Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 04:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2006, 05:29
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments on the posts here.I hope that you can look at my questions and help me:

Asian IT Male
Undergrad: B.S Electrical Engineering.

GMAT: 770 ( V 47 , Q 50)

GPA: Total (7.1/10) i.e 65% { Might be near to 3.0 or LESS on US Scale(Not sure though) }. However the grade trend is downward. The percentage for the final year is bad and is close to 50% with 3-4 D’s. The first 3 years were good and i was generally close to 70%. However the final yr bought my GPA down.

Work Ex: 3.5 yrs total till now. IT ERP Space in middleware System Integration. Worked in 3 different projects in 3 industries. Formally still a developer, but have led a team of 6 people as a module lead in 2 projects. Designation will change next year with promotion.

Extracurricular:Sports: Wrestling: Have participated in National Championship and have certificates for the same. Lawn Tennis: Organized and won Events both at University and school level. Participated in Nationals at Junior level in School.

Community Service: I have participated in programs for HIV/AIDS alleviation. I am a member of rural reach program and I need to visit villages regularly to feed polio drops for kids. I have taken courses in First Aid and sometimes manage patients in Emergency Trauma ward of the Local community hospital. I have done these activities mostly on the weekends. However I have no leadership in these activities.

Short Term Goal -> Process/Operations Consultancy in Non IT domain (preferably finance) Long Term -> Strategy/Management Consultancy and ultimately entrepreneurship.

Applying to:

NYU Stern , CMU Tepper
Indiana Kelley, Texas Mccombs
Vanderbilt, Ohio State and Georgetown.

I don’t have any concrete explanation for my Low GPA in the final yr. The reality is that I lost interest in my major i.e Electrical Engineering and worked on non credit projects for the Computer Science Deptt and the lack of effort in core Electrical Engineering courses reflected in my grades. I also wanted to finish my degree and get working in IT. Basically did not get my priorities right and paid for it.

I have tried to put together an optional essay explaining my grade trends in the final yr. However when I read it critically the whole essay just sounds like a bunch of excuses.

1) I suppose the Admission Committee will not ignore the grade trend in my senior year and might want some explanation. Given the fact that I have no convincing explanations, should I still try to put together an essay outlining the circumstances and my shortcomings. In other words is a lousy optional Essay better than no Essay at all?

2) How would you rate my chances in the schools that I mentioned given the information about my profile in this post.


Thanks very much.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1670
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

Re: Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation ple [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2006, 19:39
imjimmy wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments on the posts here.I hope that you can look at my questions and help me:

Asian IT Male
Undergrad: B.S Electrical Engineering.

GMAT: 770 ( V 47 , Q 50)

GPA: Total (7.1/10) i.e 65% { Might be near to 3.0 or LESS on US Scale(Not sure though) }. However the grade trend is downward. The percentage for the final year is bad and is close to 50% with 3-4 D’s. The first 3 years were good and i was generally close to 70%. However the final yr bought my GPA down.

Work Ex: 3.5 yrs total till now. IT ERP Space in middleware System Integration. Worked in 3 different projects in 3 industries. Formally still a developer, but have led a team of 6 people as a module lead in 2 projects. Designation will change next year with promotion.

Extracurricular:Sports: Wrestling: Have participated in National Championship and have certificates for the same. Lawn Tennis: Organized and won Events both at University and school level. Participated in Nationals at Junior level in School.

Community Service: I have participated in programs for HIV/AIDS alleviation. I am a member of rural reach program and I need to visit villages regularly to feed polio drops for kids. I have taken courses in First Aid and sometimes manage patients in Emergency Trauma ward of the Local community hospital. I have done these activities mostly on the weekends. However I have no leadership in these activities.

Short Term Goal -> Process/Operations Consultancy in Non IT domain (preferably finance) Long Term -> Strategy/Management Consultancy and ultimately entrepreneurship.

Applying to:

NYU Stern , CMU Tepper
Indiana Kelley, Texas Mccombs
Vanderbilt, Ohio State and Georgetown.

