Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 12:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestion - preparation is not yet completed-only 2 weeks.?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 05-12-2014
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Suggestion - preparation is not yet completed-only 2 weeks.? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 20:41
Hi,

I have started preparing for GMAT from October'10. I was able spend 2-3 hours everyday for my study until mid of Nov'10. After that I could not spend enough time until last Friday because of my busy work and other reasons. My exam date is scheduled on Dec-23 (next Friday). At this point of time, I’m not 100% confident to take the exam, because my preparation is not yet completed fully.

I have thorough understanding of basic concepts and studied for PS, DS, SC, CR and RC. But the confidence level is not enough high on RC, SC and PS topics. Now I’m on vacation for next 2 weeks, so I can utilize 7-8 hours per day to get ready for GMAT. In practice tests my scores range is from 540 to 580.

Can I go-ahead and take the test next week. ? or Do I need to postpone to later date and prepare well.? I’m not really sure what could be the best option. What most of our people would do in such a case. ?

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks, Vasu.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Terry, Georgia Tech
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 22

Re: Suggestion - preparation is not yet completed-only 2 weeks.? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 21:16
This post received
KUDOS
Seeni wrote:
Hi,

I have started preparing for GMAT from October'10. I was able spend 2-3 hours everyday for my study until mid of Nov'10. After that I could not spend enough time until last Friday because of my busy work and other reasons. My exam date is scheduled on Dec-23 (next Friday). At this point of time, I’m not 100% confident to take the exam, because my preparation is not yet completed fully.

I have thorough understanding of basic concepts and studied for PS, DS, SC, CR and RC. But the confidence level is not enough high on RC, SC and PS topics. Now I’m on vacation for next 2 weeks, so I can utilize 7-8 hours per day to get ready for GMAT. In practice tests my scores range is from 540 to 580.

Can I go-ahead and take the test next week. ? or Do I need to postpone to later date and prepare well.? I’m not really sure what could be the best option. What most of our people would do in such a case. ?

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks, Vasu.

Hi Vasu,

You have not mentioned your target score. If you are targeting below 700 then please go ahead and take the exam. Anything above that, and I would ask you to give a serious thought about taking it on Friday. Improving from 550-700 is easier than going from 700-750, trust me.

Having said that, I would like to inform you that contrary to what most people might tell you, I have seen from practical experiences that a serious improvement is possible in the last 2 weeks. You say that you have a THOROUGH understanding of the concepts? If it is indeed so then start practicing questions from the end of each chapter in the Official Guide. Particularly, go through the explanations given after you solve 10-15 questions. Also, get used to the option elimination process, especially for DS. For SC, Go through the site called 800score.com. If you start from today, then take a mock test on Friday and see where you stand. Again, take another test on Sunday. Please remember that the GMAT gives you ample time for each question so please evaluate each option very carefully before selecting the right one. If you are -30 or so from your target score, then it is fine. Otherwise, think seriously about postponing your exam.

Also, as you know the GMAT starts with the AWA section. How comfortable are you with this section? I am asking this because being comfortable with this section calms your nerves to a great extent on the actual test day.

All the best! :-D

Samidh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to get in touch if you feel I can be of some assistance to you. You can find me in Facebook if you search!

Consider giving me some kudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 05-12-2014
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: Suggestion - preparation is not yet completed-only 2 weeks.? [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 10:01
Thanks for your 'perfect full' reply. I dreamed about my 'around 700' score, but i realize the efforts are not proportionate enough at this point. However i simply follow your instructions for next 10 days and give a try on 23-Dec.

Whatever the outcome, i must be happy and will be ready for next attempt (with solid preparation) after 2-3 months. I must get a 700 + score. About AWA, i saw very good notes from our gmat club, hope that should help me lot, also I'll spend around 15 hours for that in a day or two.

Please PM me if you have any specific notes/suggestions for me. I look forward to meet you here and facebook.

Kudos.!! Thanks indeed for your help.!
Re: Suggestion - preparation is not yet completed-only 2 weeks.?   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2010, 10:01