Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestion to improve - From 690 to 740+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Suggestion to improve - From 690 to 740+ [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 02:48
Hi all,

I am a 20 years old French university student in Paris (Dauphine) and I am planning to pass the GMAT in order to apply for a Msc. in the UK (when I will have finished my undergrad degree). I am taking profit of the fact I have some free time currently to boost my GMAT score.

My GMAT test is not yet scheduled since I still have at least a whole year before my applications to the Msc. I target (most likely I will apply for some of the programs proposed at the LSE). I already passed the IELTS test and I got 8/9, which is not bad in my point of view, even though I noticed the English level required for the GMAT is much higher.

I am posting because I need some advice concerning the way I should continue studying the GMAT.

Concerning the CATs I already did:
• Approximately one month and a half ago, with no preparation: GMAT Prep test 1: 580 (V31 – Q39)
• Two weeks ago (after going through the 5 MGMAT Quant Guides + All OG12 & OG Quant questions + Kaplan 800): MGMAT CAT 650 (V36 – Q43).
• Yesterday (after reading MGMAT RC & CR + going through OG12 & OG Verbal questions about RC & CR): MGMAT CAT 690 (V39 – Q44).

I tried to get the most from the statistics given by MGMAT CAT in order to know where to focus but it happens that I make mistakes in almost in all kind of questions (i.e.: it seems that my profile is quite balanced, aside of the fact I became a little bit better in verbal than in quant). This is not helping me in knowing where to focus in order to improve my overall score.

During these next days, I will finish the last of the 8 MGMAT books I did not read yet (SC) and I am wondering what to do next (that will maybe be enough to reach 700 but I would prefer to score around 740-780). For this reason, I am currently wondering what would be the best way to break once and for all the 700 level. I see two alternatives (perhaps you can propose other ideas) and I would like to know which one would be the most effective in my situation:
• Digging further into quant books (for instance MGMAT books: Advanced GMAT Quant + Advanced GMAT Quant: GMAT Strategy Supplement) since I am weaker in the quant section.
• Practising a lot more GMAT-like questions (I am thinking about buying the GMAT Club’s tests) as well as going through my error log constituted of all the questions contained into OG12, OGMaths & Verbal I wrongly answered.

I suppose that, eventually, I will do both the two alternatives mentioned with the bullet points above but I don’t know which one I should begin with.

Aside of that, I would be glad to receive any advice you might think would be useful in my situation.

I apologize if my English seems somehow awkward (strangely, I am performing well in the verbal section, so it seems it has no real strong influence on the GMAT verbal section).

Thank you for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 82

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggestion to improve - From 690 to 740+ [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 04:53
I think that you have good verbal and quant skills. This is my opinion:
Quant: You need some more practice. OG's quant is easier than the real one. Because you have exhausted the OG's quant problems, buying other quant books , such as: MGMAT books: Advanced GMAT Quant is a good idea. Other great option is our club's tests: http://gmatclub.com/tests/ . Practice at this level will hone your quant skills and you will achieve your dreamed score in quant. And do not forget to visit our forum's quant section; there are lots of problems there :D
Verbal: I think you must do SC now. SC is pattern. The more you do it, the more you will become accustomed to it. With practice, you can finish SC question with average time below 1 minute so that you can spend more time on RC or CR. MGMAT SC no doubt will help you a lot.
Why don't you try CR bible and verbal review? They are good books for your theory and practice.
About RC: I think you should read daily newspaper such as : Economist, scientific news as its context is similar to GMAT's.
Hope it helps.

Kudos!!!... If you think I help you in some ways....

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 111

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 114

GMAT Tests User
Re: Suggestion to improve - From 690 to 740+ [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 17:24
Re: Suggestion to improve - From 690 to 740+   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2012, 17:24