Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions for 2nd GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Suggestions for 2nd GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 03:35
Hi Everybody! This is a really nice website--great design and functionality. Anyway, my question is to those of you that have been successful takers of the GMAT (By successful, I mean you were happy with your score). I took the GMAT back in the summer and scored below 500. I was really shocked at how poorly I scored. However, my problem was that during the test, I was only able to get through about 22 of the Quantatative questions before the time expired (I spent WAY too long on the first 5 questions). Needless to say, I was having severe difficulty with the questions. I scored middle of the road on the Verbal portion and received a 5 out of 6 on the essays. The Math section just killed my scored. I almost decided to not officially submit the test but I wanted to know my score---my mistake! So, I would like to know what strategies you guys would suggest for my 2nd go-around at this test. I have the following books:

-ARCO 30 Days to the GMAT CAT
-Princeton Review Math Workout for the GMAT
-Princeton Review Cracking the GMAT 2002
-The Official Guide for GMAT Review 10th Edition

On my first attempt at the GMAT, I studied the ARCO book, reviewed the Official Guide (although not very thoroughly), glanced at a few sections of the Princeton books, and took a couple practice tests via the GMAC CAT software. I scored okay on those tests but the math sections seemed much easier than on the real thing. I was scoring 600-625 on the practice tests and scored considerably lower on the real deal. The Math questions on the real GMAT just seemed more confusing and less straight-forward than the questions on the practice tests. In summary, any suggestions, tips, advice, whatever, you can give me would help.

P.S. How many hours, days, weeks, months?, should one study for this test? Just curious.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2003, 20:39
Hi detour. I do fall into the category of "successful" by your definition GMAT takes. I scored 610 second time I took GMAT.

I think you do know your own mistake - spending too much time on the first questions. Though they do matter you can't affort to spent that much time on any question and not compete the rest. Remember that GMAT is about managing time as well as about knowledge. Frankly speaking, then I was taking test there was only one question somewhere in the middle that I knew I can solve it if only I had more time, but I had to guess and move on because the problem was just too time-consuming.
Since time is your weak spot I would work on it. I recomment that you get tests from 800score.com and practice. They have built timer in the tests which acually helps a lot - it tells you what question you should be at a particular time. It's great- you can pace yourself that way.

I started to study about 3 months before the test (not regularly though)and 1 week before the test I was taking practice test every day.

ARCO 30 days is a good book - it has some challenging exercises. Books are good but I would recommend to do more of computer tests.

Ulviya

Proud to be Azeri

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2003, 03:11
Hi, I would also reccomend submitting to the dayly E-mail on http://www.deltacourse.com. Some of their math tasks are pretty useful. Also see my post in GMATstrategies.
Good luck.
  [#permalink] 13 Mar 2003, 03:11