degree and plan to continue to run/operate their businesses while in school - remember to discuss what your plans are to manage and grow the business while in school. Admissions will immediately question what you commitment to your venture if you plan on moving away from it and endeavor upon a demanding graduate program.

If you do decide to apply to graduate business school in the United States, remember that the application process is very demanding and to allocate the time and energy to submit a competitive application. You sound as though you have done everything right thus far, just make sure you do the same with the final steps in this complex process.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 07:16
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks Kimberly!! thank you for the advice.. Had a bad luck on gmat scored 660 in my second try, hard luck! just wanted to know do good colleges in USA entertain students with profile like me, the main issue is work ex i guess. I was planning to apply to UCLA, but looking for more options as almost all good colleges have explicitly mentioned that they need 2 years minimum work ex. So now im really confused regarding the options i have for a good MBA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 23:05
even i am searching some good colleges in USA.....
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
UCLA is a great choice for you. This is one school that really appreciates applicants who have taken risks and started their own businesses.
Given your GMAT score, I would say with a strong application that you would be a strong candidate. There are other American schools that do have scholarship money available to international students and you should look into these.

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Re: Suggestion for MBA in USA   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 07:53