I don’t have any concrete explanation for my Low GPA in the final yr. The reality is that I lost interest in my major i.e Electrical Engineering and worked on non credit projects for the Computer Science Deptt and the lack of effort in core Electrical Engineering courses reflected in my grades. I also wanted to finish my degree and get working in IT. Basically did not get my priorities right and paid for it.

I have tried to put together an optional essay explaining my grade trends in the final yr. However when I read it critically the whole essay just sounds like a bunch of excuses.

1) I suppose the Admission Committee will not ignore the grade trend in my senior year and might want some explanation. Given the fact that I have no convincing explanations, should I still try to put together an essay outlining the circumstances and my shortcomings. In other words is a lousy optional Essay better than no Essay at all?

2) How would you rate my chances in the schools that I mentioned given the information about my profile in this post.


Thanks very much.


imjimmy,

"Is a lousy optional Essay better than no Essay at all?" Good question. Answer is, probably not, but the reasons you plan to state in your optional essay are not all that lousy. I think you should state -- briefly -- the reasons you gave me and then mention all the positive evidence since then that compensates for your GPA. Your excellent GMAT is one of them. I'm not saying your optional essay will do you a lot of good, but it may have some mild benefit in eliminating any other reasons they may imagine for your disappointing grades. The key thing to me is your GMAT which definitely shows that your GPA was situational and not a reflection of your abilities. That's the key thing. So I don't think your GPA is a deal-breaker. See Accepted.com's advice on low GPAs.

Assuming your do a good job of giving them leadership and impact stories in your essays and a well-reasoned, mature, savvy goals statement, then I think your odds at all the schools you mentioned is good to excellent, with Stern and Texas being the most iffy of them. My sense is you're underselling your profile a bit ...

Good luck,
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2006, 23:12
Thanks so much Paul. Expert advice from you is extremely helpful and would go a long way in assuaging my concerns. I will now attack my essays with renewed vigour and hope to post some good news on these forums soon!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1670
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2006, 16:57
imjimmy wrote:
Thanks so much Paul. Expert advice from you is extremely helpful and would go a long way in assuaging my concerns. I will now attack my essays with renewed vigour and hope to post some good news on these forums soon!


You're welcome and good luck...
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2007, 12:47
Hi Paul,

I wanted a piece of advice from you, if possible.

I have gotten into both Indiana Kelley and Georgetown.

Financially Kelley works out much cheaper for me since they have given me a tuition waiver and in Georgetown only 60% of the tuition has been exempted.

My background is in Tech consultancy.I'm interested to work in the strategy division of a consulting firm in the short term. I do understand that none of these schools are top ranked programs and therefore have limited opportunities.

But if I had to choose one school based on:

Job opportunities for international students
General reputation of the university.


Do you think one of these schools is a clear winner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time.

( I am not very specific on where i want to work post mba. Both Mid west and east coast are fine with me)

( Rankings: BusinessWeek: Kelley - 18th Georgetown: 22nd
US NEWS: Kelley - 24th and Georgetown: 25th)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 164
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 08:13
imjimmy wrote:
Hi Paul,

I wanted a piece of advice from you, if possible.

I have gotten into both Indiana Kelley and Georgetown.

Financially Kelley works out much cheaper for me since they have given me a tuition waiver and in Georgetown only 60% of the tuition has been exempted.

My background is in Tech consultancy.I'm interested to work in the strategy division of a consulting firm in the short term. I do understand that none of these schools are top ranked programs and therefore have limited opportunities.

But if I had to choose one school based on:

Job opportunities for international students
General reputation of the university.


Do you think one of these schools is a clear winner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time.

( I am not very specific on where i want to work post mba. Both Mid west and east coast are fine with me)

( Rankings: BusinessWeek: Kelley - 18th Georgetown: 22nd
US NEWS: Kelley - 24th and Georgetown: 25th)


Your money goes a lot further in the midwest. Midwest is a much better place to live.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1670
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 11:34
imjimmy wrote:
Hi Paul,

I wanted a piece of advice from you, if possible.

I have gotten into both Indiana Kelley and Georgetown.

