Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestion needed on retaking the Exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suggestion needed on retaking the Exam [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 11:43
Hi All

I have written the GMAT second time today and got 430 :( . This is my second attempt. I have written it Oct 2010 and got 230. This time I felt I prepared well. Still I couldn't get 700+. Verbal questions were not similar to the ones in OG 13. Passages also Can any one of you please suggest, Do I need to go for any coaching to improve my score?

Quants: 34
Verbal: 16
Total: 430
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Suggestion needed on retaking the Exam [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 17:53
I am not an expert on this, but I am currently preparing myself to take the Gmat for the third time. Last friday I got a 640. Still I need to improve
Q: 45
V:34
What material are you using to study?
I personally use the MMGMAT Strategy Guide Set
I use the OG 12 and 13 edition and the Quantitative and Verbal Review.
For the Cominations and probability I bought the Veritas book (Great book)

The CAT tests that are included whrn you buy the MMGMAT SET are really good practice specially for the Quantitative section in addition to the official software GMATPREP.

I am not a native english speaker, and I have some trouble with the Verbal section, so I took the e-gmat SC course, I think it is worth the money, the explanations are good and it is focused on Non-native english speakers. I went from a 29 to a 34 on the Verbal section. Now I am trying to reach a 38 or 40 on the verbal section, I am focusing on the CR and RC questions. I am planning to buy access to the e-gmat CR course, in addition to re-read and analysing the material I already have.

I hope this helps a bit.
Don´t give up
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Suggestion needed on retaking the Exam [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 06:52
Hi davidlf

I am really happy to see your response. Thanks for your time.

I see you are trying for the third time All the best

I used Veritas books, OG 13, MGMAT SC for my preparation. I I read and understood all the questions in OG 13. The problem I faced was, I was not able to correlate the Manhattan SC strategy with OG. I am not sure how can I fill this gap. I think I need some assistance or I am not sure I am not trying to understand it completely?

I agree with you regarding the Manhattan Quants. I saw improvement in my Quants score after taking all the tests in MGMAT.

You told that you improved from 29 to 34 in Verbal. I also see many of the members says the same thing. How are you measuring it? Will you be taking the same test again one more time? or take different tests many times? Will you be taking the whole exam (AWA, IR, Q and V) all together again or just verbal? sorry for asking many questions. I really want to know where I am missing? I want to learn how to improve my scores?

In my GMAT exam I felt the SC questions are similar to the ones from OG but when I read the CR the questions seems to not similar ones. I am not sure I felt like that because I am not familiar with the topics.

Can you please help me on this or anyone of you please can give me your comments on this? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Reviews Badge
Re: Suggestion needed on retaking the Exam [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 10:55
Hi again.

When I said I improved from a 29 to a 34 .. I am refering to the scale scored on the official results on the GMAT on the Verbal section.
After the first time I took the test I looked for a different approach on how to engage the questions specially SC, so I went back to the basics, I carefully read the SC MGMAT and correlate the information in the chapters with the OG excersices and the SC questions I got from both GMAT PREP test and MGMAT CAT, here I will say the most important thing, is not to try 10000 or a million questions. The way you can improve is to analyze both the correct and incorrect questions you had. And try to fin which topic or topics the question is testing. Once you discovered what are they really testing, try to apply what you know from the theory to the question, it is crucial to identify what are they are really trying to test. And apply a systematic approach to each of the questions.

I like the MGMAT approach on SC but that worked for me. At the same time I agree that even after reading the SC MGMAT you will face difficulties in trying to apply the concepts. I looked for another source in order to complement my preparation I used both e-gmat SC course and GMAT-PILL SC pill. I think both are good in their own way.

e-gmat covers a wide variety of theory, and their explanations are really good. On the other hand GMAT-PILL offers a different approach, more focused I would say in trying to evaluate the questions quickly by finding some kind of pattern. I am not saying one is better than the other, I am just trying to explain my experience.

Practice is really important, maybe you should try the veritas platform, which is cost free and you can practice a lot of questions, they provide explanations when you finish to answer the questions. Also the GMAT PILL offers a platform with sc questions if you want to try for free. Most of the answers and explanations are either here on the gmatclub or in the MGMAT forums.

I will take the whole examn again, there is no other way. Also if you wanna push your math a bit further try to exhaust all the math questions from the MCAT and GMATPREP, but once again the important thing is not just make a bunch of questions, is how to approach the questions and identify which topic is being evaluated, and then remember the possible ways the exam will try to trick you..

On the CR, I difinetly think that I have a problem there, I am not able to get the high difficulty questions right most of the time. I am re-reading the CR MGMAT and the CR power soruce book.. The last one I have to say it goes a bit deeper on the concepts of CR, I am confident that this will help me to improve my performance on CR.

Still considering on buying acces to the CR section on the e-gmat... still not sure about it..

Good luck
Re: Suggestion needed on retaking the Exam   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2012, 10:55