Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

suggestion to improve strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
suggestion to improve strategy [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 20:13
when i work to improve SC, i do bad at CR and when i work to improve CR, i do bad at SC. I make such silly mistakes which i could not have ever expected. Basically when i work to improve any section on verbal i start doing bad at other 2 sections

Why is this happening to me
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 601 [0], given: 5

Re: suggestion to improve strategy [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 14:54
Expert's post
vikram4689 wrote:
when i work to improve SC, i do bad at CR and when i work to improve CR, i do bad at SC. I make such silly mistakes which i could not have ever expected. Basically when i work to improve any section on verbal i start doing bad at other 2 sections

Why is this happening to me

SC questions require you to think in a slightly different way from the way CR questions make you think. They use different parts of the brain and when you switch from one to the other - your mind is probably still stuck in the other mode. You will need to train your brain to be able to switch back and forth between different parts of your brain in smooth way. If you are having significant trouble, try making the transition slowly. Try 1 SC, then 1 CR. Also try 10 SC then 10 CR. Make a conscious psychological effort to "change mode" - see if that helps.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: suggestion to improve strategy [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 05:50
Looking for advice
i did 33 ques of SC and got 6 of them wrong. I categorized them on the basis of concept they were testing. I realize that all of concepts are clear to me but somehow i marked incorrect answer. What should be my plan of action

2 - Pronoun
1 - idiom, verb, modifier, connecting 2 independent clauses
Manager
Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: suggestion to improve strategy [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 01:34
Hi Vikram,

Knowledge of a rule is not the same as applying the rule. For example take this question on Subject Verb agreement. Now sample these statements:

The direction in which the Earth and the other solid planets—Mercury, Venus, and Mars—spins were determined by collisions with giant celestial bodies in the early history of the Solar System.

The direction in which the Earth and the other solid planets—Mercury, Venus, and Mars—spin were determined by collisions with giant celestial bodies in the early history of the Solar System.

The direction in which the Earth and the other solid planets—Mercury, Venus, and Mars—spins was determined by collisions with giant celestial bodies in the early history of the Solar System.

The direction in which the Earth and the other solid planets—Mercury, Venus, and Mars—spin was determined by collisions with giant celestial bodies in the early history of the Solar System.

The subject "the direction" corresponds with "was determined" and the subject "earth and other solid planets" corresponds with "spin". Tricky right? :)

However even application of the rules can be less complex. GMAT can get really nasty at the higher level, where even knowledge might not be enough.

Here is the "totem pole" of SC:

Level 1: Applying basic rules of grammar such as SVA, Parallelism etc.

Level 2: Applying more complex rules such as tenses,

Level 3: Identifying incorrect idioms, active-passive

Level 4: Concision, clarity, meaning etc

I might have posed more questions than providing answers. However I hope this helps you in the right direction.

Arun

Free GMAT Resources | Ebooks | Videos | Articles |
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/free-resources/

CrackVerbal Live Online Course with 99th%ile Faculty
http://gmat.crackverbal.com/gmat-online

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1170

Kudos [?]: 3029 [0], given: 176

Re: suggestion to improve strategy [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 17:14
Expert's post
I agree with Arun that knowledge does not equate to application. Even though one needs knowledge to be able to apply it, knowledge alone does not guarantee higher score in Verbal. If it did, you could have read 5 B school books (that provide the knowledge) and skipped the MBA all together (and saved a bunch of money).

I have the following questions for you:

1. What is your approach towards solving Sentence Correction?
2. Do you have a defined process for CR?
3. Do you spend a day revising SC/CR/RC prior to your mock?

I take a strategy session where I provide guidelines to avoid such issues. The next one most likely will be this weekend. It would help if you attend the same. Register on e-GMAT or look up the events bar tomorrow for details. You may also view the recording of the previous sessions (you dont need to be a customer, just a registered user).

Regards,

Rajat Sadana

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Re: suggestion to improve strategy   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2012, 17:14