Financially Kelley works out much cheaper for me since they have given me a tuition waiver and in Georgetown only 60% of the tuition has been exempted.

My background is in Tech consultancy.I'm interested to work in the strategy division of a consulting firm in the short term. I do understand that none of these schools are top ranked programs and therefore have limited opportunities.

But if I had to choose one school based on:

Job opportunities for international students
General reputation of the university.


Do you think one of these schools is a clear winner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time.

( I am not very specific on where i want to work post mba. Both Mid west and east coast are fine with me)

( Rankings: BusinessWeek: Kelley - 18th Georgetown: 22nd
US NEWS: Kelley - 24th and Georgetown: 25th)


imjimmy,

Well, Georgetown places twice as many of its MBAs in consulting positions as Indiana does (25% to 12%) and I see more top-ranked consultancies among Georgetown's top 10 recruiters than I do Indiana's, so assuming the tuition/money differential is not a major impediment for you, I think Georgetown would be the better bet. But both are excellent programs.

Good luck,
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 118
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2007, 11:51
pbodine wrote:
imjimmy wrote:
Hi Paul,

I wanted a piece of advice from you, if possible.

I have gotten into both Indiana Kelley and Georgetown.

Financially Kelley works out much cheaper for me since they have given me a tuition waiver and in Georgetown only 60% of the tuition has been exempted.

My background is in Tech consultancy.I'm interested to work in the strategy division of a consulting firm in the short term. I do understand that none of these schools are top ranked programs and therefore have limited opportunities.

But if I had to choose one school based on:

Job opportunities for international students
General reputation of the university.


Do you think one of these schools is a clear winner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time.

( I am not very specific on where i want to work post mba. Both Mid west and east coast are fine with me)

( Rankings: BusinessWeek: Kelley - 18th Georgetown: 22nd
US NEWS: Kelley - 24th and Georgetown: 25th)


imjimmy,

Well, Georgetown places twice as many of its MBAs in consulting positions as Indiana does (25% to 12%) and I see more top-ranked consultancies among Georgetown's top 10 recruiters than I do Indiana's, so assuming the tuition/money differential is not a major impediment for you, I think Georgetown would be the better bet. But both are excellent programs.

Good luck,

Thanks once again Paul. Appreciate your suggestions.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1670
Location: San Diego, California
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2007, 19:44
imjimmy wrote:
pbodine wrote:
imjimmy wrote:
Hi Paul,

I wanted a piece of advice from you, if possible.

I have gotten into both Indiana Kelley and Georgetown.

Financially Kelley works out much cheaper for me since they have given me a tuition waiver and in Georgetown only 60% of the tuition has been exempted.

My background is in Tech consultancy.I'm interested to work in the strategy division of a consulting firm in the short term. I do understand that none of these schools are top ranked programs and therefore have limited opportunities.

But if I had to choose one school based on:

Job opportunities for international students
General reputation of the university.


Do you think one of these schools is a clear winner? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks very much for your time.

( I am not very specific on where i want to work post mba. Both Mid west and east coast are fine with me)

( Rankings: BusinessWeek: Kelley - 18th Georgetown: 22nd
US NEWS: Kelley - 24th and Georgetown: 25th)


imjimmy,

Well, Georgetown places twice as many of its MBAs in consulting positions as Indiana does (25% to 12%) and I see more top-ranked consultancies among Georgetown's top 10 recruiters than I do Indiana's, so assuming the tuition/money differential is not a major impediment for you, I think Georgetown would be the better bet. But both are excellent programs.

Good luck,

Thanks once again Paul. Appreciate your suggestions.


You're welcome.
_________________

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Please evaluate my profile- and suggest B-School options scbguy 14 04 Jun 2010, 05:52
Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please imjimmy 0 14 Dec 2006, 05:30
Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please imjimmy 0 14 Dec 2006, 05:26
Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please imjimmy 0 14 Dec 2006, 05:25
Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please imjimmy 0 14 Dec 2006, 05:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Suggestion for Optional Essay and Profile Evaluation please

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.